Adding MX Linux tools to Debian

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

Re: Adding MX Linux tools to Debian

Postby sgosnell » 2020-09-12 02:03

If you read my posts above, I know how to list the packages in a repository. But there are thousands of packages. I was just looking for an easy way to find the unique MX packages, since most of them are identical to the Debian repository. I can easily list either, or both, packages, but that doesn't tell me what I want to know. That data may not exist, but I am interested in seeing it, because that would tell me whether or not it's worth adding it.
sgosnell

Postby sunrat » 2020-09-12 02:16

You could go look in their repository in a browser. Only way I can think of to find the packages without adding mx to your sources.
Once you add and update the MX repo, there are several ways to check what is available from there. It can be removed from sources without installing anything if no packages pique your interest.
You can just use Synaptic in the Origin tab.
Or search with
Code: Select all
apt search mx

Or grep the local packages list
grep -h "Package:" /var/lib/apt/lists/*mx*

Or list all available packages with "mx" in their title
apt list --all-versions *mx*

Simples! :wink: 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-09-12 02:28

^ Nice. :D had some funky, hacky junk running through mind, thanks for share @sunrat.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby sgosnell » 2020-09-12 02:29

Listing the MX packages lists almost the entire Debian repository. It's useless. I've done it. It's a very long list of packages, and for most the difference between the Debian and MX package is that the name has mx added if it's from MX. I'm not going to compare more than a thousand packages to find this out.
sgosnell

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-09-12 02:35

Again bottomline, if you cant figure something out regards doing just about anything gnu/nix, you simply need to google more. Have some rough ideas but not doing all the typing and testing to do something or show someone how to do something i really dont need- care about. This is a tute about adding Mx tools, not mx pkgs etc etc. Sorry @Head_on for participating in thread-jacking to this extent. Either way folks its not that big a deal, want Mx tools on Debian, Head_on has it covered. :)
Deb-fan

Postby stevepusser » 2020-09-12 04:54

Synaptic can sort packages based on origin--I am sure that apt or aptitude can do that on the command line, but am not going to search that for you.

MX uses the Debian repos, with its own repos on top like icing on the cake. We have our own native mx* packages, many backports of upstream Debian packages in main or testing, many many packages that aren't in Debian yet or that we improve for our version (Foliate, Strawberry, MystiQ, Pale Moon, and Cawbird are some that I maintain just off the top of my head), so I have to dispute that MX is "just Debian with makeup" and that the packages are "99.99% pure" Debian. :roll: Ow, my eyes are rolled so far back they got stuck.

Most of the native MX packages begin with mx-, so that's another way to sort them...I can remember a couple that don't, like aptgpg or apt-notifier, but those are just utilities. Oh wait, we have a metapackage to manage the mx-apps and remove obsolete versions, called "mx-apps":

Depends: bash-config, mx-bootrepair, mx-boot-options, mx-conky, mx-codecs, mx-datetime, mx-docs, mx-menu-editor, mx-network-assistant, mx-packageinstaller, mx-remaster, mx-remastercc, mx-repo-manager, mx-select-sound, mx-snapshot, mx-system-sounds, mx-tools, mx-tweak, mx-usb-unmounter, mx-user, mx-viewer, mx-welcome, mx-live-usb-maker, live-kernel-updater, live-usb-maker, mx-idevice-mounter, ddm-mx, conky-toggle-mx, formatusb, mx-cleanup
Breaks: docs-mx, install-meta-mx, installer-mx, remaster-mx, switchuser-mx, user-management-mx
Replaces: docs-mx, install-meta-mx, installer-mx, remaster-mx, switchuser-mx, user-management-mx

Some of those also have dependencies on other native MX packages.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby sgosnell » 2020-09-12 14:00

So, as I suspected, the information I was looking for does not exist. That's okay, I was just asking if it did. Lots of hand-wringing and pearl-clutching just to arrive at "No".
sgosnell

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-09-12 15:55

Of course the info you want exists, mayhaps not in a neat little index but certainly exists, put it together for yourself. Again .. only an outline of rough idea, while doing something like "apt update" to refresh pkg list, clearly apt is doing that, likely it's updating a list of available pkgs in whichever repos are in sources. Thus that's kept in a file somewhere and such a file can be found/copied, then more repo's could be added, the list-file could be update'd again, copied and these files can be compared with basic nix cmds and utilities. Showing the similarities(shared pkgs) + what's different in them ... Certainly ways to make such files from xyz-repo's quickly-easily for whomever wishes.

Noted: Should be all of a couple cmds/secs to get a list of what's in the Mx repo's any repo's. Are a bunch of relevant cmds/tools, apt-list or who knows how many others, it's gnu/Linux ... when isn't there TONS of ways to go about doing whatever tasks fairly easily, has to be many methods of doing this type of thing, I just don't have enough of an interest to work one of them out and acid test the dang thing, other brain farts, if someone were really motivated to know such a thing, install a base Debian in ie: KVM and same for MX and make a copy of the "dpkg -l" output, in such VM's "dpkg -l > debian" and "dpkg -l > mx" etc, compare these files as stated above, you have the pearl list you want. :D Don't remember the cmds, are several but remember doing this to see the differences in kernel .config files-options used between various so called "desktop performance" vs stock kernels. To see what the maintainers were opting to set.

Still also as noted we are crapping up a how-to Head_on took his time to put together and clearly this is not good netiquette. Start a damn thread on anything and all things MX if that's your desire. Fark ! Ah ... doubt anyone is losing sleep over this regardless. :P
Deb-fan

Postby stevepusser » 2020-09-14 03:57

If you are just curious to see what version of a package MX has versus Debian and many other distros, just try Repology. Here's Foliate, for example:

https://repology.org/project/foliate/versions
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Previous

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks