Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HowTo: Firefox, the "real" thing.

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
TristanDee

Re: HowTo: Firefox, the "real" thing.

#16 Post by TristanDee »

I haven't understood one thing--Can the longtime members of this forum please clarify that? Is wanting to use Firefox, not Iceweasel, in Debian something like blasphemy? Because many seem to have this strict policy not to use the real Firefox, even strong disapproval of the browser. If it were so, my next question is: Why was this thread allowed here in the first place? If you don't like Firefox, it should not be much hard just to ignore this thread!

Now, that said, I have got Firefox running on my Debian Testing machine, but did receive some errors. At the first run, I got two errors:
In terminal

Code: Select all

oracle:/opt# ff3

(firefox-bin:2647): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

(firefox-bin:2647): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.

...and a Firefox error message

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

Finally, ran Firefox again as normal user and received this error

rubel@oracle:~$ ff3

(firefox-bin:2707): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

rubel@oracle:~$ ff3

(firefox-bin:2728): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

(firefox-bin:2728): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

(firefox-bin:2728): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Could not create per-user Gnome application-registry directory: /home/rubel/.gnome/application-info

(firefox-bin:2728): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.

(firefox-bin:2728): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Deprecated function.  User modifications to the MIME database are no longer supported.

(firefox-bin:2728): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot open '/home/rubel/.gnome/application-info/user.applications' for writing

(firefox-bin:2728): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

craigevil

#17 Post by craigevil »

Iceweasel is still my systems default browser but I use Firefox 99% of the time.

This is all I do to use Firefox.
download Firefox
extract to my /home
ln -s /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins /home/craig/Downloads/firefox/plugins
opened iceweasel with iceweasel -profilemanager and created a profile for Firefox
copied my iceweasel profile to the new firefox profile

my Firefox.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name[en_US]=Firefox
Exec=/home/craig/Downloads/firefox/firefox %u
Icon=/home/craig/Downloads/firefox/icons/mozicon50.xpm
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;

copied the Firefox.desktop to /usr/share/applications so it would appear in my LXDE menu and so I could put it on my lxde Applicatrions bar.

Firefox doesn't tend to crash on Flash or Java sites and it uses way less ram/cpu than Iceweasel. Several people in #smxi have tested this on multiple systems, on stable, testing, and sid.
It also seems to load pages faster than iceweasel.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

TristanDee

#18 Post by TristanDee »

craigevil wrote:my Firefox.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Name[en_US]=Firefox
Exec=/home/craig/Downloads/firefox/firefox %u
Icon=/home/craig/Downloads/firefox/icons/mozicon50.xpm
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;

copied the Firefox.desktop to /usr/share/applications so it would appear in my LXDE menu and so I could put it on my lxde Applicatrions bar.
Hello Craig, Firefox.desktop is a file, right? I just create the file (or is it already created?), open it in gedit and insert the codes and save? What also I didn't understand: where to create the file?

And there's this BIG question: What to do with the Firefox already present in my system?

Thanks for the easier how-to. And, sorry, I probably asked too many questions.
...Our lives are mostly a constant evasion of ourselves. --TS Eliot
Linux User #501018

craigevil

#19 Post by craigevil »

A more permanent method:
"firefox" is :: give up? I did, dump Iceweasel and set your system up with Firefox. Directions for doing a permanent changeover:
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

Absent Minded

#20 Post by Absent Minded »

Why is this thread allowed here, you ask? Everyone is freely allowed to make the best choice for them.

Myself, tried Firefox propper as several made claims it was so much better. Truthfully, I didn't notice a thing differnt than how Iceweasle performed, read pages, used RAM, etc. My conclusion.. might as well just use Iceweasle. Works just fine for me. I can change the info the browser sends to sites if I choose with not much effort. I however am not feeling the need for the "Bleeding Edge". Advantages for me is that it works the same and updates the way it is suppose to. No hassle, no muck. It is a bit sad that FF needed rebranded just to be able to have regular security updates in Debian stable but I guess that's the breaks.

Just my 2 bits.
AM
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

nadir

#21 Post by nadir »

Absent Minded wrote:Why is this thread allowed here, you ask? Everyone is freely allowed to make the best choice for them.

Myself, tried Firefox propper as several made claims it was so much better. Truthfully, I didn't notice a thing differnt than how Iceweasle performed, read pages, used RAM, etc. My conclusion.. might as well just use Iceweasle. Works just fine for me. I can change the info the browser sends to sites if I choose with not much effort. I however am not feeling the need for the "Bleeding Edge". Advantages for me is that it works the same and updates the way it is suppose to. No hassle, no muck. It is a bit sad that FF needed rebranded just to be able to have regular security updates in Debian stable but I guess that's the breaks.

Just my 2 bits.
AM
Yeah, same here. I am not much in the mood to take care of it, so i use iceweasel and am done with the problem.
And, also same here, iceweasel works just fine. I only like two other browser (from the point of comfort): epiphany-browser and konqueror.
And the bleeding edge: Usually someone posts "Hear folks, the new version of Firefox is out". Short after that i am able to upgrade iceweasel from experimental (but i really got confused by all those version numbers, so it might well be that i am not really living at the edge). Someone is usually craigevil himself :mrgreen:
That would make 4 cents...in times of the crisis that might -or might not- save our butts.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

julian67

#22 Post by julian67 »

I just added Firefox to my desktop. Reasons: curiosity and more curiosity. I've read so many posts where people say how it's different to/better than Iceweasel and I've seen lots of threads/posts/howtos which make it seem like a difficult task to accomplish.

Anyway it took me about three minutes, it all works (so does Iceweasel), and here is what I did:

I visited mozilla and clicked the download link. This put firefox-3.6.6.tar.bz2 in my ~/

I unpacked it. Now I have a directory firefox.

I ran

$ cat /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop >.local/share/applications/firefox.desktop
which creates a menu launcher. I edited it so now it looks like

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
GenericName=Web Browser
X-GNOME-FullName=Firefox Web Browser
Exec=~/firefox/firefox %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=~/firefox/chrome/icons/default/default32.png
StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin
StartupNotify=true
The above file works on any system where the firefox folder is in ~/

It automatically uses my existing profile with all plug-ins and extensions. That's it, all done. There's a menu entry, everything works.

Optional: I used galternatives to add ~/firefox/firefox to the Debian OS's might brain and set Firefox as my default browser.

So which is better, Iceweasel or Firefox? FFS be patient! I only just installed the damn thing. Assuming version numbers are the same I doubt there's any difference. But my Iceweasel version is 3.6.4-1 while Firefox is at 3.6.6 so I can't make a valid comparison anyway :?

Curiosity killed the cat.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Lou

#23 Post by Lou »

TristanDee: you can do whatever your heart desires, it's a matter of choice as you can see by the different posts.

Me? I get a headache from just following the instructions in order to install FF.
Iceweasel 3.5.6 from the Backports repo in Lenny does the job. Using the latest apps, Sid, or Experimental, has failed to make a geek outta me or make me smarter, Lenny speaks my language. My 2 cents :)

craigevil

#24 Post by craigevil »

Shiny new Iceweasel
$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 4.0~b1-0
Candidate: 4.0~b1-0
Version table:
*** 4.0~b1-0 0
500 http://mozilla.debian.net ./ Packages

Along with Firefox 3.6.7 nightly, Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.7) Gecko/20100713 Firefox/3.6.7

Firefox 4 is going to rock. or at least it will once the extension devs play catch up.
My Giant Sources.list

Rolling Stone

#25 Post by Rolling Stone »

Rewrite of this tutorial

1. Right click the Iceweasel shortcut on your desktop
2. Select 'Rename' from the list
3. Type in Firefox

Here's a sub-tutorial

HowTo Right click
1. Carefully follow this diagram:

MeanDean

#26 Post by MeanDean »

great howto....worked great....now I have the real firefox!