Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Tips from our Members

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
secipolla

Re: Tips from our Members

#46 Post by secipolla »

Looks very similar to volwheel.

bmc5311

#47 Post by bmc5311 »

it's better - i tried volwheel before i settled on kmix.

MeanDean

#48 Post by MeanDean »

ehhh....I just stick a shortcut to my favorite mixer on my panel

dbbolton

#49 Post by dbbolton »

MeanDean wrote:ehhh....I just stick a shortcut to my favorite mixer on my panel
The nerve.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

bmc5311

#50 Post by bmc5311 »

MeanDean wrote:ehhh....I just stick a shortcut to my favorite mixer on my panel
excellent idea, however can't do that with tint2. and i kinda dig using the scroll wheel.. :)

MeanDean

#51 Post by MeanDean »

bmc5311 wrote: excellent idea, however can't do that with tint2. and i kinda dig using the scroll wheel.. :)
so why are you using tint2? :wink:

okay...so...
a menu shortcut to your favorite mixer
a keyboard shortcut to your favorite mixer
a keyboard shortcut to raise the volume 5% along with a keyboard shortcut to lower the volume 5%

bmc5311

#52 Post by bmc5311 »

MeanDean wrote:
bmc5311 wrote: excellent idea, however can't do that with tint2. and i kinda dig using the scroll wheel.. :)
so why are you using tint2? :wink:

okay...so...
a menu shortcut to your favorite mixer
a keyboard shortcut to your favorite mixer
a keyboard shortcut to raise the volume 5% along with a keyboard shortcut to lower the volume 5%

tint2 seems to work best (two monitors and i only want a panel on one of them) for me
- fbpanel and every other one i tried except gnome panel (and i've been slowly but surly de-gnomeifing my system) want to stretch across both monitors
already have a menu shortcut, but can't one click mute or use the scroll
did the shortcut key too - ummm, can't remember what i set it to, or pretty much any other shortcut i set up... :lol: they say memory is the 2nd thing to go....

do you use openbox?

MeanDean

#53 Post by MeanDean »

nah...why use openbox when icewm does so much more and uses less memory :wink:

although I often find myself using e17...it has a volume panel gadget

edit - oops....didnt notice what section/thread I was in....excuse the chit-chat

AMLJ

#54 Post by AMLJ »

Oh, another tip: :mrgreen:

I'm tired of seeing our experienced users use apt-get, and noobs will also learn from them and that's not good.
Use aptitude!!! 8)
AMLJ**0-1-47

Absent Minded

#55 Post by Absent Minded »

AMLJ wrote:Oh, another tip: :mrgreen:

I'm tired of seeing our experienced users use apt-get, and noobs will also learn from them and that's not good.
Use aptitude!!! 8)
While Debian it's self recomends aptitude because of it's ability to handle dependancies better. Both tools have their uses and are good tools. There is nothing wrong with one using apt-get as long as they are aware of it's abilities and limatations. The same can be said of using Synaptic (I believe a GUI front end to apt-get).
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

craigevil

#56 Post by craigevil »

Use aptitude!!! 8)

apt-get forever!!!

There is absolutely no reason to not use apt-get. There is a ton of Debian documentation that refers to apt-get. For example:
The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ - Basics of the Debian package management system
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html
7.13 How do I install a source package?

Debian source packages can't actually be "installed", they are just unpacked in whatever directory you want to build the binary packages they produce.

Source packages are distributed on most of the same mirrors where you can obtain the binary packages. If you set up your APT's sources.list(5) to include the appropriate "deb-src" lines, you'll be able to easily download any source packages by running

apt-get source foo

To help you in actually building the source package, Debian source package provide the so-called build-dependencies mechanism. This means that the source package maintainer keeps a list of other packages that are required to build their package. To see how this is useful, run

apt-get build-dep foo

before building the source.
7.14 How do I build binary packages from a source package?

The preferred way to do this is by using various wrapper tools. We'll show how it's done using the devscripts tools. Install this package if you haven't done so already.

Now, first get the source package:

apt-get source foo

and change to the source tree:

cd foo-*

Then install needed build-dependencies (if any):

sudo apt-get build-dep foo
The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ - The Debian package management tools
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.en.html
8.1.2 APT

APT is the Advanced Package Tool and provides the apt-get program. apt-get provides a simple way to retrieve and install packages from multiple sources using the command line. Unlike dpkg, apt-get does not understand .deb files, it works with the packages proper name and can only install .deb archives from a source specified in /etc/apt/sources.list. apt-get will call dpkg directly after downloading the .deb archives[5] from the configured sources.

Some common ways to use apt-get are: *

To update the list of package known by your system, you can run:

apt-get update

(you should execute this regularly to update your package lists)

To upgrade all the packages on your system (without installing extra packages or removing packages), run:

apt-get upgrade

To install the foo package and all its dependencies, run:

apt-get install foo

To remove the foo package from your system, run:

apt-get remove foo

To remove the foo package and its configuration files from your system, run:

apt-get --purge remove foo

To upgrade all the packages on your system, and, if needed for a package upgrade, installing extra packages or removing packages, run:

apt-get dist-upgrade

(The command upgrade keeps a package at its installed obsolete version if upgrading would need an extra package to be installed, for a new dependency to be satisfied. The dist-upgrade command is less conservative.)

Note that you must be logged in as root to perform any commands that modify the system packages.

Note that apt-get now installs recommended packages as default and is the preferred program for package management from console to perform system installation and major system upgrades for its robustness.

The apt tool suite also includes the apt-cache tool to query the package lists. You can use it to find packages providing specific functionality through simple text or regular expression queries and through queries of dependencies in the package management system. Some common ways to use apt-cache are:

To find packages whose description contain word:

apt-cache search word *

To print the detailed information of a package:

apt-cache show package *

To print the packages a given package depends on:

apt-cache depends package *

To print detailed information of the versions available for a package and the packages that reverse-depends on it:

apt-cache showpkg package

For more information, install the apt package and read apt-get(8), sources.list(5) and install the apt-doc package and read /usr/share/doc/apt-doc/guide.html/index.html.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

MeanDean

#57 Post by MeanDean »

forget them both....use wajig

AMLJ

#58 Post by AMLJ »

Aptitude is a more powerful front-end to apt-get, that's why I recommend using it...

--aptitude offers easy access to all versions of a package.

--aptitude makes it easy to keep track of obsolete software by listing it under "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages".

--
aptitude includes a fairly powerful system for searching particular packages and limiting the package display. Users familiar with mutt will pick up quickly, as mutt was the inspiration for the expression syntax.

--aptitude can be used to install the predefined tasks available.

--
aptitude in full screen mode has su functionality embedded and can be run by a normal user. It will call su (and ask for the root password, if any) when you really need administrative privileges.

MeanDean wrote:forget them both....use wajig
Could you please tell me the advantages. I guess I didn't see it in the documentation I read sometime ago, about Debian package management. Maybe I just missed that part.
Thanks in advance.
AMLJ**0-1-47

bmc5311

#59 Post by bmc5311 »

potayto - potahto
tomayto - tomahto
6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

Lou

#60 Post by Lou »

Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

Absent Minded

#61 Post by Absent Minded »

AMLJ wrote:Aptitude is a more powerful front-end to apt-get, that's why I recommend using it...

--aptitude makes it easy to keep track of obsolete software by listing it under "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages".

--
aptitude includes a fairly powerful system for searching particular packages and limiting the package display. Users familiar with mutt will pick up quickly, as mutt was the inspiration for the expression syntax.

--
aptitude in full screen mode has su functionality embedded and can be run by a normal user. It will call su (and ask for the root password, if any) when you really need administrative privileges.

Could you please tell me the advantages. I guess I didn't see it in the documentation I read sometime ago, about Debian package management. Maybe I just missed that part.
Thanks in advance.
Not that this thread is the place for discussion on it but it was not that you recommend using aptitude that I have a problem with. It is the fact that you made it appear wrong that many of our users use apt-get instead. I myself recommend aptitude but I refuse to discount anyone who prefers to use apt-get instead. They are both good tools and when one knows and understands the benifits and limatations of both, there is no reason it is wrong for someone to use either tool. If you would like to discus this further, I ask that you would create another thread to do so. Send me a PM with it's address if you like and I will be happy to partisapate in it. This thread is intended to solely be used for tips to our new members and not for a general discussion of things. Again, the only reason I have replied is because you chose to be disrespectful of our members that use apt-get by implying that they are somehow committing an attrosity by doing so. While I support your right to voice your opinion here, I will not tollerate disrespecting others and "their" rights. Intended or not you did this in how you chose to word things. If it wasn't intended, please be more thoughtful of others when posting.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

AMLJ

#62 Post by AMLJ »

Absent Minded wrote:
AMLJ wrote:Aptitude is a more powerful front-end to apt-get, that's why I recommend using it...

--

--

Thanks in advance.
Not that this thread is the place for discussion on it but it was not that you recommend using aptitude that I have a problem with. It is the fact that you made it appear wrong that many of our users use apt-get instead. I myself recommend aptitude but I refuse to discount anyone who prefers to use apt-get instead. They are both good tools and when one knows and understands the benifits and limatations of both, there is no reason it is wrong for someone to use either tool. If you would like to discus this further, I ask that you would create another thread to do so. Send me a PM with it's address if you like and I will be happy to partisapate in it. This thread is intended to solely be used for tips to our new members and not for a general discussion of things. Again, the only reason I have replied is because you chose to be disrespectful of our members that use apt-get by implying that they are somehow committing an attrosity by doing so. While I support your right to voice your opinion here, I will not tollerate disrespecting others and "their" rights. Intended or not you did this in how you chose to word things. If it wasn't intended, please be more thoughtful of others when posting.
OK! I didn't mean to be disrespectful at all, sorry if it appeared that way. It was more of a suggestion to new users, so that they'd use the recommended tool from the beginning. Again sorry if it looked like I don't respect apt-get users. Don't take everything so serious dude. :lol:

I just asked Dean that question because I wanted to know the advantages. I had not used it and he had, so I wanted to know why he thinks that's better. I respect everyone!
I guess Dean knows I wasn't trying to be disrespectful at all, so I'm kinda writing this for you AM. :)
AMLJ**0-1-47

Lou

#63 Post by Lou »

Use aptitude!!! 8)
After reading MeanDean mention of wajig, i installed it and update/dist-upgraded and it upgraded things apt-get hasn't touched. Good tip, Dean!
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

AMLJ

#64 Post by AMLJ »

Lou wrote:

Use aptitude!!! 8)
After reading MeanDean mention of wajig, i installed it and update/dist-upgraded and it upgraded things apt-get hasn't touched. Good tip, Dean!
Hmm... Interesting. I guess I'll try that. Thanks!
AMLJ**0-1-47

AMLJ

#65 Post by AMLJ »

For anyone interested in discussing Package Management Tools in Debian:

Please visit this link.
AMLJ**0-1-47