HOWTO Requests

Share your own howto's etc. Not for support questions!

HOWTO Requests

Postby Lavene » 2007-09-11 06:24

This thread is for requesting howtos. Post your requests stating clearly what you are looking for and what problem you want to solve. This thread is not for ordinary support questions.

When you have written a HOWTO in response to a request, post a reply in this thread quoting the request and link to your HOWTO.

Please please avoid flaming newbie requests and RTFM replies. If you don't want to write a HOWTO in response to a request, simply ignore the request. Let's keep this thread as clear and useful as possible.

Tina
Lavene
Site admin

Postby GoodVibrations » 2007-09-11 12:19

I would like a how-to, describing how you set up IceWeasel & IceDove, so that:

1. Clicking on a mailto in IceWeasel fires up IceDove.
2. Clicking on an url in IceDove fires up IceWeasel.

I've tried the different tips I've found and just can't get it to work. Nothing happens when I click on either.

So a real "cookie-cutter" description would be nice. :D
GoodVibrations

Postby JohnDeere630 » 2007-09-11 22:18

I would very much appreciate a how-to on setting up a custom init script. For example, on my MythTV box, I must enter the following 3 commands (as root) on every boot-up:
Code: Select all
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
modprobe lirc_serial
lircd -d /dev/lirc0

These must be run in order, or it either fouls up the boot process, or the lirc daemon is not properly bound to the lirc0 socket. I have tried about a hundred different things, all with either disastrous or negligible results :oops:
(Update! By reconfiguring the autoserial.conf file, I can now eliminate the first command, however, for the second modprobe command, I thought I could simply add lirc_serial to the /etc/modules file, but no luck :cry:)
Please don't mention google or RTFM or I may scream :shock:! I have read everything I can find, and while there is a lot of info in the init manual, it is just not too helpful. I have been able to get about every other aspect of Debian and MythTv to work flawlessly, so I don't think this is beyond me, but I would truly and sincerely appreciate any help or pointers here!
JohnDeere630

Postby Noven » 2007-09-12 11:35

A detailed LAMP howto would be awesome. Im looking to somehow replace my webhosting that I pay for and somehow run a LAMP and have it point to the domain name I pay for.
Noven

Postby lacek » 2007-09-13 08:54

I would very much appreciate a how-to on setting up a custom init script.

I wrote a small howto, I hope it will help you. It's here.[/quote]
lacek
Moderator Team Member

Postby matino » 2007-09-23 14:03

I would like to request a how-to that describes which options enable/disable when compiling a custom kernel.
Not in very details of course, just some basics, like - "this option - don't touch, in this section you can uncheck this and this etc"
matino

Postby Depressure » 2007-09-28 16:06

A nice and clean backup howto would be nice... (noob proof in other words)

Backup user files, system and ofc restoring them. to cd's/dvd's and exsternal hdd('s)
-Fire it up baby-
Depressure

Postby garrincha » 2007-09-28 19:27

matino wrote:I would like to request a how-to that describes which options enable/disable when compiling a custom kernel.
Not in very details of course, just some basics, like - "this option - don't touch, in this section you can uncheck this and this etc"

Not quite what you want but close enough:
viewtopic.php?t=11396&highlight=nutshell

Check Chapter 7 & 11 - Customising Kernel & Kernel Configuration Option Reference respectively.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."
garrincha

Postby actionM » 2007-09-29 14:58

I don't know if this would be HOWTO worthy or not. It may just be to short of an answer or too long, but maybe a "troubleshooting howto".

-How to find out whats actually causing your problem
-where to look for known bugs

Something along those lines. I'm just curious about the steps everyone takes when something isn't working as normal.
actionM

Postby Lavene » 2007-09-30 05:17

Noven wrote:
actionM wrote:I don't know if this would be HOWTO worthy or not. It may just be to short of an answer or too long, but maybe a "troubleshooting howto".

-How to find out whats actually causing your problem
-where to look for known bugs

Something along those lines. I'm just curious about the steps everyone takes when something isn't working as normal.

www.google.com :D :D :D :D :D

It had to happen I guess... reminder:
"Please please avoid flaming newbie requests and RTFM replies. If you don't want to write a HOWTO in response to a request, simply ignore the request. Let's keep this thread as clear and useful as possible."
Lavene
Site admin

Postby canci » 2007-10-08 14:49

An "OpenOffice Normalization Guide" explaining how to adjust the menu
fonts to look like the other GTK/KDE aps and how to speed it up.
I ken hez kinvulf beck? I ken hez riesnible modereyshn? Kthnxbai!

No need to discuss this topic? Offended by this signature? Remove it:

Mez wrote:You can easily just disable viewing signatures

Click here - and set "Display Signatures" to No
canci

Postby tolostoi » 2007-10-16 10:56

I would like a how-to, describing how to set up a trafic shaper for a router machine with Debian Etch.
tolostoi

Postby actionM » 2007-10-23 18:57

Noven wrote:A detailed LAMP howto would be awesome. Im looking to somehow replace my webhosting that I pay for and somehow run a LAMP and have it point to the domain name I pay for.

I second that.
actionM

Postby sinical » 2007-10-24 07:28

actionM wrote:
Noven wrote:A detailed LAMP howto would be awesome. Im looking to somehow replace my webhosting that I pay for and somehow run a LAMP and have it point to the domain name I pay for.

I second that.

You want it for Perl or PHP? Need DNS as well?
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn
sinical

Postby Noven » 2007-10-24 07:42

sinical wrote:
actionM wrote:

I second that.

You want it for Perl or PHP? Need DNS as well?

PHP.
Noven

Next

Return to Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks