Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox 44 is faster with hal

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
HarborView

Firefox 44 is faster with hal

#1 Post by HarborView »

hal, the hardware abstraction layer, is obsolescent and Debian does not install it by default. It is, however, in the repostiory.

I have an old laptop. I am using Wheezy.

I always manually install Firefox. I have been doing that since I started with Firefox 0.9. I am a fanboy.

I test each new version against the Acid tests. I have a profile called Empty so it is not bogged down on Acid 3 which is a speed test.

Given these facts, after installing Firefox 44 a few days ago I dawdled at looking at the system requirements. I saw that Mozilla recommends installation of hal.

I installed hal and tested Acid 3 and got a 40% improvement in speed, that is, the test ran in 60% as much time. (Yes, I tried multiple runs and I did not cherry pick the best one.)

On my regular profile, loaded up with my favorite add-ons, I got a 15% improvement.

Sure, Mozilla ought to optimize for udev one of these days. They probably will. That's why I said "Firefox 44" over and over again.

"Your mileage may vary."

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Firefox 44 is faster with hal

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Firefox is just ridiculous when it comes to GNU/Linux development.

Hardware-accelerated video playback is still not supported :roll:

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210729 & https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1210727

Why does it have a tickbox then?
:x
deadbang