Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How I do a default etch installation (gnome)

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
MeanDean

How I do a default etch installation (gnome)

#1 Post by MeanDean »

This is a no-frills, no screenshots, quick walkthru of how I install a default debian etch w/gnome. This is provided as a walk-thru example of how to get thru the install. I have provided my answers to the questions asked during installation as a example only, feel free to substitute your own or use mine if you are unsure.

* I partition my drive first using a liveCD or similar so I already have my partitions created and ready for installation. The debian installer can be used to partition during the installation if you wish. I use the jfs file system for my partitions while you may wish to choose a different type of file system like ext2 or ext3 which are more common. I just wanted to explain that I already have my partitions created and which file system I use so the partitioning step would make sense.

Okay, lets begin...

Download CD-1 from here http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/iso-cd/ and burn it to a cd. Boot from the disk.

debian screen, hit enter

select language, hit enter
select country, hit enter
select keymap, hit enter

network is autoconfigured using DHCP
for hostname type mycomputer, hit enter
leave domain blank, hit enter

Partitioning (assuming partitioning has already been done)
select manual, hit enter
select the partition, hit enter
select use as, hit enter
select JFS, hit enter
select format, hit enter
select mount point, hit enter, select /-the root filesystem, hit enter
select mount options, hit enter, select (with spacebar) the noatime option, tab to continue, hit enter
select Done setting up the partition, hit enter
select Finished partitioning and write changes to disk, hit enter
select yes, hit enter

select time zone, hit enter
select no, hit enter

for root password type toor, hit enter
again type toor, hit enter
for name type user, hit enter
user should be filled, hit enter
for password type resu, hit enter
again type resu, hit enter

network mirror
select yes, hit enter
select country, hit enter
select archive mirror, hit enter
leave proxy info blank, hit enter

package user survey
select no, hit enter

select Desktop Environment
unselect anything else that is selected
tab to continue, hit enter

Grub
select yes, hit enter

remove disk, hit enter

enjoy debian
Last edited by MeanDean on 2007-09-08 09:37, edited 8 times in total.

hkoster1

Re: How I do a default etch installation (gnome)

#2 Post by hkoster1 »

Mmm... you're just describing the regular D-I install process, answering the questions/choices presented, no special boot: parameters as far as I can see. So where's the special trick or tip that you want Debian users to consider?

I do have some misgivings about your partitioning scheme and choice of filesystem, though. I would much prefer to use 3 small primary /boot partitions (for as many possible OS versions), and then have any further root and other partitions (like /home) as logical partitions.

JFS is a fine filesystem, no doubt about it, but not practical in a multiple partition setup (like yours) if there is ANY chance that you might want to resize at a later stage. This is because only Ext2 and Ext3 can be resized with the parted family of programmes. So, my choice would be: Ext2 for the /boot partitions, Ext3 for the remaining partitions except swap.

MeanDean

#3 Post by MeanDean »

The tip is simply knowing what to select/choose to get thru a default installation and end up with a nice default system. Simply a walkthru example to follow.

I certainly did not recommend or even suggest my partition scheme to anyone, only used it to make sense of my choices in the partitioning step.

I should of mentioned that those percentages apply because I am using smallish 40gig drives in most of my machines. I will edit that part.

Personally I plan ahead (some call me OCD). I know my installs are rarely larger than 1.5gigs and never more than 3.5gigs so I usually make the install partitions about 6gigs. That is more than plenty since all my *stuff* stays on my data partition.

Personally, I play it fairly safe. No resizing partitions, no re-writing the mbr unless absolutely necessary, no mounting of my data partition unless and until needed. No half-baked installer trying to mess with my /home partition or having a meltdown and it affecting my /home partition.

I think there are a few specfic tips in there too....but mostly just the *tip* of a walkthru example to help someone along.

Thanks for the feedback

MeanDean

#4 Post by MeanDean »

So where's the special trick or tip that you want Debian users to consider?
None. This is for potential debian users.
I would much prefer to use 3 small primary /boot partitions (for as many possible OS versions), and then have any further root and other partitions (like /home) as logical partitions.
With my (no longer included) partition scheme I can later decide to wipe out all my parititions except my data partition of course. I can recreate as many logical partitions as I need or only one and yet I will still know that my data partition is hda1 and the designation hasn't changed due to removing and recreating logical partitions. If I was installing debian on a system along with windows then I would make windows the first primary and data partition the second primary and once again begin my linux partitions as logical for the same reason.

JFS is a fine filesystem, no doubt about it, but not practical in a multiple partition setup (like yours) if there is ANY chance that you might want to resize at a later stage.
My file system and partition scheme is very practical for me and likely others too. It is impractical if you want to reszize but why would you need to In fact you have just encouraged me to do a partition scheme thread. Thanks again.

hkoster1

#5 Post by hkoster1 »

MeanDean wrote:My file system and partition scheme is very practical for me and likely others too. It is impractical if you want to reszize but why would you need to In fact you have just encouraged me to do a partition scheme thread. Thanks again.
You must have missed this thread http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=18748 :wink:

MeanDean

#6 Post by MeanDean »

hkoster1 wrote: You must have missed this thread http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=18748 :wink:
Thanks for that. It highlights exactly why my method is perfect. You cant run out of room because the vast majority is used for a data partition and everything is stored there. My method would be perfect for him since he says " I do have a lot of music, video, and digital pictures, so having their own partition may have some advantage in back up later on." that would be the data partition and then a 6gig / partition should be plenty for the installation itself.

My method is much like having a seperate home partition but it simply is not mounted as home. You could easily mount it as home if you wished. But lets say I decide to change the format of the partition, now I have all three of my installs with fstab entries that are incorrect and are trying to mount it at boot. What if I decide to split the data partition, half it, one for the data and one half for backing it up. With my method none of that would matter. What would happen (using your method) if my /home and/or data partition is sitting between three operating system? What happens at boot time as well? I have had my drive partitioned this way for good while and find it to be a great solution. I use to use a multi partition setup, I tried keeping /home seperate, I tried larger install partitions and I usually ended up just like that guy in that thread - too much space where I dont need it and not enough space where I do need it. I no longer have that issue.

But hold your discussion if you would. I am going to create a partitioning/fs thread and this would be excellent to discuss in that thread.