Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How-To: Pulseaudio

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
vbrummond

Re: How-To: Pulseaudio

#46 Post by vbrummond »

Here is some more information on pulseaudio that helps me a lot. I will go by problems/solutions sort of basis.

Problem #1: Flash videos 'steal the sound' from other applications.

I fixed this by setting up alsa to use pulseaudio by default. I might need some more testing to see if it actually fixes the problem. To fix:

1. Open a root terminal and create a file called /etc/asound.conf

Code: Select all

nano /etc/asound.conf
2. Add the following into the conf file:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
3. Press CTRL+X to save the file and then reboot.

Problem #2: Changing volume per application does not work. (For example changing the volume icon in Rhythmbox makes the system volume change).

To fix this just change a setting in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf about flat volumes.

1. Open a root terminal and run:

nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
2. Change the line that says "; flat-volumes = yes" to "flat-volumes = no".

; enable-lfe-remixing = no

flat-volumes = no

; rlimit-fsize = -1
3. Press CTRL+X to save the file and then reboot.

Problem #3: ALSA problem where some channels in 5.1 surround seem really quiet.

Not strictly pulse related I think the way to fix this is to enable downmixing. I do not have many surround files so some feedback would be helpful. Please note you nee libasound2-plugins package installed for this to work.

1. Open /etc/asound.conf again.

nano /etc/asound.conf
2. Add the following below the rest:

pcm.!surround51 {
    type vdownmix
    slave.pcm "default"
}
3. Press CTRL+X to save and reboot.

Hopefully these help some folks! :)
Last edited by vbrummond on 2011-09-05 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Always on Debian Testing

sej7278

#47 Post by sej7278 »

since the recent pulseaudio updates to wheezy, skype has gone very crackily and still i have silence on boot until i play with alsamixer's 2channel/6channel setting.

sej7278

#48 Post by sej7278 »

Hadret wrote:Working fine on GNOME 2.26 Debian Testing/Unstable. Just wondering - anybody else have same issue, that when system starts, system sound is muted and there's need to launch PulseAudio sound settings to change that? Is there a way to save those settings?
holy moly, i can't believe i have that same issue 2 years since this comment was posted!

secipolla

#49 Post by secipolla »

I have GNOME 3 and it uses pulseaudio as default (sid version). I installed the system from standard (no desktop) with no recommends so I didn't even install alsa-base. Pulseaudio has been working perfectly, so to speak. The only hurdle I had to jump was that creation of /etc/asound.conf (plus making sure libasound2-plugins was installed) for Flash to work with pulse at the same time as other apps.
The independent volume changing also works fine.

This muted volume isn't alsamixer interfering? Otherwise it may be a GNOME failure, I think.

sej7278

#50 Post by sej7278 »

i'm getting a lot of static lately - pa volume meter for recording is bouncing up and down around 15% when there's nothing being recorded! tried 2 mic's, made no difference.

not sure if this is due to recent pulseaudio updates or kernel-3 in wheezy.

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfbff8000 irq 52

lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)

edit: its not the kernel as its the same in 2.6.39-2 and 3.0.0-1 so its probably one of the recent pulseaudio/gstreamer updates.

airborne_rodent

#51 Post by airborne_rodent »

Just to clear things out: wheezy doesn't by default have neither pulseaudio or esound (with the latter being un-installable, seems like it's been removed for good). So it's either pulse or 'pure' ALSA (which is the default). Am I right?
--
@sej7278
I have just installed pulse in wheezy (using actually mrbigshot's approach), fully succesfull with no problems and no static (and I have 3.0... kernel).
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

sej7278

#52 Post by sej7278 »

airborne_rodent wrote: @sej7278
I have just installed pulse in wheezy (using actually mrbigshot's approach), fully succesfull with no problems and no static (and I have 3.0... kernel).
yes i've posted elsewhere that it seems to be down to alsa not pulse for a change :lol:

still can't fix it after a few alsa/kernel updates though, its meant that i've had to do away with using skype, which could get costly. think it must be drivers for my motherboard/chipset.

rfrayer

#53 Post by rfrayer »

Personally id recomend the home directory as some apps just dont run on pulse

for example heres my psx start file

#! /bin/bash
mv .asoundrc .asoundrc-tmp
cd /opt/pSX
killall pulseaudio
./pSX
cd ~
mv .asoundrc-tmp .asoundrc
pulseaudio -D

morrigan

#54 Post by morrigan »

this guide really helped; I installed pulseaudio before already, but didn't know about asound.conf/.asoundrc at all and thus didn't have any software mixing (and amarok always occupied the sound device D: )

now, everything's running okish, I just have 3 problems:

-pulseaudio volume manager uses gtk libraries and I want to get rid of them - can you recommend a kde or python based ui for configuring pulse?

-with alsa, I could mute single channels, e.g. the speakers only which were attached to the backpanel while still having sound on my headphones (attached to the front audio output). With pulseaudio, all channels are unified however... Is there a way to split them or mute single ones? Workarounds are appreciated

-when starting, the console output displays something like "pulseaudio configured for per user sessions only [warning]" - anyway to fix this or should I just ignore that?

vbrummond

#55 Post by vbrummond »

I do not know about the former ones, but I am fairly sure you can safely ignore the last one. I never had any issues.
Always on Debian Testing

LightVision

#56 Post by LightVision »

Thank You,

The code

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
worked for me like a charm. I have an Asus K53U and the only solution to get sound was installing pulseaudio. And now, after creating the .asoundrc, I have sound eaven in Iceweasel (adobe flash player - flashplayer plugin non free).
I do web design and PHP/MySQL Programming.

I like to manage my Debian XEN Servers for VPS and web hosting

Alleghenia

#57 Post by Alleghenia »

This *might* be worth a sticky. I've read numerous forums looking for a solution to the very common problem "NO SOUND IN FLASH, YOUTUBE," etc. The information in this thread provided a partial solution, but I was not able to get any sound in my browsers with flash. I upgraded my kernel, compiled alsa from source and I installed all PulseAudio components and utilitities. I installed the flash tarball from adobe. Still, no sound with flash. Then I removed the package flashplugin-nonfree and immediately PulseAudio took the reins and flash worked with sound in my browsers. Seems Pulse has a flash plugin bundled or something like that. I removed the flash plugin with this code:

sudo apt-get autoremove flashplugin-nonfree
I think the flash tarbalI unzipped and installed may still be on the system, but I don't know how to check. Perhaps with some setups, the problem is there are conflicting flash plugins?

shirish

#58 Post by shirish »

Hi all,
I have no audio for last two days. I am on Debian sid. These are the versions of the programs I have :-

ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio 0.10.31-3               GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  libao4                  1.1.0-2                 Cross Platform Audio Output Library
ii  libasound2-plugins:amd64 1.0.25-2                ALSA library additional plugins
ii  libgconfmm-2.6-1c2      2.28.0-1                C++ wrappers for GConf (shared library)
ii  libglademm-2.4-1c2a     2.6.7-2                 C++ wrappers for libglade2 (shared library)
ii  libpulse-dev:amd64      2.0-3                   PulseAudio client development headers and libraries
ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0 2.0-3                   PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0:amd64         2.0-3                   PulseAudio client libraries
ii  paman                   0.9.4-1                 PulseAudio Manager
ii  paprefs                 0.9.10-1                PulseAudio Preferences
ii  pavucontrol             1.0-1                   PulseAudio Volume Control
ii  pavumeter               0.9.3-2                 PulseAudio Volume Meter
ii  pulseaudio              2.0-3                   PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-esound-compat 2.0-3                   PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer
ii  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth 2.0-3                   Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-gconf 2.0-3                   GConf module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-jack  2.0-3                   jackd modules for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-x11   2.0-3                   X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-zeroconf 2.0-3                   Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils        2.0-3                   Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
pulseaudio-module-hal and libpulse-browse0 are not present as this is in sid, guessing these package won't also be in wheezy.

All of the version info. I have given above can be found out by just doing :-

$ dpkg -l pulseaudio libao4 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 paprefs pulseaudio-module-jack gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio pavucontrol pulseaudio-module-x11 libasound2-plugins libgconfmm-2.6-1c2 paman pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-utils libglademm-2.4-1c2a libpulse0 pavumeter pulseaudio-esound-compat libpulse-dev pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-zeroconf 
As can be seen these are installed on 64-bit Debian. Now I have already put up a bug-report on the Debian BTS .
Bug # 676652 .

I am using GNOME 3 with gnome-fallback. One of the issues I *think* is that in Applications > System Tools > Preferences > GNOME System Settings > Sound . In Sound for output it says Dummy output and there does not seem a way to change it. I don't think it should be dummy output there, should it ?

Update: Even pavucontrol shows dummy output in output devices. In Show Hardware Output Devices it shows

"No output devices Available" , but how is this possible ?

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfea78000 irq 44

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
I am using kernel 3.2.0-2-amd64 which was built on June 1 (from Debian sid) and have /etc/asound.conf exactly as shared above by another user as well as in your own guide.
Last edited by shirish on 2012-06-10 09:01, edited 7 times in total.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

vbrummond

#59 Post by vbrummond »

The problem is with alsa. Even with pulse installed my alsa device still shows up.
Always on Debian Testing

shirish

#60 Post by shirish »

vbrummond wrote:The problem is with alsa. Even with pulse installed my alsa device still shows up.
Could you elaborate on what that means and what should I be doing ?
Another thing in your guide/post you have written :-

ps_ax | grep pulseaudio
shouldn't that be :-

$ ps ax | grep pulseaudio
 3473 ?        S<l    3:36 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
 3501 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/pulseaudio/pulse/gconf-helper
24625 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep pulseaudio
Because if I do ps(underscore)ax I get nothing.
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

vbrummond

#61 Post by vbrummond »

This isn't my guide, I just took up the slack in one of the last pages with some interesting tidbits I learned about modern pulseaudio. :P

Anyway I am sorry to say I am not really an alsa expert. (Were I in your place) I would find out what your sound card is and what module is supposed to use it. Then find if your kernel has this module and is it currently in use (modprobe nameofmodule). If it was compiled in the kernel but not enabled it might be blacklisted (not sure where stuff is blacklisted these days). If the modules is in use and still doesnt work I would internet search information about your specific card and alsa. Also I would ensure all of the essential alsa packages are installed (they probably are). Then after following a bit of alsa troubleshooting to no avail. Look if oss4 supports your card.

Sorry to say I do not know much more than how to find better information. And please excuse the lack of more specific help, I have been rather busy lately.
Always on Debian Testing

shirish

#62 Post by shirish »

vbrummond wrote:This isn't my guide, I just took up the slack in one of the last pages with some interesting tidbits I learned about modern pulseaudio. :P

Anyway I am sorry to say I am not really an alsa expert. (Were I in your place) I would find out what your sound card is and what module is supposed to use it..
Ok baby steps first.

Isn't this info. good enough as far as sound card is concerned as given in my previous post or you/we need something more?

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfea78000 irq 44

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

vbrummond

#63 Post by vbrummond »

It is enough to get started on I suppose. This guide is for ubuntu but it should be mostly relevant (except for the ubuntu specific alsa source stuff) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

Chances are there is someone else with the same problem which is why I suggested a search. Though it seems like it is detecting it fine, does alsa really have no mixers? Try:

alsamixer -c0
Always on Debian Testing

shirish

#64 Post by shirish »

vbrummond wrote:It is enough to get started on I suppose. This guide is for ubuntu but it should be mostly relevant (except for the ubuntu specific alsa source stuff) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

Chances are there is someone else with the same problem which is why I suggested a search. Though it seems like it is detecting it fine, does alsa really have no mixers? Try:

alsamixer -c0
alsamixer -c0 shows this :-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Apparently the chip is VIA VT1705.

Speaker is at full .

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
The above does not work.

$ sudo aplay -l
[sudo] password for shirish: 
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: VT1705 Analog [VT1705 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: VT1705 HP [VT1705 HP]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Trying to find the sound modules gives me this :-

$ find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/usb/caiaq/snd-usb-caiaq.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/usb/misc/snd-ua101.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/usb/usx2y/snd-usb-usx2y.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/usb/usx2y/snd-usb-us122l.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/usb/6fire/snd-usb-6fire.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/pcsp/snd-pcsp.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-portman2x4.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/opl3/snd-opl3-lib.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/opl3/snd-opl3-synth.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-dummy.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/vx/snd-vx-lib.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-aloop.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-mtpav.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-serial-u16550.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-mts64.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-virmidi.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/snd-cs8427.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/other/snd-pt2258.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/other/snd-tea575x-tuner.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/other/snd-ak4113.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/other/snd-ak4xxx-adda.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/other/snd-ak4117.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/other/snd-ak4114.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/i2c/snd-i2c.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-es1968.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-ens1370.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/lola/snd-lola.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-layla24.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-gina20.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-darla24.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-indigodjx.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-echo3g.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-mia.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-gina24.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-mona.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-indigodj.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-indigoio.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-layla20.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-darla20.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-indigoiox.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/echoaudio/snd-indigo.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-via82xx-modem.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-sonicvibes.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-fm801.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-als4000.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-atiixp.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ice1712/snd-ice17xx-ak4xxx.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ice1712/snd-ice1724.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ice1712/snd-ice1712.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0m.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cs5530.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/riptide/snd-riptide.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/asihpi/snd-asihpi.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-ad1889.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ymfpci/snd-ymfpci.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/lx6464es/snd-lx6464es.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ca0106/snd-ca0106.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ali5451/snd-ali5451.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-via82xx.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/vx222/snd-vx222.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-als300.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cmipci.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ctxfi/snd-ctxfi.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-cmedia.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-cirrus.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-realtek.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-ca0132.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-via.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-conexant.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-analog.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-idt.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-hdmi.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-si3054.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec-ca0110.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-es1938.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-atiixp-modem.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-rme32.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/korg1212/snd-korg1212.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/mixart/snd-mixart.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-bt87x.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/cs5535audio/snd-cs5535audio.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-rme9652.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdspm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/oxygen/snd-oxygen-lib.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/oxygen/snd-virtuoso.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/oxygen/snd-oxygen.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-rme96.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/au88x0/snd-au8830.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/au88x0/snd-au8810.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/au88x0/snd-au8820.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/nm256/snd-nm256.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-azt3328.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/trident/snd-trident.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-maestro3.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/snd-cs4281.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/pcxhr/snd-pcxhr.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1x.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1-synth.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/synth/snd-util-mem.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/synth/emux/snd-emux-synth.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sb-common.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sb16-dsp.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pcmcia/vx/snd-vxpocket.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/pcmcia/pdaudiocf/snd-pdaudiocf.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/snd-rawmidi.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/snd-hrtimer.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-dummy.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-device.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi-event.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-midi-emul.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-virmidi.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/firewire/snd-isight.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/firewire/snd-firewire-speakers.ko
/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/firewire/snd-firewire-lib.ko

$ lspci -v | grep -A7 -i "audio"
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83a1
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 44
	Memory at fea78000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Also tried this :-

$ sudo modinfo soundcore
filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
alias:          char-major-14-*
license:        GPL
author:         Alan Cox
description:    Core sound module
depends:        
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.2.0-2-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions 
parm:           preclaim_oss:int
The only things remaining are making a new user and figuring out my soundcard driver name.

Update: Even with a new user added and changed to, nothing changed. Had the same issue there as well :(
Last edited by shirish on 2012-06-10 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

vbrummond

#65 Post by vbrummond »

It is sort of odd everything seems.. like it is working. The module is snd_hd_intel and it is working. :| I really don't know.
Always on Debian Testing