Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RAW photo thumbnails in Buster or newer

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
grege

RAW photo thumbnails in Buster or newer

#1 Post by grege »

Traditionally RAW photo thumbnail files were created by the package gnome-raw-thumbnailer. Unfortunately this package is history and did suffer a few limitations. It is not in the Buster repos.

There is a solution that I think is actually better but must be created manually. It works for Nautilus and Thunar and probably all the other file managers. It will also work on any Linux distro.

1 Install ufraw

Code: Select all

apt-get install ufraw
2 Create a file called ufraw.thumbnailer in /usr/share/thumbnailers

3 add the following to /usr/share/thumbnailers/ufraw.thumbnailer

[Thumbnailer Entry]
Exec=/usr/bin/ufraw-batch --embedded-image --out-type=png --size=%s %u --overwrite --silent --output=%o
MimeType=image/x-3fr;image/x-adobe-dng;image/x-arw;image/x-bay;image/x-canon-cr2;image/x-canon-crw;image/x-cap;image/x-cr2;image/x-crw;image/x-dcr;image/x-dcraw;image/x-dcs;image/x-dng;image/x-drf;image/x-eip;image/x-erf;image/x-fff;image/x-fuji-raf;image/x-iiq;image/x-k25;image/x-kdc;image/x-mef;image/x-minolta-mrw;image/x-mos;image/x-mrw;image/x-nef;image/x-nikon-nef;image/x-nrw;image/x-olympus-orf;image/x-orf;image/x-panasonic-raw;image/x-pef;image/x-pentax-pef;image/x-ptx;image/x-pxn;image/x-r3d;image/x-raf;image/x-raw;image/x-rw2;image/x-rwl;image/x-rwz;image/x-sigma-x3f;image/x-sony-arw;image/x-sony-sr2;image/x-sony-srf;image/x-sr2;image/x-srf;image/x-x3f;image/x-panasonic-raw2;
Then you should find RAW thumbnails created when you click into the folder. Plus the thumbnails are better now eg rotated photos show rotated thumbnails.

I used this to source the solution even though it is a very old post.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/283072/ ... -photo-raw

It would seem a fairly simple task to create a deb file called ufraw-raw-thumbnailer.deb that does this and pulls ufraw as a dependency.

Dai_trying

Re: RAW photo thumbnails in Buster or newer

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

Have you tried tumbler? I had to manually install it to an OS I was using some time back to get thumbnail images but haven't tested it in Buster yet and I also don't use gnome which might make a difference...

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I use a little script:

for file in *png; do
    new_file=`echo $file | sed 's/.png$//'`
    convert -resize 25% $file $new_file-tmb.png
done 
Very simple really, change"png" to JPG or whatever image format it is.
modify as needed.

grege

#4 Post by grege »

Dai_trying wrote:Have you tried tumbler? I had to manually install it to an OS I was using some time back to get thumbnail images but haven't tested it in Buster yet and I also don't use gnome which might make a difference...
Tumbler does not work for RAW photo files. Even with all the extra bits installed.

grege

#5 Post by grege »

GarryRicketson wrote:I use a little script:

for file in *png; do
    new_file=`echo $file | sed 's/.png$//'`
    convert -resize 25% $file $new_file-tmb.png
done 
Very simple really, change"png" to JPG or whatever image format it is.
modify as needed.
Thanks. Interesting approach but that would take a bit of massaging to work with RAW files. The above just automates it when you click into a folder with Nautilus or Thunar.

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ooops, I wasn't paying attention, and did not think about the "raw", and yes it would take quiet a bit of modifying (massaging)