Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

initrd.img symlink to /boot/initrd.img niusance

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
gerry

initrd.img symlink to /boot/initrd.img niusance

#1 Post by gerry »

I have recently added Debian Jessie/XFCE to my laptop, which already had Mint 17.1 and Puppy Slacko 5.7 on it, the Puppy being a frugal install. I let Puppy look after the booting, because Grub2 does not recognise frugal installs, so the menu file has to be manually created, using section 40-custom.

Anyway, neither Puppy grub4dos, nor Mint Grub2, can see the Debian /boot/initrd<etc> file by way of the symlink from the base directory. Puppy constructs a menu file without the initrd line, whereas Mint (using Grub2) misses Debian out altogether, presumably it thinks that no entry is better than a partial one!

The problem is that the symlink is (I think) an absolute one, pointing to /boot/initrd.img<version>. It seems that it needs to be a relative symlink.

If I delete the original symlink, and create a new one:

ln -s boot/initrd.img<version>

then the other distros can boot Debian ok. Do you see the difference? The present symlink has /boot/..., the one that works has boot/, ie no leading /.

So changing the symlink will allow the other distros to be in charge of booting- but only until a Debian update changes the initrd.img version number, and puts back the leading /. Then the symlink needs to be changed again.

So I gave in, and edited the grub.d custom file in Debian to include Puppy. So now Debian has made sure that it is top of the list when I boot.... is this all a deliberate plot?

Edit: afterthought- the similar vmlinuz symlink works. The difference is that the vmlinuz symlink points to a file, the initrd symlink points to a disc image. Anyone know why this matters?

Edit: oops, I need to change my signature, I'm 79 now.
gerry
Age 80- and still learning!