Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to Rip CSS Protected DVDs

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
phenest

Re: How to Rip CSS Protected DVDs

#21 Post by phenest »

esp7 wrote:if they don't want to have us playing generic DVD disks in computer they should invent another medium
They did. It's called Blu-ray.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

phenest wrote:
esp7 wrote:it should be regulated by EU
You mean the same EU that wanted some popular fruits to be a certain shape? I'm glad we're leaving.
It seems to be a common explanation from those happy we are leaving about why they are happy we are leaving.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/s ... 856215de0f

Dai_trying

#23 Post by Dai_trying »

FreewheelinFrank wrote:
phenest wrote:
esp7 wrote:it should be regulated by EU
You mean the same EU that wanted some popular fruits to be a certain shape? I'm glad we're leaving.
It seems to be a common explanation from those happy we are leaving about why they are happy we are leaving.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/s ... 856215de0f
I wanted to respond to this with many reasons we should leave vs the few reasons to stay, but realised we have wandered a distance from the topic so will not do so.

phenest

#24 Post by phenest »

Off topic:
I was going to explain the joke, but as you say...

On topic:
Given that this topic has legal issues, should we continue discussing it?

esp7

#25 Post by esp7 »

phenest wrote:On topic:
Given that this topic has legal issues, should we continue discussing it?
Legal issues? There are none legal issues for making a backup of your own dvd movies. DMCA is a nice thing and all but it does not apply where I and many others live. So it's fine to have old CSS circumventing software in the Debian official repositories, but apps able to circumvent latest CSS are not able to be discussed? Come on... you are smarter than this I hope :wink: So basically you also state that Videolan has compiled free software code available on their website which we cannot discuss on debian forum? DMCA is worthless in more than half of the world. No need to force worldwide censorship because of a totalitarian USA regime, called land of the free hopefully saved by Lord.

//offtopic: I would be happy to further discuss political topics in the offtopic subforum, but at least we should increase the arguments from the banana level to the level discussion will make sense :mrgreen:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

phenest

#26 Post by phenest »

I don't know where you live, but in the US and here in the UK, it is most definitely illegal to make backups.

debiman

#27 Post by debiman »

phenest wrote:You mean the same EU that wanted some popular fruits to be a certain shape? I'm glad we're leaving.
my counry is still in the EU, and bananas are still bent here :D

but it reminds me of much worse EU sins... images like these were very common in th 80s; rotting tomatoes bulldozed over on a skip in spain... the famous butter mountain...

phenest

#28 Post by phenest »

They're still bent in the UK. I think the stories were meant to be tongue in cheek to illustrate how stupid some EU decisions are.

Boy, has this wandered off topic. Now we're talking about bananas.

esp7

#29 Post by esp7 »

the whole brexit campaign was a joke, no need to keep bashing the non conventional bananas. let's see how your economy will proceed, i remember when i had to travel a lot to witham for work that once you leave london, poverty is smashed in your face and time stood still since many years ago. on top, the whole economy is so much depending on the financial markets, the brexit can be a real party pooper over time as protectionism is not the ideal solution in a failing global free market. at least i am confident Nigel Farage will protect your bananas :wink:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

ruffwoof

#30 Post by ruffwoof »

esp7 wrote:i remember when i had to travel a lot to witham for work that once you leave london, poverty is smashed in your face and time stood still since many years ago. on top, the whole economy is so much depending on the financial markets, the brexit can be a real party pooper over time as protectionism is not the ideal solution in a failing global free market.
World Institute for Development Economics Research : assets of $2,200 per adult placed a household in the top half of the world wealth distribution in the year 2000. To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world required $61,000 in assets.
25 million homes in the UK of which 7 out of 10 are owner occupiers. There alone indicates that the UK has significant numbers of those that are in the worlds top 10% richest.

Protectionism is a option that avoids dilution down to a lower common denominator.

As for OP pdvdrstab might be an alternative ???

I have a version of that program working in Debian Jessie (standard (command line only) with xorg/jwm/rox/pcmanfm ... installed on top), but had to get gtkdialog(3) up and running (along with installing additional programs from the Debian repository) ... but I haven't used it in any meaningful way.

phenest

#31 Post by phenest »

ruffwoof wrote:As for OP
The OP hasn't posted here in over 2 years. This thread is over 7 years old. It was esp7 who revived it and then went significantly off topic.

But if anyone does want to rip DVDs, just use MakeMKV.

ruffwoof

#32 Post by ruffwoof »

phenest wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:As for OP
The OP hasn't posted here in over 2 years. This thread is over 7 years old. It was esp7 who revived it and then went significantly off topic.
Thanks Phenest. Missed that completely (OP posted in 2009 !)