Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to Have a Pleasant Installation (for Debian Newbies)

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
rickh

#61 Post by rickh »

I still think the title is missleading.
Tough!

All I can guarantee is that if anyone follows it, they'll have a clean, efficient working system. If that's not what they want, there are plenty of other howtos.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

muskrat

#62 Post by muskrat »

All I can guarantee is that if anyone follows it, they'll have a clean, efficient working system.
Once again a type on your part. Or missleading, I'm not ssure which. If one follows your example, they will have a "Clean efficient working BAREBONES system". From there one has a lot of work to get it up to speed.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

rickh

#63 Post by rickh »

What they'll have is a system built correctly from the ground up, ready to be tweaked to their own desired configuration. In other words, they'll have a truly Debian system; not some Ubuntu wannabe mishmash.

It's kind of peculiar, you saying, "Well, I followed it and it worked, but it's too difficult for other people."
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

MeanDean

#64 Post by MeanDean »

Clean efficient working BAREBONES system
From there one has a lot of work to get it up to speed
Exactly the way it should be. Why have a ton of stuff starting at boot, a lot of stuff installed that you do not use, and a lot of stuff not installed that you do want - instead of everyone picking and choosing their favorite apps to create their own perfect setup? That is the reason to choose debian. Every distro (including debian) has the one CD *canned* install that includes about the same bunch of default apps and a pretty wallpaper. If that type of install is what you are looking for then no how-to is necessary.

That being said, I think the title is poor BUT he has the standard disclaimer
“Right,” in this case, being the way I think it should be done.
I think the title should be "rickh method - installing the base environment (with debian intro)" that way we could all contribute our own "username method - installing the base environemnt (with debian intro)" how-to and maybe it could then be a seperate section of sub-forum. Actually, it would be a two good how-tos in this case - intro to debian and installing the base environment and rickhs how-to could go in both or be split into two. Would also be a good idea for "username method - from basic install to fully usable system" how-tos. Actually, I think that is how a "how-to" section should be organized (with different sub-sections covering distinct parts and contributers stating that it is their method not the only method) but I know there is no point in suggesting a change around here.

rickh - damn good how-to that isn't my way of doing things but still damn good how-to of your way!

muskrat

#65 Post by muskrat »

t's kind of peculiar, you saying, "Well, I followed it and it worked, but it's too difficult for other people."
That's not what I siad at all.
'm sorry I didn't reliaze there was two classes of newbies, But even then I wouldn't advice some one new to debian to take your path. It'd give them a bad experiance of debian. It's a great way to build a bare bones system. And I've tried several times but failed, your way works great.

But I'm not new to debian nor linux, and I used all my knowledge to do it, and the system isn't up to speed yet, I have to study and do reseach on some items yet.
In another words, I'm not a newbie to Debian nor Linux, and it took all my skill way beyond your how to. I'll say again your Howto is a great howto to build a barebones system, I've tried and failed following other howtos on that subject.

But a Howto for a barebones system is far different than a "Pleasant Installation (for Debian Newbies)". We're talking Apples and Oranges.
I think the title should be "rickh method - installing the base environment (with debian intro)" ....
....rickh - damn good how-to that isn't my way of doing things but still damn good how-to of your way!
I aggree 100%, I was just trying to be helpful suggesting rickh change the title, The Howto is great and would be quite usefull, but most people looking to do a barebones install, don't consider themsleves Newbies and will just skip right over this great howto and miss a good thread.

But rickh I'm sorry you seem so sensitive about your post, you did put a lot of work into it and it is great, it just needs a different title so the right audiance will be able to find it. Please forgive me for offending you. I really didn't expect a responds like yours.
I still think the title is missleading.

Tough!

All I can guarantee is that if anyone follows it, they'll have a clean, efficient working system. If that's not what they want, there are plenty of other howtos.
So I'll bow out, And send people here that need it, but I will never send a Linux Newbie/Debian Newbie here. Sorry it's just not for Newbies.
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

Issyer

#66 Post by Issyer »

muskrat wrote:I really didn't expect a responds like yours.
Rickh is an unique teacher. He wants newbies after installing debian to get if not to Sid then right to testing at least. And if a newbie screws something, then reinstall because:
Re-installing is an excellent learning experience.

rickh

#67 Post by rickh »

I certainly do not recommend that Debian newbies should use Sid. Testing is where they belong.
Many people use [Sid] all the time with minimal problems, but it's probably not a good idea for inexperienced users for the simple reason that when you don't really know what you're doing, it's difficult to tell if your problem is related to operator error or bugs in the software.
...And reinstalling a few times is very beneficial both to Linux and Debian newbies. That's why the Howto makes an issue of placing /home on a separate partition.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

plugwash

#68 Post by plugwash »

Lavene wrote:Just to kill this one off right away: Mods and admins can see every posters IP. And unless someone is beamed half way across the world several times a day this is two different persons.
I would just like to point out that if someone wanted to appear from two IPs on opposite sides of the world they would not have to physically move. There are loads of public proxies and even if you scan for those people can still setup private ones.

rickh

#69 Post by rickh »

Just did a little tweaking primarily related to the D-I in Testing ... and a vanity bump.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

uticks

#70 Post by uticks »

rickh,
As somebody who has used various flavours of Linux in the past, I would like to thank you for your excellent article on "Debian Pleasant".
I had one or two problems installing Etch, particularly with the screen resolution.
alpha645 sorted me out on that but I then noticed the "Testing" route which on the face of it sounded counter-intuitive for a newbie to Debian.
As you say, it just works without a load of junk being installed.
I have learned from the experience and I am sure that I will learn more about Debian as I proceed further.
:D

m_l

#71 Post by m_l »

rickh,

Thank You, this got me started on the right track.

PS3nurse

Re: How to Have a Pleasant Installation (for Debian Newbies)

#72 Post by PS3nurse »

For what it's worth, as a noob, I installed Debian Lenny on my laptop and found the entire installation process to be very straight forward, and unbelievably fast compared to Windows Vista. My only real challenge came when I had to install the madwifi module because the ath5k module in kernel 2.6.26 didn't work. I finally got my wifi working with the help of you pros in this forum! Thankyou for the patient support you show us new Linux users; some other forums can be pretty tough on us.