Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tips from our Members

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Absent Minded

Tips from our Members

#1 Post by Absent Minded »

I would like to take a moment to open this forum up to our members who would like to make some useful suggestions. To our new Members please feel free to brows this thread and pick up some tips from our more experienced Members. Please do not post questions in this thread. This thread is ONLY for suggestions/tips and tricks that you have thought of that may be of some use to someone else.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

julian67

Re: Tips from our Members

#2 Post by julian67 »

rtfm

could be a joke, could be a warning from history.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

ComputerBob

#3 Post by ComputerBob »

Please clarify - how does this forum thread relate to the existing Docs, Howtos, Tips & Tricks forum? Should new tips and tricks be posted in both places?
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

Absent Minded

#4 Post by Absent Minded »

This is only specific to things that new members would find useful, common questions they ask ect.

Please do not post questions in this thread. You are welcome to PM me if you have other questions regarding this thread.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

kabniel

#5 Post by kabniel »

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
There's lots of useful bits of info there, like the awesome aptitude regex formula cheatsheet

edbarx

#6 Post by edbarx »

The minimum number of skills and concepts required to run and maintain Debian.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

penpen

#7 Post by penpen »

debian != ubuntu - this applies, right?

Typing in really long paragraphs without breaking up your sentences does not make your post easy to read. Try to break up your thoughts into paragraphs, it will make communicating the issues you are having a lot easier. As a guideline, you might consider the following:
  • 1. A couple sentences describing what you are trying to do.
    2. A couple sentences describing what happens when you try to do it.
    3. A couple sentences describing the kind of troubleshooting you have already done.
Use the formatting tools if you think it will help. The more thought you put into your cry for help, the more likely you will be to get a useful response.

bugsbunny

#8 Post by bugsbunny »

Bro.Tiag

#9 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Some additional ones as well.

Linux is Not Windows.
Debian sid FAQ
And every RDU's fav!
What is a "Real" Debian User. by the late rickh

Cheers

julian67

#10 Post by julian67 »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
Some additional ones as well.

Linux is Not Windows.
Debian sid FAQ
And every RDU's fav!
What is a "Real" Debian User. by the late rickh

Cheers
I think rickh's "Real Debian User" post is fairly horrible. The part he quotes from Martin Krafft is pretty good
You should run Debian if:
- You are an experienced user and know what you want.
- You want to efficiently manage an OS for a controlled environment with a finite set of requirements.
- You prefer stability to the bleeding edge.
- You need a secure system rather than one with the latest bells and whistles.
- You want to get down to the core of Linux.
- You have many friends running Debian.
- You are willing to invest some time and work now for later ease of maintenance.
- You are a perfectionist and a purist.
- You are socially sensitive with respect to freedom of software.
- You are curious to know about Debian, and do not mind climbing the Debian learning curve.
- You are curious about the Debian community, and what joins thousands of people to a common goal.
- You want to use Debian for whatever reason, and you are self-confident about that desire.

You should probably choose something else if:
- You are new to Unix.
- You need to use top-of-the-line hardware.
- You want to run Debian because "it is cool."
- You want a working system and are unwilling to figure out how it works.
(If you are looking for something that "just works," try one of the Debian derivatives.)
but some of his own ideas are not reasonable and are more to do with his personal preferences/situation.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

nadir

#11 Post by nadir »

rickhs post
think rickh's "Real Debian User" post is fairly horrible.
huh? especially as a read for newbies (and not as a read bout the *real* debian user) i would say its quite usefull:
social contract, package-management including minimal install, branches and sources-list, the root-thing including other security issues and the never-ending wisdom of google seem to sum up a good starting point quite well.
---
the beginners who have fallen asleep during all that docus, wikis and man-pages might wanna have a look at E.Raymond:
http://catb.org/jargon/
http://catb.org/~esr/
---
and -perhaps- take a minute to think about the following:
Access to computers -- and anything which might teach you something about the way the world works -- should be unlimited and total. Always yield to the Hands-On imperative.

All information should be free.

Mistrust Authority. Promote Decentralization.

Hackers should be judged by their hacking, not bogus criteria such as degrees, age, race, or position.

You can create art and beauty on a computer.

Computers can change your life for the better.
which i found over here:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_f ... urces.html
---
if someone is giving you the business just post the following part from "how to ask questions the smart way":
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id383614
---
if you dont like the man-pages from a terminal check if this works better for you:
http://linux.die.net/man/
---
don`t assume the one who answers knows more than you do :D
(that is: think about it, check it within your possibilities and wait if another user will correct him/her)
at least you are the one who has got to live with what will happen.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

kman

#12 Post by kman »

I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to linux but when i try to convince people to try a linux distro , i tell them that if they like mac then they would be more comfortable with gnome and if you are a windows familiar person you would be more comfortable with kde3 (xp like) and kde4 ( vista or windows 7 like). I prefer kde but also like gnome ok, especially if it comes down to having to use a MS or Apple product. i love Linux ( Debian base mostly) and hope to never go back to the dark side.
Its been a big learning curve for this 52 year old but Living without Windows and Loving linux for 3 years now.

Paulfocused

#13 Post by Paulfocused »

kman wrote:I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to linux but when i try to convince people to try a linux distro , i tell them that if they like mac then they would be more comfortable with gnome and if you are a windows familiar person you would be more comfortable with kde3 (xp like) and kde4 ( vista or windows 7 like). I prefer kde but also like gnome ok, especially if it comes down to having to use a MS or Apple product. i love Linux ( Debian base mostly) and hope to never go back to the dark side.
I'm sorry but GNOME and KDE act completely different than Mac/Windows :lol: . It's better to tell them that GNU/Linux is totally different (rather than relating to M$/Mac); even include a short description of what it is about (especially freedom). Also tell them how GNU/Linux allows them to do everything they can do with M$/Mac except with more freedom. That way they don't have that ignorant mentality of seeing GNU/Linux as only a free Windows/Mac replacement. They should see it as something new, powerful, and independent from Windows/Mac. What got me really interested in the first days of my GNU/Linux usage was that it was something totally different and was composed of FOSS. I had freedom to do with it as I pleased, and I could become part of the whole movement firsthand. If you tell someone about GNU/Linux in that aspect and they become genuinely interested, then that is a person who will stick with GNU/Linux. That is a person whom you should assist with whatever they need, because they will try to get GNU/Linux up and running on their machine. They will want to 'become one of us', just as I did back in my newbie days with Fedora 8) . Now I never look back, and it is all because GNU/Linux distro's are 'free software/FOSS', not a free OS & DE that "seems like M$/Mac". Otherwise GNU/Linux would not be nearly as valuable as it is. I have the money for a Mac, but to me GNU/Linux is much more valuable. It's flexible, FOSS, community-driven (for the most part), secure, and it loves me back. :mrgreen:
I am root!!

mdevour

#14 Post by mdevour »

Paulfocused wrote:
kman wrote:... when i try to convince people to try a linux distro , i tell them that if they like mac then they would be more comfortable with gnome and if you are a windows familiar person you would be more comfortable with kde3 (xp like) and kde4 ( vista or windows 7 like)...
I'm sorry but GNOME and KDE act completely different than Mac/Windows :lol: . It's better to tell them that GNU/Linux is totally different ... [free, etc...]
You're right, Paul, there are significant differences, but kman's point is correct from the perspective of the question most newbies ask sooner or later; gnome or KDE?

Letting them know that such varied options are available can be a good part of introducing them to the flexible power of gnu/linux.

Mike D.

Paulfocused

#15 Post by Paulfocused »

mdevour wrote:
Paulfocused wrote:
kman wrote:... when i try to convince people to try a linux distro , i tell them that if they like mac then they would be more comfortable with gnome and if you are a windows familiar person you would be more comfortable with kde3 (xp like) and kde4 ( vista or windows 7 like)...
I'm sorry but GNOME and KDE act completely different than Mac/Windows :lol: . It's better to tell them that GNU/Linux is totally different ... [free, etc...]
You're right, Paul, there are significant differences, but kman's point is correct from the perspective of the question most newbies ask sooner or later; gnome or KDE?

Letting them know that such varied options are available can be a good part of introducing them to the flexible power of gnu/linux.

Mike D.
I understand that, I just wanted to emphasize on how it is about freedom (and of course DE choices). I see a lot of complete noobs looking at GNU/Linux and their DE's from the wrong perspective. What I typically tell the newbies is that GNOME is a simplistic and stable DE while KDE is more focused on features and advancing the codebase/interface (such as the quick move to KDE4). I also give a short description as well, and by then they are able to make an informed decision with confidence. :) I suppose I freaked out over nothing though, but I just wanted to clarify that M$/Mac shouldn't be used to compared with GNU/Linux. Simply because new users may misunderstand and expect an M$/Mac free-clone. Many of them miss the point of that famous "Linux is not Windows" article.
I am root!!

mdevour

#16 Post by mdevour »

Paulfocused wrote:I just wanted to clarify that M$/Mac shouldn't be used to compared with GNU/Linux. Simply because new users may misunderstand and expect an M$/Mac free-clone. Many of them miss the point of that famous "Linux is not Windows" article.
Indeed, you're right. Any "comparison" of Linux with Windows/Mac should emphasize that understanding.

Mike D.

hazel

#17 Post by hazel »

kman wrote:I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to linux but when i try to convince people to try a linux distro , i tell them that if they like mac then they would be more comfortable with gnome and if you are a windows familiar person you would be more comfortable with kde3 (xp like) and kde4 ( vista or windows 7 like).
I would rather tell beginners that, since the graphical side of Linux is an add-on to the basic system, they can choose what kind of desktop they want. The fundamental choice is between desktop environments (big, tightly integrated, resource-hungry, and coming with a full suite of applications with a common look and feel) or window managers (lean, mean, fast, but requiring you (or more positively encouraging you) to assemble your own personal collection of favourite apps). I think that corresponds to a basic temperamental difference in users.

If they decide to go the DE route, then there are big DEs (gnome, KDE), medium-size (xfce) and small ones (lxde). But even the smallest requires more resources than a simple window manager on its own. Only those who definitely want a big modern desktop environment with plenty of eye-candy need to choose between gnome and KDE.

lurch

#18 Post by lurch »

Hi
I was having great problems with Compiz and Squeeze.
I found the post craigevil and his Compiz wiki link cured my problem.
thank you craigevil
lurch
Made up as i went along
ASRock 939A8X-M
AMD Opteron 175 64 bit
Geforce 7800 GS
2Gb memory

vrkalak

#19 Post by vrkalak »

Tip:
1. Just because a distro is Debian-based, does not it compatible with Debian.
2. Don't try to load every repository you find into Debian (testing)

Makes your comp 'explode' :mrgreen:

refracta

#20 Post by refracta »

I guess this is a tip

http://screenshots.debian.net/ - see what a program looks like before you install

Might be a good idea for these tips to be quoted in the first post so they can be easily found without having to go through the whole thread.