Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO: My grandaughter's favorite editor: Nano

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
txHarleyMan

#31 Post by txHarleyMan »

Lou wrote: Please people from other countries, do not judge us americans for the actions and stupid comments of some individuals who lack grey matter.
/US/ Americans, panama boy? :lol: Ohhhh, that was a good one!

Most Americans believe in being /available to help/ their offspring, but they should be taught to try and accomplish certain things on their own first. By applying this logic, they will learn to become functional in society when they become adults.

Oh... :smile:
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

Lou

#32 Post by Lou »

txHarleyMan wrote:
Let me come down to your level boy, there is a large community of ex-pats who live here, that were stationed here while in the U.S. Army for jungle training. You do know what that is, right?

I was born and raised in Union City, NJ (Hudson County). My parents emigrated from P.R., i served in the U.S. Army in Vietnam 1967-68, unlike you, i don't talk the talk, but i do walk the walk.
Most Americans believe in being /available to help/ their offspring, but they should be taught to try and accomplish certain things on their own first. By applying this logic, they will learn to become functional in society when they become adults.

Obviously, yours didn't, where did they fail? You give us all a bad name :)
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

txHarleyMan

#33 Post by txHarleyMan »

Lou wrote:
txHarleyMan wrote:
Let me come down to your level boy, there is a large community of ex-pats who live here, that were stationed here while in the U.S. Army for jungle training. You do know what that is, right?

I was born and raised in Union City, NJ (Hudson County). My parents emigrated from P.R., i served in the U.S. Army in Vietnam 1967-68, unlike you, i don't talk the talk, but i do walk the walk.

Obviously, yours didn't, where did they fail? You give us all a bad name :)
Well, way down here in the jungle at /my/ level, I did serve in the US Army. 4 years active, 2 reserve. It was peacetime when I served.

I was born and raised in the United States and I still live here, panamaboy.

And most people, I say most because you are obviously not one of them, want their offspring to be functional on their own at some point in life and not have to depend on grandpa lou-lou to do their bidding.

And :smile: back at ya.
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

Lou

Re: HOWTO: My grandaughter's favorite editor: Nano

#34 Post by Lou »

Lou wrote:
When you're using the cursor, you can't use the mouse to copy/paste (you
have to disable the mouse cursor momentarily, losing the cursor ability ), so
you do Alt+m to copy (hilite) and paste with the middle button, and
again Alt+m to use the cursor. Clear as mud? Maybe there is an easier
way...
There is an easier way.

I just found this at the Nano Editor FAQ
http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v2.0/faq.html#4.12

Code: Select all

4.13. How do I select text for or paste text from the clipboard in an X terminal when I'm running nano in one and nano's mouse support is turned on?

Try holding down the Shift key and selecting or pasting the text as you normally would. 
It works great!

Lou

#35 Post by Lou »

txHarleyMan wrote: Well, way down here in the jungle at /my/ level, I did serve in the US Army. 4 years active, 2 reserve. It was peacetime when I served.
IOW, you saw no action, but talk big about being a patriot?

Have a flag pin on your lapel? Talk about how you did this and that, to the mexicans, gooks, or ragheads? We had a few of those in 'Nam, they changed their tune in no time after the first barrage of mortar fire from the NVA. All that bravado, America, Love It or Leave It, went to hell in a hurry. They went home and never talk about this ever.

As for spoiling my son's kid, i do it because i want to.

As for americans being self-reliant, that's BS, the quality of citizens we got now is horrible.

Most, are ignorant and full of hot air just like you. They've never left their country, or read a book, speak a second language, read a newspaper, or understand globalization.

They think America is the greatest, that life is a Rambo movie, that's why they're getting their trailer-trash kids killed unnecesarily. But of course, only the poor ones. They are the product of an MTV-rap music-fractured society, and THAT is why i left, i didn't want my kids to grow up and be the kind of people you are.

Keep your flag and your fast-food burritos. Talk about knowing how to raise kids...Pfft

This is my last word on the subject. Looking forward to seeing your next HOWTO.

garrincha

#36 Post by garrincha »

O.k. guys I hate to say it but both of you went waaaay off-topic! :)

Psss...somehow I knew that the two of you will one day come to blow. I was wondering how many medals fill up your breast plate Soviet style. hee!

As for nano I only use the middle mouse button for all the copy & paste function, not just in nano but within the X window. Of course you could use keys like Ctrl+k and Ctrl+u to cut & paste text in nano.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

txHarleyMan

#37 Post by txHarleyMan »

You're an amazing individual, lou. All this because I suggested she learn how to fix her issue with Nano herself. Just like here, answers don't come easily. People expect you to put some effort into finding a solution first.

Teach her /how/ to fish, gramps, instead of tossing one to her.

And you have yourself a nice life.
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch

txHarleyMan

#38 Post by txHarleyMan »

Hey lou, did you FIX IT yet?
txHarleyMan
Debian Etch