Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: Install X Window System and a Desktop Environment

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Kathera Lockharte

#46 Post by Kathera Lockharte »

sinical wrote:DR-DOS? Something isnt right.. Which image did you download?

Try using this one. Alternatively you can use this tool to install Debian
wow thanks, I didn't even know you could install debian linux this way, I will write down the codes in this thread to finish downloading the desktop environment, then back everything that I want to keep up, since I already have several gnu programs so I will beable to get them for shure, then i will delete my windows for now then reinstall it if I choose to.

Kathera Lockharte

#47 Post by Kathera Lockharte »

I am wondering, has all the code that is needed been covered, or is there more, I am sure yet unsure that is all I need to get started.

sinical

#48 Post by sinical »

Before you format, write down what video card, network card and sound card you have. Also, how do you connect to the internet?
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

Kathera Lockharte

#49 Post by Kathera Lockharte »

sinical wrote:Before you format, write down what video card, network card and sound card you have. Also, how do you connect to the internet?
I use navidia Gforce for my video card, my audio card I think is by gigabyte, I can't remember what it is though. I will have to find the cd first because the reason for switching is also due to a few dirty installs that I made, the second one was to do a repair so I could use my mouse since I downloaded the wrong service pack by accident trying to fix my computer. oh and iff you are asking what kind of internet service I have its through bellnet, if you are asking if I am connected to a router then yes I am. If not then I don't know what you meant by how do I connect to the internet?

sinical

#50 Post by sinical »

so long as it isnt wireless you should be fine
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

Kathera Lockharte

#51 Post by Kathera Lockharte »

sinical wrote:so long as it isnt wireless you should be fine
thats good, we have a router that does have WiFi, but the only device I would use on it is my Nintendo DS so I can play online with it.

kasperl

Re: HOWTO: Install X Window System and a Desktop Environment

#52 Post by kasperl »

Scotti wrote: 1. Install The X Window System

First, install the base X Window System GUI environment by issuing this command as root:

Code: Select all

# apt-get install xorg
i have always been using

Code: Select all

# apt-get install x-window-system-core
instead
is there any difference?

MeanDean

#53 Post by MeanDean »

is there any difference?
less typing...

The real package now is called xorg, the other is a fake package that installs the real package.

Lou

#54 Post by Lou »

x-window-system-core is obsolete since the Sarge days:

luigi@debian:~$ apt-cache show x-window-system-core

Description: transitional package for Debian etch
This package is provided to smooth upgrades from Debian 3.1 ("sarge") to
Debian etch. It may be safely removed from your system. It depends on the
xorg package which is the new metapackage for installing the X Window
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

willi23

Installing "X.Org"

#55 Post by willi23 »

Thanks for the reminder to be in root. I wasn't even able to log out, although I knew I always used "shutdown -h now". In root it worked again. The rest of the answer was not so sucessful. The "aptitude update" seemed to work, but the "aptitude install xorg" produced "no file". I then went to the link you included "HOW TO: Install X Window System". Anything with "xorg" in it pnoduced "no file". Other responses to other combinations were "broken package, dependent packages missing, etc,. Nothing produced any list of these packages so that I might try to correct them. Is there a way to uninstall Debian and start fresh. I have the 15 disks that came with this computer "Debian 3.1 r0a Sarge", and were supposed to be installed. Cheers. Willi

bluesdog

Re: Installing "X.Org"

#56 Post by bluesdog »

willi23 wrote:Thanks for the reminder to be in root. I wasn't even able to log out, although I knew I always used "shutdown -h now". In root it worked again. The rest of the answer was not so sucessful. The "aptitude update" seemed to work, but the "aptitude install xorg" produced "no file". I then went to the link you included "HOW TO: Install X Window System". Anything with "xorg" in it pnoduced "no file". Other responses to other combinations were "broken package, dependent packages missing, etc,. Nothing produced any list of these packages so that I might try to correct them. Is there a way to uninstall Debian and start fresh. I have the 15 disks that came with this computer "Debian 3.1 r0a Sarge", and were supposed to be installed. Cheers. Willi
Unless you have a compelling reason to install Sarge, and/or don't have a fast internet connection, it's better to install the current Etch/stable.
Even better, imo, if you have no need for absolute, rock solid stability, you could install Lenny/testing -- better for desktops, again imo.

It is possible to update your system from Sarge/oldstable to Etch/stable, and I think there's a guide somewhere on the forum, but if you're starting afresh, and have broadband, it's probably better to d/l a netinstall image of Etch, (or Lenny) and start over.

btw, if apt/aptitude isn't showing you an installation candidate for xorg, it means your /etc/apt/sources.list probably does not include appropriate repositories.
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

CoolRabbit

Backed up

#57 Post by CoolRabbit »

I back it up!

Debian is a GREAT, GREAT distro, but you have to fuss too much into the manuals to get things going, it shoud of course have the full manuals, but a Newbies-HOWTO project would be AWESOME!!!

wpurcell

#58 Post by wpurcell »

Good Morning! I cannot for the life of me get x started. I followed all the instructions to no avail. My message:
Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Any ideas? The monitor is correctly identified as an Acer AL 2423W.
Thanks in advance!

bommeli

#59 Post by bommeli »

thx.
Last edited by bommeli on 2012-11-25 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

Barnicoate

How??

#60 Post by Barnicoate »

Laptop: Compaq V6000, 1G ram, Nvidia graphics, 64AMD cpu..

Debian 4 on net install...

Install went fine.. Rebooted.. Then no nothing on screen,

Have read through forum, but I cannot see how I am to enter one or more of the suggestions if I can't see what I am typing..

Do I need to do something at boot time ????? :?:

TristanDee

#61 Post by TristanDee »

Is this thread dead for god's sake? The last post is five-months old!
It has been a useful place for things related to xorg.

Bro.Tiag

#62 Post by Bro.Tiag »

TristanDee wrote:Is this thread dead for god's sake? The last post is five-months old!
It has been a useful place for things related to xorg.
Nope, I'd say it's still relevant. Some bit's and pieces may be dated for testing & unstable, but for stable it still applies.

Cheers

TristanDee

#63 Post by TristanDee »

Bro.Tiag wrote:Some bit's and pieces may be dated for testing
Yep, most discussions seem to be for Etch although most people perhaps run Lenny/Sid.

Bro.Tiag

#64 Post by Bro.Tiag »

TristanDee wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:Some bit's and pieces may be dated for testing
Yep, most discussions seem to be for Etch although most people perhaps run Lenny/Sid.
Aye, but the original post is still relevant for installing the X Window System and a Desktop Environment. The only real issue is screen resolution, which is dealt with in another thread.

Cheers

sir fer

Re: HOWTO: Install X Window System and a Desktop Environment

#65 Post by sir fer »

this thread is awesome...opened up a whole 'nuther avenue of experimentation for me...trying e17 and IceWM as sole DEs funZ0rs galore >< haha :mrgreen: