Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: Speeding up Debian

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
craigevil

#106 Post by craigevil »

System tweaking :: sidux.com :: debian based live cd development
http://sidux.com/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=tweaking

The part about deborphan is the only part I wouldn't suggest using if you run Sid.

Using OpenDNS and the internet tweak part along with all the IW tweaks I use has made my internet just fly.

"preload is an adaptive readahead daemon. It monitors applications that users run, and by analyzing this data, predicts what applications users might run, and fetches those binaries and their dependencies into memory for faster startup times."
http://sourceforge.net/projects/preload

Preload used along with prelink, means even apps like OpenOffice and Firefox load in around 2-3 seconds.

My total boot time on a cold boot is under 30 seconds to the KDE desktop.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Bro.Tiag

#107 Post by Bro.Tiag »

craigevil wrote:My total boot time on a cold boot is under 30 seconds to the KDE desktop.
That is impressive, IMO, since my best boot time is 22 Seconds on a netinstall, no login, Sid running e17 w/ a few odds & ends.

Cheers

andrek

#108 Post by andrek »

Hi,

Well after applying those patches, my debian sid doesn't boot faster. However, I saw recently that 'ReiserFS: checking transaction log' takes loong time ( about 30sec. ). What's wrong?
Anyway, I tried to remove gdm from my system.. it also wants to uninstall gnome-desktop-environment which means it will also delete many many gnome programs.. which kinda sucks ;)
Here's my fstab file

Code: Select all

/dev/hda8       /               reiserfs defaults        0       1
/dev/hda6       /boot           reiserfs notail          0       2
/dev/hda9       /home           reiserfs defaults,noatime,nodev,nosuid        0       2
/dev/hda7       none            swap    sw              0       0
I'm also thinking about reinstalling debian using something like minimal-install. What file systems would you recommend to get high speed?

synss

#109 Post by synss »

it also wants to uninstall gnome-desktop-environment
My understanding of Debian package management and its gnome related thing is that you can remove gnome-desktop-environment and you can keep the packages you want by saying they were installed manually, in aptitude, go to the >installed packages >gnome branch and use m (for manually installed --- will not be removed as a dependency of gnome-desktop-env) or M for automatically installed (and therefore automatically removed) packaged. You will see an A in the third field for auto-removable packages.

By the way, most (if not all) of the libs and libdevel should be auto-removable (and let them go if you change the flag and it says they are to be removed) as they probably were all installed as dependencies of other things.

Doing this will bring you to the same point as reinstalling from scratch and adding the packages you explicitly want, just done the other way round. Hence, you keep a working system.

andrek

#110 Post by andrek »

What file system would you recommend to get as much boot speed as possible? I'm going to install debian from a netinst cd.

DeanLinkous

#111 Post by DeanLinkous »

ext2

synss

#112 Post by synss »

1. do not reboot (this is linux, you know)
2. s2ram
3. ext2/3

andrek

#113 Post by andrek »

What do you mean by 'do not reboot'?
I'm actually dualbooting debian and windows xp ( my sister is using windows ) and sometimes I just have to reboot as I need to switch to windows..
Also, what's s2ram ? Could you explain in few words, please? :) As I have only 512Mb of RAM, I don't think to do any operations with it, but i'm just a newbie here
and thanks, according to your advice, I'll use ext2 as my fs. :roll:

And oh, according to these diagrams http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html , jfs is better than ext2. Is it really worth to apply ext2 as my filesystem and will it be faster? I don't really care about recovery procedures or other server sh.. things, since I'm a plain desktop user. I keep my important data on windows partitions / memory stick.

Sorry for many edits, but..
Is it worth to compile a kernel by myself? I mean, turning off many useless modules would increase speed?

THANKS synss
Last edited by andrek on 2007-07-13 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

synss

#114 Post by synss »

I mean there is generally no need to reboot a linux machine apart from using a new kernel. This is by far the fastest way to "boot", boot once every 2 years.
Also, what's s2ram
suspend to ram, but you'll need the ram for windows. But you can use suspend-to-disk, and suspend on your swap. This is possibly faster than a cold boot. suspend2 is supposed to be faster than swsusp. I do not know, I use s2ram (suspend to ram, the default one).
Is it really worth to apply ext2 as my filesystem and will it be faster?
No. Buy a faster hard drive.

You could also possibly try some usermode or colinux or cygwin, etc. and keep linux in Windows. Or convert your sister to linux. I just hate dual boot.

And this is going off topic, open a new thread.

regeya

#115 Post by regeya »

[quote="Lou"]
2. Once a week, i do:
# wajig orphans
# wajig purge-orphans
# wajig clean/quote]

I just ran 'wajig orphans' and one of the few things it came up with was this:

Code: Select all

libc6-i686
Thank you, but no. Anything that thinks an ESSENTIAL library is an orphan is dangerous.
But let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them.

Bulkley

#116 Post by Bulkley »

Essential for 686 machines. I bet that if you do a search you have another variation of libc6.

Telemachus

#117 Post by Telemachus »

Regeya wrote:Thank you, but no. Anything that thinks an ESSENTIAL library is an orphan is dangerous.
For what it's worth, that's not Wajig's fault. It's deborphan telling Wajig what the orphans are. I've had deboprhan telling me the same thing for some time now, and as Bulkley said, I do have more than one version of libc6 installed. I still haven't removed the 686 version, since I'm just not sure what of my software is linked against it. I use deborphan very very carefully, since it often has false positives in my experience (especially when it comes to multimedia libraries from mplayer or vlc or the like).

hellfire[bg]

#118 Post by hellfire[bg] »

After following the advices (well most of them) in this thread my results are: booting to gdm - 35s, from gdm to a GNOME session - 15s, totally - 50s. After my default netinstall (just a base system, no X, no DE) it was about 30s. My machine is Celeron M420 1.6Ghz 1Mb L2 Cache, 1GB ram, 540rpm hard drive (this is a notebook). After boot the system is very responsive, and feels quite fast. What do you think of it?
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

plugwash

#119 Post by plugwash »

afaict libc6-i686 is just an extra optimised version of libc6 that will be used if installed and an appropriate processor is present. I don't belive it is in any way essential.

Lou

#120 Post by Lou »

This tip is from anticapitalista in the AntiX forums:

"add these 2 lines to the end of your /etc/sysctl.conf file

vm.swappiness=1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

Save and restartX ie login again and see if apps open faster especially abiword, gnumeric, iceweasel etc.

If you get problems, you can simply remove the 2 lines."

Thanks anti.
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

esaym

#121 Post by esaym »

synss wrote:
I mean there is generally no need to reboot a linux machine apart from using a new kernel. This is by far the fastest way to "boot", boot once every 2 years.
Also, what's s2ram
suspend to ram, but you'll need the ram for windows. But you can use suspend-to-disk, and suspend on your swap. This is possibly faster than a cold boot. suspend2 is supposed to be faster than swsusp. I do not know, I use s2ram (suspend to ram, the default one).
Is it really worth to apply ext2 as my filesystem and will it be faster?
No. Buy a faster hard drive.

You could also possibly try some usermode or colinux or cygwin, etc. and keep linux in Windows. Or convert your sister to linux. I just hate dual boot.

And this is going off topic, open a new thread.
ext2 flies but if you ever have an unclean mount (killed power or lock up) alot of you desktop config files will be lost and or corrupted. Then it will take hours to get your desktop theme back to the way you like it

Lou

#122 Post by Lou »

esaym wrote: ext2 flies but if you ever have an unclean mount (killed power or lock up) alot of you desktop config files will be lost and or corrupted. Then it will take hours to get your desktop theme back to the way you like it
I agree.

ext2 should only be used for a /boot when partitioning IMO, provided you decide to create the /boot, otherwise not.

F.Zappa

#123 Post by F.Zappa »

Hi,
Well I did an apt-get install wajig and the first thing it did was start purging my system.Is wajig supposed to do that when all I did was install it? Now I no longer have kdm.I log in as root startx and end up at what looks like icewm (purple looking screen with unix curser)I know nothing about ice and do not care to know. What I want is KDE back,especially kdm since it's all I've ever used.Why did wajig do that? I just got lenny about how I wanted it and now this. Can anyone help?

Thank you Franky

Lou

#124 Post by Lou »

F.Zappa wrote:Hi,
Well I did an apt-get install wajig and the first thing it did was start purging my system.Is wajig supposed to do that when all I did was install it?
Wajig is another frontend for apt-get, nothing more, nothing less, just like aptitude or synaptic.
The question is what did YOU type for it to take action?

Now I no longer have kdm.I log in as root startx and end up at what looks like icewm (purple looking screen with unix curser)I know nothing about ice and do not care to know.

I think you're been tight with the truth, don't blame wajig or apt-get, what did you do? Why are you using Lenny if you're not experienced at this? Lenny is BETA!

I would purge kdm, kde and reinstall them back:

# dpkg -P kde kdm wajig
# apt-get clean
# apt-get install kde kdm
# reboot

and please stay away from turbulent waters if you can't swim.

llivv

#125 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-18 03:35, edited 1 time in total.