Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: create qemu network bridge in debian 9

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
popeyesfx

HOWTO: create qemu network bridge in debian 9

#1 Post by popeyesfx »

Hi

I am working on a project around a raspberry pi, to do it i have had to install debian 9 in a vm (which is up and working great and can be accessed from my local network) into which i have installed qemu (which also works well). I have managed to sort the latest raspbian stretch image out and can now start qemu with the image and it runs great, but i cannot get the network interface to work. I want to have the pi appear on my network as a normal machine along side debian, so that i can access it from my programming machine via ssh.

I have searched the internet and read alot of different pages but none of them seem to work (most have been very old). Being new to debian i am not sure if i am doing things right, and different pages say different things
which has got very confusing. I checked out the wiki page but again its confusing.

so far :

I have installed bridge-utils

modified the pi image to have a fixed ip on my local network (192.168.2.000)

modified the interfaces file:

Code: Select all

auto lo eth0 br0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_maxwait 0
    bridge_fd 0
debian vm has ip of 192.168.2.1

and i can start qemu with:

Code: Select all

sudo qemu-system-arm -kernel ./kernel-qemu-jessie -append "root=/dev/sda2 panic=1 rootfstype=ext4 rw"
    -hda stretch-lite.img -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -M versatilepb -no-reboot -serial stdio
    -net nic -net user -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no
but the pi is not seen on the local network like i thought it would be.

does anyone have any thought or can point me to a recent page i can look at

thanks in advance

popeyesfx