Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

FYI: Getting wifi to work on Lenovo E585 Ryzen laptop

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Laurel

FYI: Getting wifi to work on Lenovo E585 Ryzen laptop

#1 Post by Laurel »

Hi all, in case anyone is having difficulties getting their wifi to work on this laptop, here's how I solved the problem. Thanks again to stevepusser and bw123 for helping me out with my HDMI/Vega issues, which I then applied to this problem.

First off update hardware ID database:

Code: Select all

update-pciids
update-usbids
Run lspci. Find out the name/model of the wireless device:

Code: Select all

04:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)
Google Debian firmware for the model number. The specific device is listed here:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-atheros

Download the firmware, dpkg -i it.

Reboot and enjoy :)

pylkko

Re: FYI: Getting wifi to work on Lenovo E585 Ryzen laptop

#2 Post by pylkko »

better yet, install the package with a package manager (like apt or synaptic or gnome software).

stevepusser

Re: FYI: Getting wifi to work on Lenovo E585 Ryzen laptop

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Updating the hardware ID database will only work if you already have a Net connection, so if your only hope for that is to get the wi-fi working, Catch-22. But it's only to hopefully make the output better for recent devices, and can be skipped.
MX Linux packager and developer