Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Rox and USB devices

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Hector

Rox and USB devices

#1 Post by Hector »

Hi folks!

I'm a newbie to Linux but have managed to survive quite well with some help from outside. FYI I use Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 on a Pentium IV, 2.8 MHz and 1GB of RAM.

One of the first things I tested was Fluxbox. In my previous life with WXP <gasp> I had already switched my shell to BBClean (on of the many *boxes out there). So the choice was easy and painless.

Then I found Rox-Filer. Great!!! It has become my favorite tool since. I'm still mastering it's many superb qualities and have a couple of questions. Maybe somebody out there is kind enough to give a hand.

Please be aware I have carefully read all manuals, web pages and the five pages on this forum. I'm not that lazy!

1.- I was unable to have Rox to recognize my USB flash memory (pen-drive) or my digital camera. I was able to drag the icons from /media to the panel for a CDrom and a Floppy and they work like a charm! Why isn't there something similar for USB ports? I did try to follow the instructions on "HAL and Rox" in Sourceforge but got hopelessly lost.

2.- This is a minor issue, but upon startup Numlock is always off. Per Lou's suggestion I included "numlockx &" (without the quotes) in .xsession, but it doesn't work. I inserted this right after "$wm" & and before xmessage -file - << END. I wonder if this is the correct place?

Any help with these two issues will be much appreciated. If I get these solved I can bid farewell to Gnome, KDE and others.

Thanks to you all for reading this!

Cheers!

Hector

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

While Ubuntu might be based on Debian it is not Debian. I personally do not care but keep in mind that some things are going to differ and we don't support Ubuntu here.

In Debian, you can use ivman and pmount for automount w/ rox. Both packages are available via apt-get in the Debian repo's. Rox will mount everything in /media.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

Hector

ROX and USB devices

#3 Post by Hector »

Hi Mzilikazi!

Many thanks for your reply and help. Your suggestion worked perfectly and I was even able to add the item to Rox panel. Once the pen-drive is inserted it will duly show a folder with a green indicator. Clicking on it displays all files in the USB device. A right click and Eject disables the whole thing for safe removal and and orange "Attention" triangle substitutes the previous folder icon. Your help proved invaluable!

I'm aware that Ubunu is not Debian, although AFAIK it's heavily based on it. The above somehow avails this to some extent. Actually, I ended visiting your forum because I use Fluxbox and Rox.

Once more, many thanks for lending a friendly hand.

Hector

Hector

#4 Post by Hector »

Hi Mzilikazi!

I have an additional question on the above subject. It still is working fine, however, I have to become root and navigate to /media to eject the USB device. The Eject option on the right-click menu from Rox panel icon does not work and yields an error message advising I did not mount the device and am not root.

If I can solve this in a simple way, everything will be perfect. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Hector

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#5 Post by mzilikazi »

Hector wrote:Hi Mzilikazi!

I have an additional question on the above subject. It still is working fine, however, I have to become root and navigate to /media to eject the USB device. The Eject option on the right-click menu from Rox panel icon does not work and yields an error message advising I did not mount the device and am not root.

Thanks in advance

Hector
Hmm do you have the USB device defined in /etc/fstab? If so you should probably remove or comment that line. You can only eject the USB device if you are the user that mounted the USB device.

If you do not resolve this issue, plug in your USB device and post the output of:

Code: Select all

mount
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by oswaldkelso »

Hector wrote:Hi Mzilikazi!

Thanks in advance

Hector
I too have this, some times I can eject as a normal user, some times I need to be root! i have tried to observe if this happens if my pen drive is plugged in at boot or after but it seems random. I have started unplugging other usb devises to try and see if the mount order has anything to do with it but it still seams random. I am at an early stage of investigation but if any one already knows the answer please post.

I'm running etch on this machine

thanks.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Hector

#7 Post by Hector »

Hi Mzilikazi!

Ivman has suddenly stopped from mounting my USB stick! All of a sudden without any previous warning.

In any case, here's the output of mount:

/dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hdb6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/disk/by-uuid/52C07B5AC07B42F1 on /media/hda1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/hdd on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=ivman)

and the contents of fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/hdb1 :
UUID=436661e9-59b0-445d-badc-333b32a80730 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# Entry for /dev/hdb6 :
UUID=b19f469b-520b-48a0-a6d5-fdc1fdd847fe /home ext3 defaults 0 2
# Entry for /dev/hda1 :
UUID=52C07B5AC07B42F1 /media/hda1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 1
# Entry for /dev/hdb5 :
UUID=f9c050de-73e0-4eec-9889-35148611b8c7 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

As you can see sda1 is not included here. I hope you can sort out something out of this info. Thanks a lot for your patience and help.

Hector

revertex

#8 Post by revertex »

Probably you messed up some permissions umounting as root.

to umount as normal user, go to rox > options > action windows and change the umount command to pumount.

make sure you have pmount installed.

i've found a nice script around, just did a few changes, name it whatever you want, make executable, copy to /usr/local/bin and use as rox umount command.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
pumount "$1" 2>/dev/null || fusermount -u "$1" 2>/dev/null || sudo umount "$1" 2>/dev/null ||
echo "Cannot unmount, maybe already umounted" >&2
as you can see, needs sudo to work, even better if you configure passwordles sudo, not to all apps, just umount.

toto

#9 Post by toto »

An easy way to unmount/eject removable media as user with ivman is to also start ivman as user.

For more info read the ivman manual and also the ivman howto on Gentoo wiki:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ivman