Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How-To: Pulseaudio

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
m_l

#31 Post by m_l »

Thanks for this How to. Helped me get more functionality from pulseaudio.

El1iP3S01D

Fellow Debianist...

#32 Post by El1iP3S01D »

I'm running Debian Sid xfce amd64 and i've just finished installing pulseaudio. My question is this, what does this line mean, E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

Folks, Pulseaudio does work!!! It works with Adobe's 64 bit Flash plyaer 10.d22.87 and Mplayer... I'm using Debian xfce amd64 Sid, i'm using Pulseaudio system wide and it works...as a matter of fact i love that u could use your own EQ settings as an EQ... My only complain is that Audacity does not work with Pulseaudio; I'm guessing is a configuration problem on my part, yet i report that Pulseaudio does work and i wish that Lennart could add Underwater and Powerful feature to the EQ.... 8)
By the way, Ryoko my Turtle and Saleen s7 TT rule my world...:-p

Hadret

Re: How-To: Pulseaudio

#33 Post by Hadret »

Working fine on GNOME 2.26 Debian Testing/Unstable. Just wondering - anybody else have same issue, that when system starts, system sound is muted and there's need to launch PulseAudio sound settings to change that? Is there a way to save those settings?

rplantz

#34 Post by rplantz »

Hadret wrote:Working fine on GNOME 2.26 Debian Testing/Unstable. Just wondering - anybody else have same issue, that when system starts, system sound is muted and there's need to launch PulseAudio sound settings to change that? Is there a way to save those settings?
Same here. I get the login sound okay, but then I have to turn on the system sound after gnome has started.

Can anybody point me to a good description of how the sound system is set up? When I first installed sid I had no sound. I went through all sorts of things with alsa. The driver was loaded okay. I could play sounds with aplay from root, but not from user. None of my applications had sound. Then I installed pulseaudio and everything worked. I would like to understand the relationship(s) between pusleaudio and alsa, and why I needed to install pulseaudio. And, yes, I'm looking for the gory technical details.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the discussion at http://linux.com/news/hardware/drivers/ ... t-doing-it seems to be out of date, but it's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Probably with even more detail.
Given how each of us started life, our similarities are much more remarkable than our differences.

hellfire[bg]

#35 Post by hellfire[bg] »

Last dist-upgrade of my Debian Unstable installed pulse audio. I had several problems with it - first there was no sound in skype, second there was now sound mixing (meaning that most of the time there was only application that could have sound - for example if i play an mp3 in rhythmbox there was no sound in the flash videos i`m playing in iceweasel or no sound the games i play in wine - normally these would all mix), third seeking in mplayer was terrible - very slow and choppy, and last - suddenly another volume indicator icon appeared in my icon tray (i use GNOME) - besides the volume control applet which already was there. After i spent several hours trying to resolve the skype problem (i tried the pulse audio perfect setup) i just gave up and removed pulse audio. Are these problems common?
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Hadret

#36 Post by Hadret »

Just two links about new feature in PulseAudio: Does mute issue in GNOME still persist?

argon99

#37 Post by argon99 »

I had some problems setting up Pulse Audio here is what I did to get it to work.

I tried this with debian, ubuntu and fedora, latest editions for them all. I followed this how2 but I didn't get any sound from my claro card. Debian has a problem with hal. This compounded the situation so I dumped it. I went to ubuntu but I couldn't get sound to work with the claro card. But it did work with a sound blaster. I then installed fedora 11 on a differnet computer and put the claro card in it. It didn't work. I used alsa-info to get the information about what alsa was doing on the fedora box. I noticed that the drivers were all 1.0.18 while the rest of alsa was 1.0.21. I downloaded the alsa drivers for 1.0.21 from herehttp://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page and compiled and installed the 1.0.21 drivers on the fedora box. Everything worked!! Had sound with flash and vlc worked with the pluse plugin and I could play mp3 and wav files no problem. I then went and tried this with the ubuntu box. I compiled and installed the 1.0.21 drivers but no joy. I ran alsa-info and found out that ubuntu was using older utils and lib as well as older drivers. I tried to update them as well but again no joy. Ubuntu isn't configured to let me do that. Many of the alsa programs would not compile because of missing dependancies. And I couldn't install them because they were not listed in synaptic. Curses is one of them. At this point I have a working system, fedora 11, that uses pulse and my new claro card so I wasn't interested in debugging ubuntu I am now in the process of loading fedora 11 on the box I wanted the claro card for. I hope this bit of information will help out those that want to get pulse working. I'm sure that if you can jump through all the hoops to get all of alsa updated to 1.0.21 you will be happy. But there are many hoops, good luck.

El1iP3S01D

#38 Post by El1iP3S01D »

Folks, do you need Alsamixer to make Pulseaudio work, because i have no sound?

El1iP3S01D

#39 Post by El1iP3S01D »

Mr. bigshot, i followed your how to the letter and i can't for the life of my hear the audio or any sound on my Debian Lenny xfce4 64 bit? any input that you could offer? My mobo is a Asus P5N-D and it is a HD audio chip set by nvidia and chip sound by Realtek...

praka123

64-bit Debian with Pulseaudio and 32-bit flashplugin :

#40 Post by praka123 »

Firstly, I am on a 64-bit Debian Squeeze with 32-bit Flash Plugin.
--
I Moved off to 32-bit Adobe Flash Plugin with nspluginwrapper After Following @Craigevil's Thread here:
Howto get Adobe Flash working in 64bit
And Flash Works Fine On Iceweasel,Chrome etc.
--
BUT ,Pulseaudio was not enabled earlier.Add a new entry with below content to your startup using Gnome startupmanager(or whatever startup scripts You have) :

Code: Select all

start-pulseaudio-x11 -D
^Of course ,with pulse,pulse-access groups as local user's secondary groups.
Pulseaudio Works Fine with most Applications and Multiple Instances are also working Fine.
--
But Iceweasel ,Chrome Browsers are not having Sound with Flash Video(Youtube for eg) AS, I have 32-bit flashplugin installed using nspluginwrapper.

Then ,I saw this Bug Report:
Debian BTS:Please add libgdbm3 and libwrap0

ldd /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so also showed 32-bit libgdbm3 and libwrap0 missing.
I have to extract(dpkg-deb -x xy.deb /path/to/directory) libgdbm3_1.8.3-9_i386.deb,ibwrap0_7.6.q-19_i386.deb to the respective lib32 directories and it worked!
Now I have sound with Flash Video in Browsers.
PS:There is No Need to edit /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc to add padsp etc as in the First Post.

Hope it Helps.
Debian (Testing/Unstable)

Hadret

#41 Post by Hadret »

Anybody using PulseAudio + OSS4 with success? (:

Parsifal

#42 Post by Parsifal »

Hadret wrote:Anybody using PulseAudio + OSS4 with success? (:
I've just got PulseAudio working on my machine with OSS4, although I still can't work out how to get JACK to see it (and JACK2 doesn't seem to like to work with OSS4 directly, either; I got it to work temporarily by building JACK1 myself from source). I followed this easy guide to make PulseAudio see OSS4:

http://www.opensound.com/wiki/index.php ... Pulseaudio

This page was quite helpful too, in testing the setup (Warning: /dev/urandom is a source of random noise, so make sure your volume is turned way down before you try the first command here!):

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Configurin ... io/Testing

There's also this page, which I found very helpful in getting ALSA to see PulseAudio (since I couldn't get ALSA emulation to work on OSS4, I'm doing it through PulseAudio instead) and with general troubleshooting:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
Email: steven@steven-mcdonald.id.au
IRC: Parsifal on Freenode and OFTC
XMPP (Jabber): steven-mcdonald@jabber.org.au

jlinkels

#43 Post by jlinkels »

My apologies if I hi-jack this thread.

I just installed Debian Squeeze, and let Pulse installed instead of removing it like I did on most of my other computers. The 100.000 dollar trick is to install PulseAudioVolume control as well to get it working. I wonder why this is not installed by default when Pulse cripples the audio system. Without PulseAudioVolume there is no way to uncripple it!

Anyway, I have huge problems with Skype 2.2.0.35. I can get Skype to work with Pulse. Not difficult at all. In Control Panel I have assigned my USB headset to the "Communications" application.

In Skype, both system sounds and regular audio are assigned to PulseAudio.

In PulseAudioVolume I have configured the profiles for the various audio hardware present, and I see them correctly in the Output Devices and Input Devices tabs. When I make a test call with Skype, in the Playback and Recording tabs I see Skype being active, and I see the VU meters (progress bars indicating the sound level) moving.

The problem is however that after a random time mostly between 10 and 60 minutes, Skype does stop working with Pulse. I haven't touched anyhting related with sound or Skype, but suddenly Skype doesn't seem to connect to Pulse anymore. Sometimes I can resolve this by starting a test call again, sometimes by restarting Skype, sometimes by restarting KDE.

When I restart KDE, I don't do anything else and Skype is functional again until the next time it stops. Of course, when someone calls me, Skype doesn't work which is both annoying and embarassing.

Anyone seen this before?

jlinkels

sej7278

#44 Post by sej7278 »

i've noticed with skype that i have to make a test sound or test call before i make a call, otherwise i get silence with vu meters bouncing around.

i also noticed at gdm startup where the sound should be, there's a big pause and then the user selector renders.

methinks there's still plenty of bugs in pulseaudio on wheezy, but its certainly better than alsa.

vbrummond

#45 Post by vbrummond »

Vanessa13 wrote:Do you experience any slowness when using pulse audio. I followed this howto and when i used pulse audio my system was quite slow. The problem came from mplayer rhythmbox and all applications that use audio. For example when i use alsa and esd mplayer takes about 5% cp usage. When i use pulse audio it takes about 50-60%. I tought that the reason for this was that i did something wrong but it was the same in Fedora.
Edit: In answer to your first question: No, pulseaudio has very low cpu usage for me.

Hi Vanessa13! I was just going to supply some more information about pulse I learned here when you posted. Good timing! Try this (just to see if it works). From the debian documentation on pulse:
PLEASE NOTE: PulseAudio's default configuration uses high quality sample
rate conversion that may be overly CPU intensive. If PulseAudio's CPU usage
is unacceptable on your hardware, please change the resample-method option
in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to either src-linear or trivial. See daemon.conf
for more details.
To to this open a root terminal and run this command:

nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
Change the line that says "; resample-method = speex-float-3" to "resample-method = src-linear". It should look something like this:

; log-backtrace = 0

resample-method = src-linear
; enable-remixing = yes
; enable-lfe-remixing = no

Press CTRL+X to save if you used nano and then Reboot. Does this help?
Last edited by vbrummond on 2011-08-02 10:18, edited 2 times in total.
Always on Debian Testing

vbrummond

#46 Post by vbrummond »

Here is some more information on pulseaudio that helps me a lot. I will go by problems/solutions sort of basis.

Problem #1: Flash videos 'steal the sound' from other applications.

I fixed this by setting up alsa to use pulseaudio by default. I might need some more testing to see if it actually fixes the problem. To fix:

1. Open a root terminal and create a file called /etc/asound.conf

nano /etc/asound.conf
2. Add the following into the conf file:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
3. Press CTRL+X to save the file and then reboot.

Problem #2: Changing volume per application does not work. (For example changing the volume icon in Rhythmbox makes the system volume change).

To fix this just change a setting in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf about flat volumes.

1. Open a root terminal and run:

nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
2. Change the line that says "; flat-volumes = yes" to "flat-volumes = no".

; enable-lfe-remixing = no

flat-volumes = no

; rlimit-fsize = -1
3. Press CTRL+X to save the file and then reboot.

Problem #3: ALSA problem where some channels in 5.1 surround seem really quiet.

Not strictly pulse related I think the way to fix this is to enable downmixing. I do not have many surround files so some feedback would be helpful. Please note you nee libasound2-plugins package installed for this to work.

1. Open /etc/asound.conf again.

nano /etc/asound.conf
2. Add the following below the rest:

pcm.!surround51 {
    type vdownmix
    slave.pcm "default"
}
3. Press CTRL+X to save and reboot.

Hopefully these help some folks! :)
Last edited by vbrummond on 2011-09-05 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Always on Debian Testing

sej7278

#47 Post by sej7278 »

since the recent pulseaudio updates to wheezy, skype has gone very crackily and still i have silence on boot until i play with alsamixer's 2channel/6channel setting.

sej7278

#48 Post by sej7278 »

Hadret wrote:Working fine on GNOME 2.26 Debian Testing/Unstable. Just wondering - anybody else have same issue, that when system starts, system sound is muted and there's need to launch PulseAudio sound settings to change that? Is there a way to save those settings?
holy moly, i can't believe i have that same issue 2 years since this comment was posted!

secipolla

#49 Post by secipolla »

I have GNOME 3 and it uses pulseaudio as default (sid version). I installed the system from standard (no desktop) with no recommends so I didn't even install alsa-base. Pulseaudio has been working perfectly, so to speak. The only hurdle I had to jump was that creation of /etc/asound.conf (plus making sure libasound2-plugins was installed) for Flash to work with pulse at the same time as other apps.
The independent volume changing also works fine.

This muted volume isn't alsamixer interfering? Otherwise it may be a GNOME failure, I think.

sej7278

#50 Post by sej7278 »

i'm getting a lot of static lately - pa volume meter for recording is bouncing up and down around 15% when there's nothing being recorded! tried 2 mic's, made no difference.

not sure if this is due to recent pulseaudio updates or kernel-3 in wheezy.

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfbff8000 irq 52

lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)

edit: its not the kernel as its the same in 2.6.39-2 and 3.0.0-1 so its probably one of the recent pulseaudio/gstreamer updates.