Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Buster & NVIDIA C61 (GeForce 6150SE)

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
dany-r5

Debian Buster & NVIDIA C61 (GeForce 6150SE)

#1 Post by dany-r5 »

Hello,

I struggled for a while to make my nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card work with Debian Buster (10.3.0), and I would like to share with you the solution I found.

Here a brief log of what I tried:
I installed Debian 10 with GNOME Desktop (using default nouveau driver) and I have a system freeze just after gdm login.
I tried to customize a xorg.conf file for nouveau without success.

Then I tried to install proprietary nvidia driver. Below nvidia-detect command (in non-free repositories) output:

Code: Select all

# nvidia-detect

Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] (rev a2)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)
Your card is only supported by the 304 legacy drivers series, which is only available up to stretch.
Unfortunately, nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver is no longer available in Debian buster non-free repositories and I didn't manage to install it from sid or stretch-backports due to dependency problems.
So I tried to install 304 driver from Nvidia.com (last version NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.137.run).
I spare you the details but I didn't found a way of installing it, I think this driver is not compatible with linux kernel 4.19.0 or xserver-xorg version.

Finally, the solution I found is to install LXDE desktop and select lightdm.

# apt install lxde
After reboot all works OK.
EDIT: :idea: It seems that installing firmware-misc-nonfree can also help. I couldn't try it yet.

Just I had a poor screen resolution in my ACER AL1916W screen.
To solve this I used cvt command, I created a simple /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and added a Modeline to it.
(note that you can test the screen mode given by cvt using xrandr command, but this will be lost at reboot)

# cvt 1440 900
# 1440x900 59.89 Hz (CVT 1.30MA) hsync: 55.93 kHz; pclk: 106.50 MHz
Modeline "1440x900_60.00"  106.50  1440 1528 1672 1904  900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
Here my working xorg.conf file.
EDIT: :!: Note I used Option "NoAccel" in order to solve system freeze when launching LibreOffice. This disables hardware acceleration, if you don't have this issue better don't use this Option.

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "ACER"
	ModelName    "AL1916W"
	Modeline     "1440x900_60.00"  106.50  1440 1528 1672 1904  900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
	Option       "PreferredMode" "1440x900_60.00"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Device0"
	Driver      "nouveau"
	BusID       "PCI:0:13:0"
	Option      "Monitor0"
	Option      "NoAccel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Device0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth    24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes   "1440x900" "1024x768" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout1"
    Screen "Screen0"
EndSection
I hope this can help someone else.

EDIT: Curiously GNOME desktop is also working now. This would mean that some LXDE dependency solves the problem with graphic card ??
Sorry, I think this post must be moved into HELP/Hardware section of the forum.
Last edited by dany-r5 on 2020-05-06 12:09, edited 5 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: HOWTO Debian Buster & NVIDIA C61 (GeForce 6150SE)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dany-r5 wrote:I installed Debian 10 with GNOME Desktop (using default nouveau driver) and I have a system freeze just after gdm login.
Did you try installing the firmware-misc-nonfree package? That includes firmware for several NVIDIA cards, nouveau won't work properly for those cards without it.
dany-r5 wrote:So I tried to install 304 driver from Nvidia.com
Why didn't you try the version from the Debian repositories? That does work with the 4.19 kernel & buster's X server and it doesn't need rebuilding manually after kernel updates.
dany-r5 wrote:After reboot all works OK. Just I had a poor screen resolution in my ACER AL1916W screen.
Probably because you don't have the firmware.
dany-r5 wrote:Note the NoAccel option, without this I had system freeze when launching LibreOffice.
You have disabled hardware acceleration, which isn't a good idea. Hardware acceleration probably doesn't work because you don't have the firmware.
deadbang

dany-r5

#3 Post by dany-r5 »

Following your comments I have made some test and I just found that GNOME is also working now. I don't understand why :?
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Did you try installing the firmware-misc-nonfree package? That includes firmware for several NVIDIA cards, nouveau won't work properly for those cards without it.
I didn't try this, I didn't know this package. I am not able to reproduce the system freeze now in order to test if this helps.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Why didn't you try the version from the Debian repositories? That does work with the 4.19 kernel & buster's X server and it doesn't need rebuilding manually after kernel updates.
Because nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver is no longer available in buster repositories, I forgot writing it in my post, I have just added it. I tried to install it from sid backports but it didn't work due to dependencies problem.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Probably because you don't have the firmware.
I don't have it indeed, I didn't manage to find it.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:You have disabled hardware acceleration, which isn't a good idea. Hardware acceleration probably doesn't work because you don't have the firmware.
Yes, this is probably not the best thing to do but I didn't find a better solution. I also added a warning in my post.
Last edited by dany-r5 on 2020-05-06 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dany-r5 wrote:Because nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver is no longer available in buster repositories
Oh yes, sorry, I missed that detail.

The reason why GNOME doesn't work is because it requires hardware acceleration, which I'm pretty sure would be available under nouveau as long as the non-free firmware was installed.
deadbang

dany-r5

#5 Post by dany-r5 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: The reason why GNOME doesn't work is because it requires hardware acceleration, which I'm pretty sure would be available under nouveau as long as the non-free firmware was installed.
Ok, I will also add this to my post.
Anyway, all is working fine for me without hardware acceleration, GNOME also. To turn it off was the only solution I found to solve system freeze when opening LibreOffice.