Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Transition in X.org in sid

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
alleluia20

Transition in X.org in sid

#1 Post by alleluia20 »

The number of packages to upgrade is big and it seems impossible to upgrade without breaking dependencies.

A thing that worked for me is, on synaptic:

1) Mark xserver-xorg and xserver-xorg-core for upgrade. Apt will ask you to remove a lot of packages, just accept at this moment.

2) Before committing changes, now mark for upgrade / mark for reinstall / unmark the packages that apt wanted to remove. Surprisingly, it will work. Is it a bug of apt?

3) Now commit changes, making sure that no package will be removed (OK, I let apt remove fglrx as I am not interested in it).

I can't stress it so much: do not commit changes before making sure of what you are doing.

lemoicavalier

Re: Transition in X.org in sid

#2 Post by lemoicavalier »

What about a "fresh load"? By that I mean installing only the basic "daily Lenny" (No X or anything), then upgrading and installing X?

Last time I tried that (09-21-07 Build) X didn't install properly (Empty xorg.conf file among other problems)

If no one has tried that by tonight I'll give it a go, and do a fresh load myself with today's Lenny build.
Debian Sid, Kernel 2.6.23.8, KDE 3.5.8
I have conquered the holy mountain horizontally!
LeMoi, He whose planet is Venus.

dms_reddy1969

#3 Post by dms_reddy1969 »

lemoicavalier wrote:What about a "fresh load"? By that I mean installing only the basic "daily Lenny" (No X or anything), then upgrading and installing X?

Last time I tried that (09-21-07 Build) X didn't install properly (Empty xorg.conf file among other problems)

If no one has tried that by tonight I'll give it a go, and do a fresh load myself with today's Lenny build.
I have successfully upgraded my Linux Box from Etch to Lenny without any problems.

MeanDean

#4 Post by MeanDean »

I often remove/purge xorg before I upgrade/dist-upgrade if I am making a big jump...

lemoicavalier

#5 Post by lemoicavalier »

dms_reddy1969 wrote: I have successfully upgraded my Linux Box from Etch to Lenny without any problems.
Yep, no problem there. We're talking from Etch to Sid, or Lenny to Sid :)
Debian Sid, Kernel 2.6.23.8, KDE 3.5.8
I have conquered the holy mountain horizontally!
LeMoi, He whose planet is Venus.