Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

trick - create a live installable copy of your system

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
MeanDean

Re: trick - create a live installable copy of your system

#31 Post by MeanDean »

You can 'write' to a running live system. Those changes disappear when you reboot though.

mike_phi

#32 Post by mike_phi »

When you say running live system you mean the target machine needs to have Debian already installed, how do I perform the write.

Second question
about creating the live USB I would like the USB to have everything on my machine in the same way the cd iso command created the cd

lh_config --bootstrap copy --debian-installer live

what would be the corresponding USB command

nadir

#33 Post by nadir »

mike_phi wrote: ....
Second question
about creating the live USB I would like the USB to have everything on my machine in the same way the cd iso command created the cd

lh_config --bootstrap copy --debian-installer live

what would be the corresponding USB command
I think you can use that command and then use unetbootin to put the resulting iso on a stick.
unetbootin is not available for Debian Lenny. There is a way around that, but i forgot (do a quick search and you should find it)

Why do i say: " i think" ?
I just tested it with my self-made live-CD, which is a copy of an installation. But i don't use "lh config --bootstrap copy --debian-installer live" anymore, but the remixer-tool from refracta (because it is more easy). It does pretty much the same.
I think it should work with the command you mentioned too, but wouldn't bet on it.
It took me about 2 minutes to put the already existing live-iso on the stick. Nice and easy.

There is also a live-helper command to create a stick-iso. I don't know if it works with live-helper/bootstrap/copy too. Not sure why it shouldn't.

Short version:
Try unetbootin.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

mike_phi

#34 Post by mike_phi »

Hi there thanks for the tips.

according to the live manual the live usb is built with

lh config -b usb-hdd

now the cd was built with

lh_config --bootstrap copy --debian-installer live (need a equivelent usb command)

which produced a great dvd of my system including my home directory and all configuration files, my question is what is the corresponding USB command to creat the same image (i.e. all home directory and configuration files) for usb as i have on dvd.

MeanDean

#35 Post by MeanDean »

just a guess

lh_config --bootstrap copy --debian-installer live -b usb-hdd

or depending on which version of live-helper you are using

lh config --bootstrap copy --debian-installer live -b usb-hdd