Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Sid on a Dell D830 laptop

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
TonyT

Debian Sid on a Dell D830 laptop

#1 Post by TonyT »

I have a Dell D630 laptop and successfully got Sid running very smoothly on it. I kept some notes as I setup my system just the way I want it, e.g. no bloat, no unnecessary software, efficient and "stable".

Note: The Dell D830 is very similar to the D630 and other Dell laptops, so info in the guide may apply to similar laptops.

Some of the software I have installed:
gnome-core and some gnome applications
openoffice writer and calc (spreadsheets)
compiz-fusion
cairo-dock
kismet
conky
mplayer & xmms

Rather than write a how-to here in this forum, I made a Web page that describes pretty much all I did from install on up to "final" product of a system that works for me and has just what I need on it. I will likely break it in the future and have to startt from scratch again...thus my need for this howto:

http://members.cox.net/tonyt/d830/

good luck!

rbochan

#2 Post by rbochan »

You should submit it to the Linux laptop site. I'm sure others would find it very useful.

...Rob
...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.

TonyT

#3 Post by TonyT »

Good idea, thanks.
I submitted it.