Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tips from our Members

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Absent Minded

Re: Tips from our Members

#61 Post by Absent Minded »

AMLJ wrote:Aptitude is a more powerful front-end to apt-get, that's why I recommend using it...

--aptitude offers easy access to all versions of a package.

--aptitude makes it easy to keep track of obsolete software by listing it under "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages".

--
aptitude includes a fairly powerful system for searching particular packages and limiting the package display. Users familiar with mutt will pick up quickly, as mutt was the inspiration for the expression syntax.

--aptitude can be used to install the predefined tasks available.

--
aptitude in full screen mode has su functionality embedded and can be run by a normal user. It will call su (and ask for the root password, if any) when you really need administrative privileges.

MeanDean wrote:forget them both....use wajig
Could you please tell me the advantages. I guess I didn't see it in the documentation I read sometime ago, about Debian package management. Maybe I just missed that part.
Thanks in advance.
Not that this thread is the place for discussion on it but it was not that you recommend using aptitude that I have a problem with. It is the fact that you made it appear wrong that many of our users use apt-get instead. I myself recommend aptitude but I refuse to discount anyone who prefers to use apt-get instead. They are both good tools and when one knows and understands the benifits and limatations of both, there is no reason it is wrong for someone to use either tool. If you would like to discus this further, I ask that you would create another thread to do so. Send me a PM with it's address if you like and I will be happy to partisapate in it. This thread is intended to solely be used for tips to our new members and not for a general discussion of things. Again, the only reason I have replied is because you chose to be disrespectful of our members that use apt-get by implying that they are somehow committing an attrosity by doing so. While I support your right to voice your opinion here, I will not tollerate disrespecting others and "their" rights. Intended or not you did this in how you chose to word things. If it wasn't intended, please be more thoughtful of others when posting.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

AMLJ

#62 Post by AMLJ »

Absent Minded wrote:
AMLJ wrote:Aptitude is a more powerful front-end to apt-get, that's why I recommend using it...

--aptitude offers easy access to all versions of a package.

--aptitude makes it easy to keep track of obsolete software by listing it under "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages".

--
aptitude includes a fairly powerful system for searching particular packages and limiting the package display. Users familiar with mutt will pick up quickly, as mutt was the inspiration for the expression syntax.

--aptitude can be used to install the predefined tasks available.

--
aptitude in full screen mode has su functionality embedded and can be run by a normal user. It will call su (and ask for the root password, if any) when you really need administrative privileges.

MeanDean wrote:forget them both....use wajig
Could you please tell me the advantages. I guess I didn't see it in the documentation I read sometime ago, about Debian package management. Maybe I just missed that part.
Thanks in advance.
Not that this thread is the place for discussion on it but it was not that you recommend using aptitude that I have a problem with. It is the fact that you made it appear wrong that many of our users use apt-get instead. I myself recommend aptitude but I refuse to discount anyone who prefers to use apt-get instead. They are both good tools and when one knows and understands the benifits and limatations of both, there is no reason it is wrong for someone to use either tool. If you would like to discus this further, I ask that you would create another thread to do so. Send me a PM with it's address if you like and I will be happy to partisapate in it. This thread is intended to solely be used for tips to our new members and not for a general discussion of things. Again, the only reason I have replied is because you chose to be disrespectful of our members that use apt-get by implying that they are somehow committing an attrosity by doing so. While I support your right to voice your opinion here, I will not tollerate disrespecting others and "their" rights. Intended or not you did this in how you chose to word things. If it wasn't intended, please be more thoughtful of others when posting.
OK! I didn't mean to be disrespectful at all, sorry if it appeared that way. It was more of a suggestion to new users, so that they'd use the recommended tool from the beginning. Again sorry if it looked like I don't respect apt-get users. Don't take everything so serious dude. :lol:

I just asked Dean that question because I wanted to know the advantages. I had not used it and he had, so I wanted to know why he thinks that's better. I respect everyone!
I guess Dean knows I wasn't trying to be disrespectful at all, so I'm kinda writing this for you AM. :)
AMLJ**0-1-47

Lou

#63 Post by Lou »

AMLJ wrote:Oh, another tip: :mrgreen:

I'm tired of seeing our experienced users use apt-get, and noobs will also learn from them and that's not good.
Use aptitude!!! 8)
After reading MeanDean mention of wajig, i installed it and update/dist-upgraded and it upgraded things apt-get hasn't touched. Good tip, Dean!
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

AMLJ

#64 Post by AMLJ »

Lou wrote:
AMLJ wrote:Oh, another tip: :mrgreen:

I'm tired of seeing our experienced users use apt-get, and noobs will also learn from them and that's not good.
Use aptitude!!! 8)
After reading MeanDean mention of wajig, i installed it and update/dist-upgraded and it upgraded things apt-get hasn't touched. Good tip, Dean!
Hmm... Interesting. I guess I'll try that. Thanks!
AMLJ**0-1-47

AMLJ

#65 Post by AMLJ »

For anyone interested in discussing Package Management Tools in Debian:

Please visit this link.
AMLJ**0-1-47

jjmac

#66 Post by jjmac »

Howdy All,

This thread drifts off-topic and i'm not sure if it should be an interactive thread as well. More of a 'what you need to do/get right' before you post kind of thing.

The suggestions on 'how to post' are what would be the most useful here. Personally i find it quite perplexing just trying to figure out what a person is trying to say in some of the help requests. And the implied disrespect that goes with the lack of feed back from those threads ... well, it just seems to add up to a waist of time, if not very discouraging.

Help requesters must realise that a responder is not psychic --- they need the poster to communicate clearly in order to form an appropriate response. And ... if i may say :), a response _is_ _not_ a right, it's an allowance. :wink:

Tip #357 -=- back-brain embolisms can get very boring after awhile.

jm
http://counter.li.org

-=- The FVWM wm -=- http://www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...

Marcel S

#67 Post by Marcel S »

transontung90 wrote:
AMLJ wrote:For anyone interested in discussing Package Management Tools in Debian:

Please visit this link.
this link die isnt it ? , everytime i try , it cant open
No problem here.

Gr. Marcel
Desktop: Intel Core i5-4590S | Debian Jessie / XFCE4 | LinuxMint / Cinnamon
Netbook: Samsung NF310 | Windows 7 Starter | Debian Squeeze / GNOME2
Server: QNAP TS-110 | QNAP TS-251A
Printer: Brother DCP-J4120DW

AMLJ

#68 Post by AMLJ »

transontung90 wrote:
AMLJ wrote:For anyone interested in discussing Package Management Tools in Debian:

Please visit this link.
this link die isnt it ? , everytime i try , it cant open

zack1

Re: Tips from our Members (original entry removed)

#69 Post by zack1 »

As I browsed more this thread I realized that I had indeed misunderstood its purpose so I removed the post previously in this place. Thanks for pointing it out for me. Sorry for any trouble
-Zack1
Last edited by zack1 on 2011-02-05 01:34, edited 2 times in total.

jjmac

#70 Post by jjmac »

Is the above spam ?

jm
http://counter.li.org

-=- The FVWM wm -=- http://www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...

zack1

#71 Post by zack1 »

jjmac wrote:Is the above spam ?

jm
Hey.

No it is not a spam and by no means it was never meant as such. I thought it would be a good thing to list some tips I have learned over the years when using Debian... of course it is a long list and it seems that I may have misunderstood the purpose of this section where I post it. If this has happened I will of course remove my previous entry. Sorry it took so long to reply. My computer suffered a total hard disk failure recently and it slowed me down a bit.

Best regards
-Zack

Seano

#72 Post by Seano »

Make sure to provide a full description of your hardware, the brand, model, RAM, HDD, and your Internet connection particulars, as well as the precise version of Debian and the packages/files pertaining to the problem, but make sure to use very simple English so you don't confuse the experts. :lol:

Seano

#73 Post by Seano »

Also, don't jump out the window nor shed too any tears. There's always Fedora if the road gets too tough here.

---o0o---
Seriously,l you can go a long way with Linux, with just a few fundamentals, like:
binutils, gcc, glibc, et al.

Find a good source and a good version and stick to it, but once you have the basics squashed into a reliable filesystem, you can be such a shape-shifter - one day Debian, next day Redhat, Sundays total mystery distro, and back on Monday for Slackware. You can do Linux any colour you like, like changing your underpants. as long as you keep your /home directory on a separate partition. The distros are easy, but your data is priceless.

sossego

#74 Post by sossego »

If you have a system with low specifications or want more processing power towards applications rather than X or a window manager you can do the following.

Copy xinitrc from /etc/X11/xinit:

Code: Select all

cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc $HOME/.xinitrc
and adjust it to use another smaller window manager such as blackbox.
Disable gdm or kdm. For gdm(3) go to System->Administration->Services and unmark gdm(3). You can also unmark kdm from here.
Reboot and use xinit from the command line.

Code: Select all

login: $USERNAME
password: 
$ xinit
It should start. You can also run kde, gnome, or what you want from here.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

ComputerBob

#75 Post by ComputerBob »

I hope that someone in these forums' leadership is keeping track of how many new, one-message "members" are adding short, pointless comments to this old and popular thread.

They look to me like spammers' placeholder messages, waiting for the spammers to come back and add spam hyperlinks to them later.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

eric1959

#76 Post by eric1959 »

ComputerBob wrote:I hope that someone in these forums' leadership is keeping track of how many new, one-message "members" are adding short, pointless comments to this old and popular thread.

They look to me like spammers' placeholder messages, waiting for the spammers to come back and add spam hyperlinks to them later.
I doubt any of the admins care.....Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just have a look at the profiles of these so called new members and registered users online, so many are obvious spammers.
Debian Bits And Snips
Squeeze, Gnome, amd64, Intel Core i3-530, Geforce GT330

ComputerBob

#77 Post by ComputerBob »

I don't have time to check whether the one-message, new users' profiles were deleted, but someone just deleted all of those one-message placeholders -- just a few minutes after I posted my message about them, above.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

eric1959

#78 Post by eric1959 »

ComputerBob wrote:I don't have time to check whether the one-message, new users' profiles were deleted, but someone just deleted all of those one-message placeholders -- just a few minutes after I posted my message about them, above.
That's the spam hunter's job, but he can't nuke these accounts....why not if I may ask ? This way it is like dweilen met de kraan open. :wink:
Debian Bits And Snips

ivanovnegro

#79 Post by ivanovnegro »

I have to say at least that one of the mods just deleted two spammers I reported even if I reported more. I also do not know what is happening ultimateley, it seems we recieve only spammers as new members. Something really has to be done against this. This thread is one of the many affected by spam posts. Almost all threads I am subscribed to are invaded also by spammers. The last spammer even duplicated my posting like he/she was helping others of course with a signature pointing to advertisement.

eric1959

#80 Post by eric1959 »

The last spammer even duplicated my posting like he/she was helping others of course with a signature pointing to advertisement.
Shoot the dirty bastards !
Debian Bits And Snips