Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tips from our Members

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Atomic-Fanboy

Re: Tips from our Members

#91 Post by Atomic-Fanboy »

Practice installing it first.

Install Debian as a guest OS in a virtual machine.
Play with it and mess around a bit.
Once you know exactly how to go and install it to a real hard drive parition, do so.
If you're not sure or confident, then you need to mess around more.

Read : Debian-Reference, Debian-Handbook, Debian Newbie's Guide, Debian-Wiki and anything else Linux or Debian related.

Have fun!
Intel B820 (Dualcore Celeron Mobile 1700MHz) - 8GB RAM
Debian 7.1 Openbox / Win7

manishthatte

#92 Post by manishthatte »

Here is a tip to install google chrome:

1) Download package filenamechrome.deb to ur comp

2) open terminal

3) login to ur sudo

4) type: sudo dpkg -i <location>filenamechrome.deb

5) type: sudo apt-get -f install

6) Voila...find google chrome in Applications > Internet
Taking baby steps in Debian

JTunn

#93 Post by JTunn »

manishthatte wrote:Here is a tip to install google chrome:

1) Download package filenamechrome.deb to ur comp

2) open terminal

3) login to ur sudo

4) type: sudo dpkg -i <location>filenamechrome.deb

5) type: sudo apt-get -f install

6) Voila...find google chrome in Applications > Internet
Works like a charm, cheers! :wink:

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#94 Post by Bloom »

Determining your WAN ip address from the terminal (or in a bash script)

1. Using external means

Code: Select all

curl ident.me ; echo
curl http://checkip.amazonaws.com ; echo
Either of these two work fast. If you haven't got curl and you don't want to or can't install is, you can also use 'wget -O - -q' instead of 'curl -s'.

This one uses dig and the resolver of OpenDNS:

dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com
The next one is also very fast and uses icanhazip.com but only with commands built-in to every Linux:

exec 3<> /dev/tcp/icanhazip.com/80 && # open connection
  echo 'GET /' >&3 &&                   # send http 0.9 request
  read -u 3 && echo $REPLY &&           # read response
  exec 3>&-                             # close fd
2. By internal means

Many internet home routers for cable or DSL show a status page with the WAN ip address which doesn't require a login. If so, you can get your WAN ip address from your router.

This is an example for DDWRT:

curl -s router | grep "ipinfo" | awk -v FS="(IP: |</span)" '{print $2}'
or if a login is needed:

curl -s -u username:password router | grep "ipinfo" | awk -v FS="(IP: |</span)" '{print $2}'
Replace 'router' with the hostname or LAN ip address of your router.
Replace username and password by the username and password needed to login to the webinterface of your router.

Many Europeans (including me) have an AVM Fritz1Box router. That one yields the WAN ip address as well, but it's a little more complicated:

curl -s "http://router.:49000/igdupnp/control/WANIPConn1" -H "Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"" -H "SoapAction:urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1#GetExternalIPAddress" -d "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <s:Envelope s:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/' xmlns:s='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'> <s:Body> <u:GetExternalIPAddress xmlns:u='urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1' /> </s:Body> </s:Envelope>" |grep -Eo '\<[[:digit:]]{1,3}(\.[[:digit:]]{1,3}){3}\>'
Replace 'router.' with the actual hostname or LAN ip address of your Fritz!Box router.
(source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/95910/c ... -public-ip)

jmgibson1981

#95 Post by jmgibson1981 »

1 - Check the date on any guides you may follow. When one follows a guide that is 10+ years out of date and it doesn't work there isn't much we can do about it. Make sure you find the most current information you can before doing anything and posting about it failing. Things change.

2 - Stop following those guides about sizing partitions. Enough with the "my /boot is full" nonsense. If you need special sizing for such things you wouldn't need the guide to tell you to do it. 99.9% of the time all in one partition or just / with a separate /home or /data will suffice for the average user.

3 - If you want to compile from random source give it a unique prefix. In my case for Kodi I build from source and I put the entire thing in /opt/kodimatrix. I add /opt/kodimatrix/bin to my PATH and it works well. No reason to run

make install
without a dedicated prefix as it can overwrite other files unintentionally. Why risk breaking something if you don't have to.

4 - Don't be a zealot. Everyone has their own reasons or uses for linux and open source in general. Not everyone uses it based on a philosophical reason. Respect that. To each their own. Don't be an ass to people trying to help you just because they may choose to use or suggest a non free package or something else you may have a grievance against for some reason. (goes for anywhere, not just the Debian forums)

5 - Calculated risk is part of the game regardless of operating system or free / non free software. Everyone has a price regardless of what they associate themselves with. If you can't read the code yourself you can't be 100% certain of what it is. Nothing is truly safe. Be aware of that. There are no guarantees in either direction.

*EDIT*

Stability Issues!

Check your airflow. I know that sounds like something one shouldn't have to worry about but I'd been having all sorts of random things pop up on my desktop. I was going to build a custom case so I stripped the parts out of it and they are mounted just on a piece of plywood at the moment. Everything is hooked up and working. I'm using it right now, my noise level and temps are half what they used to be in the case. I haven't seen an error of any kind since doing this. I'd imagine I'd get better performance on Windows as well. Point being it isn't always going to be Linux's fault if you have random things going on. Temps matter.