Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Howto: Current qBittorrent from a repo for Buster thru Sid

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
stevepusser

Howto: Current qBittorrent from a repo for Buster thru Sid

#1 Post by stevepusser »

Update: see last entry. Current versions can't be built on Jessie and Stretch any longer.

And it's not going to be a PPA--they are built on 100% gen-yoo-wine Debian virtual machines.
Many will argue that qBittorrent is about the finest Bittorrent client available for Linux, but unfortunately it hasn't been updated in Debian since 3.3.7, and the current release is at 3.3.13. So I've set up an OBS repo with an additional newer libtorrent-rasterbar engine for it to use, tweaked the qBittorrent /debian files somewhat to make it automatically build on Qt 4 if it sees it's building on a Jessie base, but use Qt 5 if on Stretch (which saves me making two different source packages :D ), and they successfully built:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... bittorrent

So the instructions, which must be run as root, not sudo, for Jessie to add the repo and key are:

Code: Select all

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/qbittorrent/Debian_8.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qbittorrent.list 

rm -f Release.key

wget -nv http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:qbittorrent/Debian_8.0/Release.key -O Release.key

apt-key add - < Release.key

apt update
After this, the new qbittorrent package can be installed or upgraded in the regular manner. The Stretch commands are very similar:

Code: Select all

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/qbittorrent/Debian_9.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/qbittorrent.list 

rm -f Release.key

wget -nv http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:qbittorrent/Debian_9.0/Release.key -O Release.key

apt-key add - < Release.key

apt update
One of the reasons that qBittorrent got stuck is no doubt that versions newer than 3.3.7 want at least 1.1.2 of the 1.1.X libtorrent series to build against, and Stretch's was frozen at 1.1.1.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2020-04-27 01:57, edited 2 times in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

Re: Howto: Get current qBittorrent from a repo for Debian 8

#2 Post by stevepusser »

libtorrent-rasterbar engine updated to 1.14 and qBittorrent updated to 3.3.14.

huero

#3 Post by huero »

Thank you for taking the time to post this information.. I use Qbittorrent on a near daily basis and being able to run the latest, greatest version is something I enjoy...

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

huero wrote:Thank you for taking the time to post this information.. I use Qbittorrent on a near daily basis and being able to run the latest, greatest version is something I enjoy...
Thanks for the feedback! I really don't know of any way to get statistics of how many downloads I'm getting from one of those repos.

I'm going to update the libtorrent-rasterbar packages to 1.1.7+git from the qBittorrent PPA, and qBittorrent itself to the latest 4.1.1 release. Hopefully the OBS isn't overburdened like it was a few days ago.

Edit: sources are loaded, packages are building, and I added Debian testing, since it's been stuck on 4.0.3 in Buster & Sid for a while.

huero

#5 Post by huero »

Once again THANK YOU. I barely had downloaded the first version and then there's already another update.. :)

magma1447

#6 Post by magma1447 »

I tried your deb package today. I am very grateful for its existence, even though it didn't work out to well for me. I am running Debian 9 Stretch. Added your repository and ran an apt-get install qbittorrent.

When launching the program I had 0 torrents in my client. Before the upgrade I had quite many. I am happy that a downgrade to my old package worked though, still had my torrents there.

Any clue why they didn't exist after upgrading? I was upgrading from v3.3.15.
Last edited by magma1447 on 2018-09-23 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

No...you're the first person that's reported any issue with losing torrents during an upgrade. As far as I know, it should have picked up the existing ones from the folder in your home directory.

magma1447

#8 Post by magma1447 »

Thanks, I will redirect the question to qBittorrent's forum then.

magma1447

#9 Post by magma1447 »

This is just an FYI for others who might stumble on the same issue.

Figured it out now. Two years ago I had similar issues. Some others also had the issue and a patch was created. That patch exists in the 4.0 branch, but not in 4.1. I have now downloaded your 4.0 deb instead, and it works fine. I ended up with creating this support ticket at GitHub.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

If you update now to 4.1.3, do your torrents come through the upgrade, or are they still disappearing? If they come through, I could update the above posts to add the double upgrade procedure.

magma1447

#11 Post by magma1447 »

stevepusser wrote:If you update now to 4.1.3, do your torrents come through the upgrade, or are they still disappearing? If they come through, I could update the above posts to add the double upgrade procedure.
Sledgehammer suggested that as well, sadly it did not help.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

It's been a while since I updated this thread, but the repo's not dead. In fact, qBittorrent 4.2.2 is now available for Debian Buster through Sid:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... bittorrent

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... rent-4.2.X

stevepusser

Re: Howto: Get current qBittorrent from a repo for Debian 10

#13 Post by stevepusser »

Updated to the current 4.2.3 release.

stevepusser

Re: Howto: Get current qBittorrent from a repo for Debian 10

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Updated to the current 4.2.5 release.