Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

create a debian live image

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
ingo

#16 Post by ingo »

Cross posting :) I agree with your steps and that is indeed what I have been doing myself with another debian based distro.

However, the final iso command is my downfall at the mo...

Christ on a bike, it is all there! Thank you!!!

Bro.Tiag

#17 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:part2 is done...I think...

feel free to ask any questions (even i f I do crack a joke about your sweaty little hand)

need any or all the sections explained then just let me know but don't forget that man is your friend too and is always there to help you

:lol:
OK, will have to wait till tonight to try out, although I'm sure they are fine.

Anyhow, I do have a question. What is the difference (if any) between doing;

Code: Select all

mount -t proc -o bind /proc/ extractedfilesystem/proc/
before chroot vs.

mount -t proc none /proc
mount -t sysfs none /sys
mount -t devpts none /dev/pts
export HOME=/root
export LC_ALL=C 
after chroot?

Also, what 'bout resolv.conf to fs/etc/, or is the internet connection established another way?

Cheers

MeanDean

#18 Post by MeanDean »

ingo wrote:If you could now supply me with the proper mkisofs command to tie my work up and pack it into a nice iso I'd be more than grateful!!!
might take look at part2, near the end...starts with mkisofs :D

damn you got sweaty hands :P

Bro.Tiag

#19 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:
ingo wrote:If you could now supply me with the proper mkisofs command to tie my work up and pack it into a nice iso I'd be more than grateful!!!
might take look at part2, near the end...starts with mkisofs :D

damn you got sweaty hands :P
Well this mkisofs command has a better string with it then that other one you posted (with the wee " ." at the end of the line). :?

Cheers

MeanDean

#20 Post by MeanDean »

Bro.Tiag wrote: Anyhow, I do have a question. What is the difference (if any) between doing;

mount -t proc -o bind /proc/ extractedfilesystem/proc/
before chroot vs.

mount -t proc none /proc
mount -t sysfs none /sys
mount -t devpts none /dev/pts
export HOME=/root
export LC_ALL=C 
after chroot?
the difference is one is done before and the other after... :lol:
man I kill me....

Just a different way to do it. Seems less problematic and more thorough....i think. I use to have /proc refuse to unmount but that doesn't happen with the newer method.
Also, what 'bout resolv.conf to fs/etc/, or is the internet connection established another way?
With the new method my internet works fine without doing that. I assume the new method binds everything needed but I am not sure. I figure if someone posts and says they cant reach the internet then I will pass along copying the resolv.conf over otherwise I will let is slide.

MeanDean

#21 Post by MeanDean »

Bro.Tiag wrote: Well this mkisofs command has a better string with it then that other one you posted (with the wee " ." at the end of the line). :?
Ya, even I overlooked the . far too often so I figured I would eliminate that!

Bro.Tiag

#22 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Thanks.
MeanDean wrote: Just a different way to do it. Seems less problematic and more thorough....i think. I use to have /proc refuse to unmount but that doesn't happen with the newer method.
I too found that I sometimes had issues with unmount /proc, but I stopped messing round in the mounted fs with Xfe while also chrooted in said fs ended that problem.

Cheers

ingo

#23 Post by ingo »

I can't do it on my etch system, tells me I should get a newer kernel - aaaargh :twisted:

On mount -t squashfs -o loop iso/live/filesystem.squashfs tmp/ I get
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
And dmesg tells me:
SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, trying to mount newer 3.1 filesystem
SQUASHFS error: Please update your kernel
What now? Is there no way I can do this from Etch? Got to think...

Bro.Tiag

#24 Post by Bro.Tiag »

ingo wrote:I can't do it on my etch system, tells me I should get a newer kernel - aaaargh :twisted:

On mount -t squashfs -o loop iso/live/filesystem.squashfs tmp/ I get
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
And dmesg tells me:
SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, trying to mount newer 3.1 filesystem
SQUASHFS error: Please update your kernel
What now? Is there no way I can do this from Etch? Got to think...
I ran into the same issue on etch a fortnight ago. This was while there were issues with squashfs in lenny & sid. I do not have any real solution since squashfs has been fixed for sid. If you have the space, you could add a wee lenny partition/install and then work in there.

Cheers

ingo

#25 Post by ingo »

Cheers Bro..

I don't fancy doing it that way 'though I have the space and all. But to get out of my normal OS in order to remaster (which takes a bit of time on my box) is not really what I am looking for.

I could try it on my laptop which runs the latest kubuntu...

But what exactly is the problem here? squashfs itself must have undergone some changes as I was able to remaster an etch based kernel without any probs.

MeanDean

#26 Post by MeanDean »

ingo wrote: But what exactly is the problem here?
Be absolutely sure you have pathnames and so forth correct and arent trying to mount the wrong thing in the wrong place. Then be sure that you have the latest kernel available along with the latest squash modules - afaik they must match exactly

I have ran into similar problems on every flavor of debian and usually purging, updating, checking kernel symlinks and fooling around enough will finally fix it. Assuming I am simply not typing something wrong. :)

Afraid I am not much help with etch anymore. I think I just wiped my last etch install....

ingo

#27 Post by ingo »

Cheers MeanDean,

done all that and no go.

What bothers me though is why was I able to make a lenny live CD using live-helper? What has it got that I haven't :shock:

ingo

#28 Post by ingo »

Hm, my Etch kernel is 2.6.18-6-k7 - I've tried to update to ...22-4-k7 but there are no squashfs-modules available :(

My laptop's Kubuntu runs on 2.6.22-14 and is ALSO too old.

So the question begs asking: which kernel are you lot using? The 24? Does Lenny come with it or is the unpredictable Sid called for?

MeanDean

#29 Post by MeanDean »

IIRC the latst etch kernels are 2.6.18-7 so you might try to upgrade that AND be sure to remove/purge your current squashfs modules and then install the latest.

Then again maybe the squash in etch is simply too old?

Also, do you have the latest (or at least a recent) live-helper package?

Awww heck, install lenny and be happy. :) I run lenny usually - easy to pull something from sid if you need it.

ingo

#30 Post by ingo »

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, MeanDean.

However, a new install is not what I'm after - too many customised stuff on . Am considering installing lenny on virtualbox (am doing so at the mo actually) and do my remastering from there. However, I can only allocate 512mb RAM - might be slooooooooooooow.

The other alternative would be to upgrade to lenny and am scouring the forum for what to look out for. In the meantime I should mirror my current Etch setup onto another partition just in case. Plan is to boot knoppix and shift everything from / to the mirror partition. If things go topsy-turvy I can always mirror it back to / - should work, shouldn't it?

MeanDean

#31 Post by MeanDean »

part 3 is posted!

If anyone can help out with the proper commands to start the various desktop environments in the xnest window that would be swell. If not I will update them as I go along...

If anyone knows a better way of doing any of this, please share.

Bro.Tiag

#32 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:part 3 is posted!

If anyone can help out with the proper commands to start the various desktop environments in the xnest window that would be swell. If not I will update them as I go along...

If anyone knows a better way of doing any of this, please share.
Thanks.

OK, Xnest , installed on the host OS, the extractedfs OS or both? Also while in the chrooted filesystem.squashfs you then unmount /proc, /sys & /dev/pts then;
  • chroot fs mount -t proc none /proc
    chroot fs mount -t sysfs none /sys
    chroot fs mount -t devpts none /dev/pts
then Xnest -ac :1 &

And what can one do in the PART 3 - START A GRAPHICAL ENVIRONMENT ? Set up logins, run applications what not, just as if running in an emulator?

Cheers
ps - Me thinks that this is where I'd sort out my query I left you to CW's forum, right?

eazy24

#33 Post by eazy24 »

Big tnx MeanDean,i am waited for this long time,i got my lenny livecd sucessfully built with all programs what i need included,but i didnt know how to include installer,so thanks again for this howto,its very very helpful :D

MeanDean

#34 Post by MeanDean »

Bro.Tiag wrote:Thanks.
welcome!
OK, Xnest , installed on the host OS, the extractedfs OS or both?
Installed on your current OS, the one you are using. I guess I should mention that somewhere....just where... That does bring up a interesting thought - would it be possible to somehow start X or xnest from the chroot???
Also while in the chrooted filesystem.squashfs you then unmount /proc, /sys & /dev/pts then;
Yea, I did it that way to keep it separate steps. But if you wanted to leave those mounted, exit the chroot and then jump to step 3 it should be fine. Or in part2 if instead of chroot fs you just wanted to pass commands via chroot like chroot fs apt-get install beep then that is should be fine. Chroot works both ways. Either you can tell chroot to execute commands in a certain folder, like in part3 where we tell it to mount that stuff in the fs folder. Or you can simply 'change root' to a certain folder and you are working in that folder until you exit - like we do in part2.

I hope that made some sense... :)

I keep them as separate steps simply to have a process to follow depending on what I want to do, instead of trying to figure out what parts I need to skip. Keeps me from having to think about it. Do you think I should integrate part3 into part2? Or maybe make a separate post with them integrated together?How about if I made one post with part3 integrated and one post without part 3 integrated. Might be more sensible...
And what can one do in the PART 3 - START A GRAPHICAL ENVIRONMENT ? Set up logins, run applications what not, just as if running in an emulator?
Anything you want to do. You can do anything in any of the steps. Once you chroot you ARE in the new system so anything you do will apply to that new system. Install, remove, tweak, adjust, edit, add users, add groups, whatever.... The graphical environment is probably a more obvious(?) to adjust themes and so forth. But anything you want to do should be fine....if you blow it up then it isn't fine though. :)
- Me thinks that this is where I'd sort out my query I left you to CW's forum, right?
me thinks you are probably on your own with that one...
I wonder if it has to do with the 'live' user account conflicting with whomever you are trying to autologin. Not sure, but I would start by playing around with user accounts and trying to setup a new one to use for the autologin. If you figure it out I would be very interested in the solution!

* I also added back the part about copying resolv.conf since some may need it and it shouldnt hurt anything.
Last edited by MeanDean on 2008-04-09 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

MeanDean

#35 Post by MeanDean »

eazy24 wrote:Big tnx MeanDean
big welcome!
As soon as I get a chance I will update the following howto about manually installing a livecd http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=98455
of course, it is sort of a moot issue now :)