Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: [Experimental] Debian 2.6.20 kernels!

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
synux

HOWTO: [Experimental] Debian 2.6.20 kernels!

#1 Post by synux »

Hello!

I know that there are some people who aren't so patient to wait for Debian Lenny to get a Debian 2.6.20 kernel. Well, there is an unofficial repository where Debian Developers upload the new kernels... and here's a small snippet for you to have the repository:

Code: Select all

su
echo 'deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ trunk main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
wget http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/key
apt-key add key
rm key
apt-get update
Now just execute apt-cache search linux-2.6.20 and you can pick up a Debian 2.6.20 kernel to test!

From my experience, the kernels work wonderfully on my PC and every bit and byte works like a charm. I hardly suggest this for people who want to taste the future of Debian!

Cheers,
Synux
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

gillbates

#2 Post by gillbates »

Thanks. I have my 64b AMD debian box running on 2.6.20-1 now. Running quite stable...

without usb freeze at all. I have another thread in the forum with the usb mouse freeze details if anyone is interested !

But my thinkpad42 failed to boot "waiting for root files.." and stuck. + I have had troubles in configuring the wireless too. ipw2200 firmware is loaded and dmesg shows it all. But no connection. I dont have the T42 with me now. I will post the detailed info as soon as i get home,...

synux

#3 Post by synux »

Nice to see that someone is as bleeding edge fan as I am :P
About the problems... well, you knew they are "experimental", didn't you ;)

rickh

#4 Post by rickh »

Tried it, but I couldn't install my fglrx (8.31.5) drivers. Found a reference to a required patch, but after poking at it gingerly for a little bit, I decided I could wait a little longer.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

synux

#5 Post by synux »

rickh wrote:Tried it, but I couldn't install my fglrx (8.31.5) drivers. Found a reference to a required patch, but after poking at it gingerly for a little bit, I decided I could wait a little longer.
Sadly I have only PCs with NVIDIA cards, can't help you :(