Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

create a debian live image

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
MeanDean

#61 Post by MeanDean »

copy/paste is what I usually do...I did make a script a while back but wasn't much point to it IMO

ingo

#62 Post by ingo »

I kept on getting the perl locale error - it only went away once I did this in chroot
LC_ALL=C ; export LC_ALL

ingo

#63 Post by ingo »

Have any of you tried to get the installer onto your live CD? The documentation has not really made me understand the issues involved. At first I hoped to just go apt-get install installer-i386 but that package cannot be found...

Bro.Tiag

#64 Post by Bro.Tiag »

ingo wrote:Have any of you tried to get the installer onto your live CD? The documentation has not really made me understand the issues involved. At first I hoped to just go apt-get install installer-i386 but that package cannot be found...
I have built a LiveCD (Lenny) with the option of an installer included. Alas, I'm away from said computer to see the exact command I used (& dean keeps editing these instructions) as well as I've never tryed to install. The install option is there, I checked, but aborted the install.

Cheers

MeanDean

#65 Post by MeanDean »

as far as I know the only way to include the installer is to specify it as a lh_config option

Bro.Tiag

#66 Post by Bro.Tiag »

I did find some notes that may be of help.
#PART 1 - BUILD A BASE IMAGE USING LIVE-HELPER

#The following commands will build a base sid live image for i386

mkdir livebuild
cd livebuild
lh_config -a i386 -d sid
lh_build

#when it is done, look in the livebuild folder for the binary.iso

#The following commands will build a base sid live image for i386 with business
#card installer

mkdir livebuild
cd livebuild
lh_config -a i386 -d sid --debian-installer=businesscard
lh_build

#The following commands will build a base sid live image for i386 with
#installer

mkdir livebuild
cd livebuild
lh_config -a i386 -d sid --debian-installer=enabled
lh_build

#If you want a lenny image then replace -d sid with -d lenny in the above
#commands.
Cheers

pl@yer

#67 Post by pl@yer »

I have been wanting to make my own live cd for a while. Thanks a lot MeanDean this is what I was looking for!!

ingo

#68 Post by ingo »

oh bloody 'ell, I can't get my mind round that bleeding live helper stuff and hoped for a "sensible" CLI solution :lol:

ingo

#69 Post by ingo »

Sweaty hands at work again here...

Cheers to all of you.

So I might get my thick head around the live helper business, but whenever I try and use xnest (still not sure what the point of it is, but there you go) I get an error message.

I installed xnest - is there anything else one ought to look out for? I run it from the command line logged into X as a user - is that is where I go wrong?

MeanDean

#70 Post by MeanDean »

ewww sweaty hands...

Not sure if it would make a difference if you were logged in as a user or not....but if you follow my howto then the first thing you do is su root.

All the xnest provides is a graphical way to make changes to the user environment. Personally, I see no point in it but I figure it has a little 'cool factor' to it. If you dont need it then skip it....of course you would have to skip a few other things also.

give me a little bit and I will redo that part and split it up into a few different methods....

The easiest way to follow my howto IMO is to copy and paste the commands, just be sure not to have a extra space at the end of the commands. The forum software seems to include a extra little space. I guess I could enclose it in code tags.

Bro.Tiag

#71 Post by Bro.Tiag »

ingo wrote:So I might get my thick head around the live helper business, but whenever I try and use xnest (still not sure what the point of it is, but there you go) I get an error message.

I installed xnest - is there anything else one ought to look out for? I run it from the command line logged into X as a user - is that is where I go wrong?
You might have to be root or use su/sudo with the following command;

Code: Select all

Xnest -ac :2 & 
NOTE: If :2 does not work then use a different number
just be sure to use the same number later also.

This is done before;
cp /etc/hosts fs/etc/
cp /etc/resolv.conf fs/etc/

chroot fs mount -t proc none /proc
chroot fs mount -t sysfs none /sys
chroot fs mount -t devpts none /dev/pts

chroot fs
If you get the Xnest grey window to come up, you're OK. Then it is just sorting out what to call once you have chroot 'ed into the filesystem. I'm working on a LiveCD utilizing e17 and installed to opt via the OzOs' version of easy_e17 script, so I have to use;

Code: Select all

env DISPLAY=":2" /opt/e17/bin/enlightenment_start &
Cheers

ingo

#72 Post by ingo »

Well, I _think_ I followed the howto to the letter, not sure about those trailing spaces, though...

Will give it another go tomorrow for I'm off to get me forty winks now.

Toodle pip

MeanDean

#73 Post by MeanDean »

If anyone is having problems with any of this then feel free to post....

This works for me on a few different setups but I am more than willing to work out another method to try if it isn't working for someone.

I am going to try and split up the customize step...

Bro.Tiag

#74 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:If anyone is having problems with any of this then feel free to post....

This works for me on a few different setups but I am more than willing to work out another method to try if it isn't working for someone.

I am going to try and split up the customize step...
NO! Not another edit of this HowTo. I can not keep up with the changes (mind you it's all worked for me in the past).

OH, an as for the Xnest option, I do like it. Not for the install, but for the tweaking of some of the custom desktop stuff. Sure beats the 45 minute turn round, just to see if you got the thing-a-ma-bob in the right place next to the whach-a-ma-call-it, of making the squashfs, makiso write iso & then blank the cd-rw.

Cheers

MeanDean

#75 Post by MeanDean »

Bro.Tiag wrote: NO! Not another edit of this HowTo.

mwa haha haaaa
OH, an as for the Xnest option, I do like it.

yea, I do like to use the xnest just to check and be sure...

roadnottaken

#76 Post by roadnottaken »

I just took a look at xnest's package description, and discovered that the package maintainer strongly recommends the use of the xephyr xserver (xserver-xephyr) instead. I guess Dean will just have to edit the HowTo again. [evil laugh] ... ... ... ... [/evil laugh]
BOFH excuse #191:

Just type 'mv * /dev/null'.

MeanDean

#77 Post by MeanDean »

roadnottaken wrote:recommends the use of the xephyr xserver (xserver-xephyr) instead.
thanks for that....never heard of it

of course xnest works so I will probably stick with it.....for now anyway...

Bro.Tiag

#78 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:CURRENTLY BEING TESTED - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

METHODS TO CUSTOMIZE THE ISO
MeanDean wrote:reserved for a actual walkthru of the customization process....

hopefully can create a recordmydesktop video of the process...
Man, am I glad I started saving each page each time you make edits. Image

MeanDean

#79 Post by MeanDean »

I thought you would commit it to memory :)

I dont think I changed anything, maybe a little, simply moved the post around. It should be fine but I havent done it yet so I thought I would throw a warning flag...

Bro.Tiag

#80 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:I thought you would commit it to memory :)

I dont think I changed anything, maybe a little, simply moved the post around. It should be fine but I havent done it yet so I thought I would throw a warning flag...
Memory, no, ./bash_history.