Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

create a debian live image

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
MeanDean

#46 Post by MeanDean »

MeanDean wrote: As soon as I get a chance I will update the following howto about manually installing a livecd http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=98455
It has been updated....some things have changed and may change again in the future so I have no idea how long it will be applicable. I tried to explain what I was doing so it will at least be a rough guide to follow. Basically it involves copying everything over except stuff that is dynamic and anything that should not be copied - use your best judgment - then edit fstab to look normal, install grub (if needed)...

Bro.Tiag

#47 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote: I'm sure that there is a better way, but this works.

Cheers
I wonder if you could just edit /etc/inittab and use -f user
1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f user </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
and then edit bash profile to startx...

so much fun stuff....so little time...
Aye, that just worked. Mind you all I did was modify my /etc/inittab on my previous working auto login set up. But it did work. Also this was the first time I actually was able to boot to the gui in qemu.

Cheers
ps - stop editing your post's, you keep confusing me.
pss - so I guess I was not the only one with problems trying Xnest?

MeanDean

#48 Post by MeanDean »

Bro.Tiag wrote: ps - stop editing your post's, you keep confusing me.
pss - so I guess I was not the only one with problems trying Xnest?
gotta keep up....!!!!

Well, i assume you are running as root so I am not sure how you would need to adjust anything. I don't have a problem running xnest but it ends up running the environment as root instead of a user.....trying to figure out how to explain how to start the environment as the desired user.

I think I am also going to put in about editing inittab to remove the autologin user.

trying to make this as universal as possible instead of someone having to create a certain user, and do certain things and just following along instead of being free to do what they want....probably failing miserably though...

Penguin Skinner

Re: live-helper create image and customize environment howto

#49 Post by Penguin Skinner »

MeanDean wrote:The following commands will build a lenny live image for i386 with myfavs package list and the debian installer

mkdir livebuild
cd livebuild
lh_config -d lenny -a i386 -p myfavs --debian-installer=enabled
lh_build
when it is done, look in the livebuild folder for the binary.is
Great how-to, Dean. One question: what is the correct format/syntax for the "myfavs" package list file? A brief example would be helpful. Can this list be created, for example, using dpkg or maybe apt-cache to generate a list of installed packages on an existing install?

MeanDean

#50 Post by MeanDean »

Examples are in /usr/share/live-helper/lists :)

I think it can be packagnames seperated by a space or blank line So I guess something like:

Code: Select all

icewm medit audacious
or even

icewm

medit

audacious
I think you can include other predefined package lists from /usr/share/live-helper/lists in your package list like so:

#<include> standard-x11
icewm medit audacious
dpkg --get-selections could be used....I am more familiar with
dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} ' | sort -n >> packs.txt

Penguin Skinner

#51 Post by Penguin Skinner »

Thanks, Dean! I only just tried one of the pre-made Debian-Live .img builds yesterday, and it works so well I plan to roll my own soon. Neat stuff!

Bro.Tiag

#52 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Penguin Skinner wrote:Thanks, Dean! I only just tried one of the pre-made Debian-Live .img builds yesterday, and it works so well I plan to roll my own soon. Neat stuff!

Careful, just another addiction. :D

ingo

#53 Post by ingo »

Okay, now I got lenny (at last!) I can look at those things as well in more detail.

If I understand right, live-helper does not really let you change things like /etc/skel - or does it???

Bro.Tiag

#54 Post by Bro.Tiag »

ingo wrote:Okay, now I got lenny (at last!) I can look at those things as well in more detail.

If I understand right, live-helper does not really let you change things like /etc/skel - or does it???
Not sure if live-helper lets you muck with etc/skel (although I suspect it does) but Deans second post in this thread gives instructions on customizing.

Cheers

ingo

#55 Post by ingo »

Yeah, am aware of that Bro. Tiag - cheers. I have no problems getting into the chroot environment myself (at least that way I understand what I am doing rather than having some helper...).

Just wondered.

Penguin Skinner

#56 Post by Penguin Skinner »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
Penguin Skinner wrote:Thanks, Dean! I only just tried one of the pre-made Debian-Live .img builds yesterday, and it works so well I plan to roll my own soon. Neat stuff!

Careful, just another addiction. :D
LOL! But at least this one is legal, non-intoxicating, and free. :)

ingo

#57 Post by ingo »

Non intoxicating?? Not sure I want that :wink:

However, one thing I'm sure I don't want is to type in all those commands every time I want to put chroot into a squashfs or make the iso.

A few people have been working on a script on another forum. It needs a little adjustment to work for all squashfs based distros but that is easily done.

Anybody interested?

Bro.Tiag

#58 Post by Bro.Tiag »

ingo wrote:Non intoxicating?? Not sure I want that :wink:

However, one thing I'm sure I don't want is to type in all those commands every time I want to put chroot into a squashfs or make the iso.

A few people have been working on a script on another forum. It needs a little adjustment to work for all squashfs based distros but that is easily done.

Anybody interested?
How hard is it to copy them into a wee file & make them executable? Granted it's not universal, but for personal use it makes things easier.

Cheers

ingo

#59 Post by ingo »

fair play - just a thought...

Bro.Tiag

#60 Post by Bro.Tiag »

ingo wrote:fair play - just a thought...
Now worries, took a dozen times or so till I thought of doing that. :D

MeanDean

#61 Post by MeanDean »

copy/paste is what I usually do...I did make a script a while back but wasn't much point to it IMO

ingo

#62 Post by ingo »

I kept on getting the perl locale error - it only went away once I did this in chroot
LC_ALL=C ; export LC_ALL

ingo

#63 Post by ingo »

Have any of you tried to get the installer onto your live CD? The documentation has not really made me understand the issues involved. At first I hoped to just go apt-get install installer-i386 but that package cannot be found...

Bro.Tiag

#64 Post by Bro.Tiag »

ingo wrote:Have any of you tried to get the installer onto your live CD? The documentation has not really made me understand the issues involved. At first I hoped to just go apt-get install installer-i386 but that package cannot be found...
I have built a LiveCD (Lenny) with the option of an installer included. Alas, I'm away from said computer to see the exact command I used (& dean keeps editing these instructions) as well as I've never tryed to install. The install option is there, I checked, but aborted the install.

Cheers

MeanDean

#65 Post by MeanDean »

as far as I know the only way to include the installer is to specify it as a lh_config option