Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PlayOnLinux

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

PlayOnLinux

#1 Post by mzilikazi »

What is PlayOnLinux you ask? Well to quote this article
PlayOnLinux (POL) is a python-based frontend (with bash install scripts) to install windows programs in Wine.
OK so you're not impressed yet.... how about now?
You can assign specific wine versions to run your installed windows program from. If that Wine version is not available on your system, you can choose what version you want and POL downloads and installs the specifc wine version for you.
Impressed now? I was. Well that's really cool but.....if you simply download the .deb and try to install it you will fail. You need python-wxgtk2.8 which does not exist in Debian proper.

*Disclaimer*
Keep in mind that I run Debian Sid and this may not work out for Etch (honestly I dunno but I should *think* it would work but I did not personally test it - please try it and report back one way or another).

You need a new repo:

Code: Select all

deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ etch-wx main
Get the key, update and install.

curl http://apt.wxwidgets.org/key.asc | sudo apt-key add -
apt-get update
apt-get install python-wxgtk2.8
Get the playonlinux.deb

wget http://www.playonlinux.com/script_files/PlayOnLinux/2.0.5/PlayOnLinux_2.0.5.deb
dpkg -i PlayOnLinux_2.0.5.deb
Fear not if you have unresolved dependencies:

apt-get -f install
So there you have it. One small hurdle left. The default language is French and if like me the only French you know is a type of kissing you may wish to change it to English.

playonlinux
Click:
Options>Langue>Suivant>en_EN.UTF-8>Suivant>Suivant
I think Suivant means 'crap' in English or at least that's what I kept saying everytime I clicked it. So now I know what it's like to have an app that is not in your native tongue by default. :roll:
Close PlayOnLinux and restart. It should now be in English. Some of the dialogs are still (apparently) not translated but it seems to be fairly intuitive.

I've not tested this software extensively and it would appear that there are still some bugs but I think in time it could become a very useful application. I do know that some Win32 apps simply stop working once you upgrade your WINE version. The fact that you can easilyt have and manage multiple wine versions is is what initially attracted me to PlayOnLinux.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

edbarx

#2 Post by edbarx »

Doesn't that introduce security holes like hidden threads, hidden adware, hidden spyware etc in Debian? Security was the major push which motivated me to use Linux. I am too sceptic to use any Windows application on Linux!
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

edbarx wrote:Doesn't that introduce security holes like hidden threads, hidden adware, hidden spyware etc in Debian? Security was the major push which motivated me to use Linux. I am too sceptic to use any Windows application on Linux!
To some extent yes however there is a fundamental difference between Windows & Linux that lessens the potential for a problem. As long as you are executing these applications as $USER the damage is contained to your users home directory. $USER does not have permission to write anywhere in the filesystem except his/her home directory.

The fact of the matter is that some people need to use applications that only run on win32 platforms. I am one of them and I'm not referring to games. Some people will say 'if it doesn't run on Linux you don' need it' but this shows a clear mis-understanding of just how many applications there really are that only exist for win32 platforms. Windows is totally integrated into almost all businesses and to expect that these applications will just 'go away' is ludicrous. If it makes you nervous you can of course simply choose not to run WINE. I for one am quite thankful that WINE exists. It certainyl makes my life easier.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

edbarx

#4 Post by edbarx »

Thanks for explaining your opinion. It is always good to understand other people's opinion. It helps me keep an open mind.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.