Realtime kernel build quickie + bootsplash (or not)

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

Postby b9anders » 2007-11-22 11:07

what are the advantages of having a RT kernel for the average user?
Linux user as of Jan 20007. Still getting the hang of it.
b9anders

Postby mzilikazi » 2007-11-22 13:38

b9anders wrote:what are the advantages of having a RT kernel for the average user?

Probably none really.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby mzilikazi » 2008-01-28 20:26

Updated for kernel verison 2.6.24-rt1. Unfortunately Debian unionfs-source & aufs-source still refuse to build against an rt kernel. :(

Fortunately bootsplash has yet again been updated to 2.6.24. Let's hope bootsplash does not die.
Debian Sid Laptops:
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

update

Postby bookie » 2008-01-29 06:56

Hi mzilikazi, just reading the How to tips and tricks you posted!!

You give a link to my thread about the disappearance of bootsplash "doesn't die"

Fortunately bootsplash has yet again been updated to 2.6.24. Let's hope bootsplash doesn't die

I have only just updated that this morning and was pleasantly surprised to hear of another source of the bootsplash

I am still trying to find the post about how the progress bar for Debian was solved?

Interesting thread :lol:

bookie
bookie

Re: update

Postby garrincha » 2008-01-29 13:56

bookie wrote:I am still trying to find the post about how the progress bar for Debian was solved?

I have read somewhere that you could install the sysv-rc-bootsplash package to solve the debian bootsplash progress bar. I haven't tried though to see if it actually work. Remember though that in my standard installation there is already a sysv-rc package, so not sure if it'll conflict with sysv-rc-bootsplash.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

update

Postby bookie » 2008-01-29 14:39

Hi garrincha, you are absolutely right about sysv-rc-bootsplash. All coming back to me now.

I have however tried the new 2.6.24 kernel with the latest patch that mzilikazi was talking about bootsplash-5.1.6-2.6.24.diff and I haven't had any success yet :(

This was part of the read out when I ran #update-initramfs -uv

/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/functions: line 118: array_bootsplash~=: kommando hittades inte
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/functions: line 81: ${array_bootsplash~}: bad substitution
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/functions: line 110: array_bootsplash~=: kommando hittades inte

My splash link is in place and I have checked that - but I am wondering if the above is a sign of this bootsplash not being up to the mark?

Anyone any ideas, or is it really bye bye to bootsplash? :cry:

bookie
bookie

Re: Realtime kernel build quickie + bootsplash

Postby Hadret » 2008-02-16 23:29

mzilikazi wrote:Nvidia graphics driver:
You might want to disable Paravirtualization in make menuconfig. The Nvidia driver does not build against kernels with this enabled.

Can you please specify where is it? I'm compiling kernel without issues, the m-a a-i is going without problems, but nvidia driver doesn't work, so I believe that paravirt is making problems (:
Hadret

Postby mzilikazi » 2008-02-17 21:53

Hadret wrote:
mzilikazi wrote:Nvidia graphics driver:
You might want to disable Paravirtualization in make menuconfig. The Nvidia driver does not build against kernels with this enabled.

Can you please specify where is it? I'm compiling kernel without issues, the m-a a-i is going without problems, but nvidia driver doesn't work, so I believe that paravirt is making problems (:

Interestingly enough I no longer see that configuration option in make menuconfig or even by editing .config manually. What nvidia problems are there?
Debian Sid Laptops:
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby Hadret » 2008-02-18 08:58

mzilikazi wrote:Interestingly enough I no longer see that configuration option in make menuconfig or even by editing .config manually. What nvidia problems are there?

Yeah, there's no PARAVIRT option in kernel 2.6.24. I compile kernel without problems, than (after restart) I make m-a a-i, also without any problems and after another restart, X server doesn't start - I've got only black screen and I can't change to any CLI :(
Hadret

Postby mzilikazi » 2008-02-18 13:18

Does Xwindows work if you use nv driver instead of nvidia?
It may be possible to get your nvidia drivers mixed up if you do multiple builds. Be sure you have the nvidia driver that was built against your kernel.
Debian Sid Laptops:
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby Hadret » 2008-02-21 12:53

I'll try to compile "clean" kernel, without rt patch and see if that makes any different :)
Hadret

Postby alidh » 2008-02-24 21:55

Hi,

Is it possible to do this with another kernel?
(I want to have is good but stable...., using testing).

What are the commands if you don't want a bootsplash?
alidh

Postby mzilikazi » 2008-02-24 22:13

alidh wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to do this with another kernel?
(I want to have is good but stable...., using testing).

Sure, you just need the appropriate realtime patch to match the kernel version you wish to build.

What are the commands if you don't want a bootsplash?

Just skip the bootsplash patch of course! ;)
Debian Sid Laptops:
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Postby alidh » 2008-02-25 09:45

What should I have installed to be able to run unp?
Code: Select all
~/kernel$ unp linux-2.6.24.tar.bz2
bash: unp: command not found

make menuconfig give a whole lot of errors:
/home/dirk/kernel/linux-2.6.23.11-rt14# make menuconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.o
In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: Bestand of map bestaat niet
In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:97: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘chtype’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:187: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:194: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:196: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:197: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:198: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:199: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:201: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:31: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:59: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:95: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c: In function ‘dialog_checklist’:
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: ‘WINDOW’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: for each function it appears in.)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: ‘dialog’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: error: ‘list’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:116: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no effect
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:129: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘getmaxy’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:129: error: ‘stdscr’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:130: error: ‘KEY_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:131: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘getmaxx’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:137: error: ‘COLS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:138: error: ‘LINES’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:140: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘draw_shadow’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:142: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘newwin’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:143: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘keypad’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:143: error: ‘TRUE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:145: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘draw_box’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:146: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:146: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:147: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wattrset’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:147: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:148: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘mvwaddch’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:150: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘waddch’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:151: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:154: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_title’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:156: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:157: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_autowrap’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:164: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘subwin’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:171: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:171: error: ‘struct dialog_color’ has no member named ‘atr’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:189: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_item’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:192: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_arrows’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:195: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘print_buttons’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:197: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wnoutrefresh’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:199: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘doupdate’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:202: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wgetch’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:210: error: ‘KEY_UP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:210: error: ‘KEY_DOWN’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:220: error: ‘FALSE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:221: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘scrollok’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:222: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wscrl’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:232: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘wrefresh’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:293: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘delwin’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:297: error: ‘KEY_LEFT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:298: error: ‘KEY_RIGHT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:310: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘on_key_esc’
scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:312: error: ‘KEY_RESIZE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.o] Fout 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Fout 2
studio32:/home/dirk/kernel/linux-2.6.23.11-rt14#                         

and:
/home/dirk/kernel/linux-2.6.23.11-rt14# Processor type and features> Preemption Mode (Complete Preemption (Real-Time))
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
alidh

Postby mzilikazi » 2008-02-25 12:44

apt-get install unp libncurses5-dev
Debian Sid Laptops:
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

PreviousNext

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks