Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Alternative Performance Kernel for Debian

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
damentz

Alternative Performance Kernel for Debian

#1 Post by damentz »

Hi everyone,

I'm the maintainer of the Liquorix set, a precompiled kernel on x86/x86-64 for Debian Sid (testing will work too) optimized only for desktop performance, never server. This kernel contains a modified version of the Zen Sources @ http://git.zen-sources.org and a kernel configuration optimized for a practical desktop experience.

Recently, Con Kolivas began writing a new process scheduler named Brainf*** scheduler, or BFS. I am currently building my kernels with his scheduler instead as they prove more useful than CFS for things that matter; interactivity, fair and low latency distribution of cpu bandwidth for gaming, video, and audio related things.

For anyone interested, just add the following to a sources file (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list): deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

or for you scripters, echo "deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list

You can then install with a shotgun approach: apt-get install '.*liquorix'. This will grab the kernel for your architecture and the keyring too.

More information can be found at http://liquorix.net

Raw Sources can be found at http://liquorix.net/sources. I just created a local script to automatically keep that directory updated with the changes to my packages.

git Repository can be viewed and pulled from http://github.com/damentz/liquorix

For any quick questions, you can reach me at #smxi on irc.oftc.net :D
Last edited by damentz on 2010-06-03 04:43, edited 7 times in total.

Soul Singin'

Re: BFS precompiled kernel

#2 Post by Soul Singin' »

Wonderful. I can't wait to install a scheduler whose first successful boot occurred three weeks ago.
Con Kolivas wrote:
Is this stable?

Probably not. I use it on half a dozen machines but the code only booted for
the first time successfully on the 25th August 2009 so you work out how new
it is.
And the first place I'm going to download that scheduler from is ...

... a website that makes me dizzy with candy-cane stripes :!:
:roll:

EDIT: Removed a hot-linked image that Damentz used to insert profanity into my post.
Last edited by Soul Singin' on 2009-09-27 06:16, edited 2 times in total.

damentz

#3 Post by damentz »

Those stripes prohibit narrow, judgmental users from grabbing my kernel... sort of like an innocuous topsy turvy scare crow flopping around in the wind :D

But otherwise, BFS is very stable for 3 weeks. Remember that Con has already written SD before, so the prerequisites to a functioning scheduler are much easier to accomplish twice.

Soul Singin'

#4 Post by Soul Singin' »

damentz wrote:Those stripes prohibit narrow, judgmental users from grabbing my kernel... sort of like an innocuous topsy turvy scare crow flopping around in the wind :D
Those stripes prohibit you from thinking clearly.
damentz wrote:But otherwise, BFS is very stable for 3 weeks.
Con Kolivas specifically said that it is not stable.
Con Kolivas wrote:
Is this stable?

it is.
damentz wrote:Remember that Con has already written SD before, so the prerequisites to a functioning scheduler are much easier to accomplish twice.

Yes. He has written schedulers before, but that does not mean that THIS scheduler is stable.

I'm glad that you are offering this kernel, so that others can easily test his work, but please be honest about the state of his work. Please don't tell people that this scheduler is stable, when it has not even been tested yet.

damentz

#5 Post by damentz »

Soul Singin' wrote:
damentz wrote:But otherwise, BFS is very stable for 3 weeks.
Con Kolivas specifically said that it is not stable.
Con Kolivas wrote:
Is this stable?

it is.
damentz wrote:Remember that Con has already written SD before, so the prerequisites to a functioning scheduler are much easier to accomplish twice.

Yes. He has written schedulers before, but that does not mean that THIS scheduler is stable.

I'm glad that you are offering this kernel, so that others can easily test his work, but please be honest about the state of his work. Please don't tell people that this scheduler is stable, when it has not even been tested yet.
Thank you for almost understanding what I said. Anyway, I'll assert it again; BFS is very stable for 3 weeks.
Soul Singin' wrote:Those stripes prohibit you from thinking clearly.
Stop getting off topic and verifying my analogy, this thread isn't about you or your childish remarks.

Jackiebrown

#6 Post by Jackiebrown »

damentz wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm the maintainer of the Liquorix set, a precompiled kernel on x86/x86-64 for Debian Sid (testing will work too) optimized only for desktop performance, never server.

Recently, Con Kolivas began writing a new process scheduler named Brainf*** scheduler, or BFS. I am currently building my kernels with his scheduler instead as they prove more useful than CFS for things that matter; interactivity, fair and low latency distribution of cpu bandwidth for gaming, video, and audio related things.

For anyone interested, just add the following to a sources file (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list): deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

or for you scripters, echo "deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
I'll give it a go.

damentz

Re: Alternative Performance Kernel for Debian

#7 Post by damentz »

Hey guys, no longer using BFS. Lots of discussion has taken place on the kernel mailing list and many regressions were pinpointed then resolved. Those changes are backported to the Liquorix kernels now, offering the same or better performance than previously achieved with BFS without those stability issues.

craigevil

#8 Post by craigevil »

I havent had any issues with the liquorix kernels.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Penguin Skinner

#9 Post by Penguin Skinner »

Decided to give it a try, and I'm honestly surprised by the performance boost. I'm not one to pay a lot of attention to boot time -- standard Debian kernel boots in about 20 seconds anyway (from grub to login prompt) and the Liquorix kernel reduces that by a good 5 seconds. And desktop performance is impressive ... which, on top of gains seen from the recent upgrades to xorg and open source ATI video driver, is very gratifying.

Thanks for your efforts, damentz!

Soul Singin'

#10 Post by Soul Singin' »

Let's see ... When I expressed concern about the stability of a scheduler that had only been bootable for a few weeks and pointed out that its developer
Soul Singin' wrote:Con Kolivas specifically said that it is not stable.

you dismissed my concerns as:
damentz wrote:childish remarks.
But now that the same
damentz wrote:stability issues

have come up on:
damentz wrote:the kernel mailing list

your kernels are:
damentz wrote:no longer using BFS.

damentz

#11 Post by damentz »

Soul Singin' wrote:Let's see ... When I expressed concern about the stability of a scheduler that had only been bootable for a few weeks and pointed out that its developer
Soul Singin' wrote:Con Kolivas specifically said that it is not stable.

you dismissed my concerns as:
damentz wrote:childish remarks.
But now that the same
damentz wrote:stability issues

have come up on:
damentz wrote:the kernel mailing list

your kernels are:
damentz wrote:no longer using BFS.

Suppose you are gliding over New York and everyone begins putting up umbrellas. All the cars seconds later begin to turn on their windshield wipers. It is obvious that putting up umbrellas causes windshield wipers to activate.

Your concerns are not childish, everything else you say is unhelpful. Plus, the kernel mailing list quote is out of context and ruined the point of your entire post. Are you sure that a child is not suggesting responses for you?

jalu

#13 Post by jalu »

well,well,well.
my doctors and therapriests and what not, the whole shebang, they allways tell me:
"give the child in you a chance"
i think they ran out of better ideas /have given up the hope on me. And me thinks: if only i would give the adult this chance too
(, as if there would be one).
:lol:

btw: i installed the liquorix, which version ever, and it went fine.

damentz

#14 Post by damentz »

Penguin Skinner wrote:Thanks for your efforts, damentz!
Thanks to you for also trying it :D

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#15 Post by Lavene »

Soul Singin': What the hell? If you don't want to install the kernel then just don't install the kernel. I'm pretty sure that people are able to decide for them self whether or not they want to 'take the risk' with this kernel considering the OP clearly says it's for Sid.

Your attack is both out of line and off topic.

sir fer

#16 Post by sir fer »

After that stoush I just had to try it.

Very nice work damentz. 8)

Soul Singin'

#17 Post by Soul Singin' »

sir fer wrote:After that stoush I just had to try it.
Do you realize that the "stoush" was about Con Kolivas' BFS scheduler? Do you realize that the version that you tried does NOT use the BFS scheduler? All you tried was a collection of patches to the standard kernel.

I do not object to the distribution of a kernel with an untested scheduler, so long as the user is warned that the scheduler is untested.

Damentz did not provide any such warnings however. Instead he claimed that:
damentz wrote: BFS is very stable
Such statements are completely irresponsible and I strongly object to his actions.

sir fer

#18 Post by sir fer »

Settle petal, yes I realise all that...

It was the first i'd even heard of the liquorix kernel so I would have tried it no matter what

thanks for the link re:BFS tho

dbbolton

#19 Post by dbbolton »

I tried this kernel the other day. One thing I didn't understand: I added a deb-src line and downloaded the source so could change the arch and remove some crap that I knew I wouldn't need and didn't want to have loaded (ipv6, bluetooth, webcam driver, etc), and menuconfig showed the timer frequency at 250 MHz.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

damentz

#20 Post by damentz »

dbbolton wrote:I tried this kernel the other day. One thing I didn't understand: I added a deb-src line and downloaded the source so could change the arch and remove some crap that I knew I wouldn't need and didn't want to have loaded (ipv6, bluetooth, webcam driver, etc), and menuconfig showed the timer frequency at 250 MHz.
The timer is set to 864hz, you didn't apply the patch set to your standard kernel in order to have access to the hundreds of extra kernel options you can fiddle with :)

I created a sources folder at http://liquorix.net/sources . You can check the raw configuration and you should get identical results compared with this:

Code: Select all

$ cat /boot/config-2.6.31-0.dmz.8-liquorix-amd64 | grep CONFIG_HZ
# CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_108 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_144 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_216 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_432 is not set
CONFIG_HZ_864=y
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
CONFIG_HZ=864
Last edited by damentz on 2009-09-22 01:56, edited 1 time in total.