Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO Requests

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
craigevil

#31 Post by craigevil »

How To Set Up A Ubuntu/Debian LAMP Server | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_debian_lamp_server

Chrooted SSH/SFTP Tutorial (Debian Etch) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
http://www.howtoforge.com/chroot_ssh_sftp_debian_etch

Granted this one is for ubuntu, but the basics and packages should be pretty much the same:
OpenLDAP + Samba Domain Controller On Ubuntu 7.10 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
http://www.howtoforge.com/openldap-samb ... ubuntu7.10

"Get Thunderbird to Export URLS to Firefox"
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get ... to_Firefox

Did I miss anyone? Google is your friend. :)
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

kamaliitm

How To

#32 Post by kamaliitm »

Hey frenz.....Am new to linux...........

Can anyone please tell me HOW TO "create a document in linux" ......Am using debian......

Thanks in advance.....

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: How To

#33 Post by oswaldkelso »

kamaliitm wrote:Hey frenz.....Am new to linux...........

Can anyone please tell me HOW TO "create a document in linux" ......Am using debian......

Thanks in advance.....
g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ ## An easy way to create a new blank file in your current directory is with the touch command.

g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ touch name_of_blank_file
g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ ls
name_of_blank_file

g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ ## Or with an editor like nano

g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ nano doc1
g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ ## nano will open with a blank file called doc1 write your stuff and save file. control o and return to save. control x to exit. then y or n to save or not if you have not already saved the file.
g5@debian1333:~/lessons$## to read any manuals type man then the name of the programme.
g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ man nano

g5@debian1333:~/lessons$ ls
doc1 name_of_blank_file

http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

kamaliitm

@oswaldkelso

#34 Post by kamaliitm »

Thank you

kamaliitm

@oswaldkelso

#35 Post by kamaliitm »

Thank you :)

KOTAPAKA

#36 Post by KOTAPAKA »

Here is an issue that sounds simple but is in fact quite complicated. If you have a HDD with say 6-7 NTFS partitions and you connect it to Debian it is mounted automatically and most likely the partitions will be mounted to /media/disk-# where # is a number (1,2,3,4...). Now every time you connect your HDD to your computer it mounts under different mount points. For example you have 3 partitions 30,60 and 90 GB ones. 1st mount they are in the order disk-1 disk-2 disk-3 respectively. Next time they are in another order i.e. the 30 Gb is now mounted to disk-2 the 60 Gb to disk-3 and the 90 to disk-1. It is a bit irritating but when you have a program that relies on constant pathnames it becomes a problem. The only solution I've found is to connect the HDD to a Windows computer and name the partitions. Placing a line in fstab doesn't work because only the root can mount and the ntfs-3g driver doesn't accept the users or user options in fstab. I think a howto will be very useful not only for me.

PS I have solved it for myself - used a Windows computer. I've seen a lot of people on the net have stumbled upon this issue and I haven't found a descent solution so far.
Debian Lenny "stable"

TRS-80

#37 Post by TRS-80 »

Anyone got a good howto on setting up an SSL CA? Preferably one that goes into the theory behind SSL a bit. I need it for my LDAP for the Lazy Sysadmin howto and don't really want to write it myself.

Redbaron

#38 Post by Redbaron »

I'm looking for a good howto for installing Debian Lenny testing and additional info on custom and stock kernels and how to install each

Thanks
Redbaron

daengbo

#39 Post by daengbo »

KOTAPAKA wrote:The only solution I've found is to connect the HDD to a Windows computer and name the partitions. Placing a line in fstab doesn't work because only the root can mount and the ntfs-3g driver doesn't accept the users or user options in fstab. I think a howto will be very useful not only for me.
No need for a Howto. Just use labels instead of device names in /etc/fstab

TRS-80

#40 Post by TRS-80 »

TRS-80 wrote:Anyone got a good howto on setting up an SSL CA? Preferably one that goes into the theory behind SSL a bit. I need it for my LDAP for the Lazy Sysadmin howto and don't really want to write it myself.
Turns out openvpn has one http://openvpn.net/index.php/documentat ... o.html#pki

boz

Firewire stack

#41 Post by boz »

From reading bug reports and such this may be unpossible, but any information anyone can provide on getting firewire working under Lenny would be awesome.

Noodles

#42 Post by Noodles »

Hi,

I'm Noodles. I just started using Debian. but I'm a little bit lost. I want to use Debian for a source dedicated server. but I can't get it set up. If anybody here has a Source dedicated server. Can he or she write a howto?

Greetings from Noodles

oompa

#43 Post by oompa »

I'm posting a request for a how to optimize debian for laptop usage.

Seems this request has already been posted here in Laptop fine tuning but has had no answer yet.
Also most of the guides I have found are incomplete and infos are scattered around and sometimes obsolete or even contraddicting one another.

The rationale behind is that the debian ability to run on almost any system is great but not fitted for laptop specific usage such as optimizing battery time (famd, absence of noatime, ...) and having up-to-date info all in one place would save a lot of time.

Lou

#44 Post by Lou »

A superficial search at google.com/linux gave me this:

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&q=deb ... tnG=Search
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

oompa

#45 Post by oompa »

Noven wrote:A detailed LAMP howto would be awesome. Im looking to somehow replace my webhosting that I pay for and somehow run a LAMP and have it point to the domain name I pay for.
This is a starting point: Linux Internet Web Server and Domain Configuration Tutorial. Please note that it is not debian specific.

Hadret

#46 Post by Hadret »

Would love to see howto about installation of Debian (Testing? Unstable?) with kernel 2.6.28 (vanilla? It's not packed yet, I guess) on ext4 partition ;]

JustDebian

#47 Post by JustDebian »

I've been looking for a HOW-TO that explains how to be able to write files to a FAT32 (Win98) directory that is mounted via fstab during start up.

The directory, all subdirectories, and all files are owned by root and the root group, even tough the mount directory was created by me as a user. Whenever I try to save a file in the Win98 directory, permission is denied, even though I own the file.

The fstab shows this:

/dev/hde6 /home/user/windata vfat defaults 0 0

The ls -l command shows this:

drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 1970-01-01 00:00 windata

I've tried things like: chmod and chown and other things I cannot now remember to set the ownership, group, and permissions so that I can save files and manage files in the FAT32 directory. How can I do that?

infinitycircuit

#48 Post by infinitycircuit »

Hadret wrote:Would love to see howto about installation of Debian (Testing? Unstable?) with kernel 2.6.28 (vanilla? It's not packed yet, I guess) on ext4 partition ;]
I am working on this myself.

The quick answer is to download an Ubuntu Jaunty daily build, use it to manipulate the partitions, and then install a self-compiled 2.6.28.

jalu

cli-ltools for audio and burning(images and iso`s)

#49 Post by jalu »

A How-to on command-line-tools to deal with audio and burning CD`s/DVD`s
would a big wish of mine.
Its really hard to find info on that
e.g.:at debian.org
wodim, cdrecord, cdtools... doesn`t give usefull results at all.

On this forum i just found this how-to added by dawgie.
Its pretty well but its only about burning and making images
(its not about how to make use of a cli-cd-player and other questions)
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... t=cdrecord.
edit:
here is a brand new one (03/o9) by julian67:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=36826

At least you ain`t got that lots of choice on the gui, have you?

Well: the year has just started, so i keep the head up and the hope alive
being over the hump when it ends.:-)

greetings and thanks
jalu
Last edited by jalu on 2009-03-10 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

Hadret

#50 Post by Hadret »

infinitycircuit wrote:The quick answer is to download an Ubuntu Jaunty daily build, use it to manipulate the partitions, and then install a self-compiled 2.6.28.
So, it looks like this:

1) I need already compiled and working kernel 2.6.28 with ext4 enabled.
2) Then I launch Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 3 LiveCD (could it be alternate CD and It has to be amd64 if I'm using Debian 64-bit, right?) and convert the / partition from ext3 to ext4:
AdrianTM wrote:tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/yourfilesystem
fsck -pf /dev/yourfilesystem
3) I also need to change /etc/fstab (ext3 to ext4) and grub.cfg to boot from ext4 partition, right? (: