Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble shooting ALSA

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
sterconero

Re: Trouble shooting ALSA

#16 Post by sterconero »

craigevil wrote: This script will give a detailed output of the current alsa setup on your system.
Download this script alsa-info.sh save it as alsa-info.sh
To run and create the info file

Code: Select all

bash ./alsa-info.sh --no-upload <-- without this option it will upload to alsa-project.org
alsa-info.sh is no longer there.

I get 404 - Cannot find file

Can you please reupload it?

llivv

#17 Post by llivv »

In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

stevesr0

#18 Post by stevesr0 »

Have tried to get the internal microphone working on my Fujitsu T4220 convertible laptop since I purchased it three or four years ago. Running Debian Linux the past 2-3 years.

Have fussed with ALSA and read numerous webpages about configuring ALSA to do so.

(Have also heard that internal laptop microphones are problematic.)

The sound card is an Intel 9 series card.

Today, I took another look and saw this thread. Noticed the comment about configuring using the alsactl init command, and one respondent saying that it worked.

Tried it just now and for the first time, with no other adjustments, the internal microphone works.

I launched alsamixer and noted that it seemed to have fewer settings than before I issued the command. (On boot today, I realized that there is a long string of alsactl error messages about not finding files; not sure if that is part of the problem, or that my previous manipulations caused problems or that alsa can't find the files until after the system is fully booted up.)

Anyhow, thanks much craig(-notso-)evil, for the HOWTO.

I will see if the microphone works after rebooting and if not, if repeating the alsactl init command restores it to working order and if my memory allows, I will report back.

stevesr0

#19 Post by stevesr0 »

Addendum:

I am running Debian Wheezy (3.2-4 kernel) with ALSA 1.025.

Juniore45

#20 Post by Juniore45 »

Thanks for your tips. They are very useful for me.

konfiguros

#21 Post by konfiguros »

that worked for me too, thx

patrick013

#22 Post by patrick013 »

Debian User Forums • View topic - alsaplayer has no stream

The terminal says all modules are loaded but no joy.

Something to do with the playlist or stream file sent and the
characters within it ?

I've had alsaplayer work in the past but not today.

greg9

#23 Post by greg9 »

@craigevil

Section (1) Find out if you are already a member of the audio and video groups, execute as local user. also run the groups command to check if adding has landed.

groups
Section (12) has
options snd-hda-intel model=YOUR_MODEL
with a good command to find codec chip name. Alas codec chip names can be misleading IMHO. So company name like Realtek may be result but it using the intel sound modules.

I suggest it does not hurt, for members to post as a local user result of

inxi -Axxx
which can be installed, if missing from free section of repo. Members need to be aware that the order of sound devices may differ from aplay -l as inxi looks at original order.

example

inxi -Axxx
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 26:00.1 chip ID: 1002:15de class ID: 0403 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 26:00.6 chip ID: 1022:15e3 class ID: 0403 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-8-amd64 
and I think members might like this link, which has further links at the top, but concens info on model=your-model stuff
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... index.html

your link below is stale
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller

(2) Most members, using laptops or onboard sound to speakers, 3.5 mm headphones and the like probably are like me and have HDMI as first sound device. In alsa that is called index=0 as alsa counts from zero not one.

So although I am risking adding a tip, I would suggest members consider swapping sound devices to get analog if that is what they want by adding a file with root powers called, ( it can be called anything.conf)
/etc/modprobe.d/index.conf. And assuming you have 2 intel devices example would be
options snd_hda_intel index=1
(3) Due to that, and I know craigevil has already mentioned the alsa-info.sh, but it does not hurt members asking for help to mention in addition to their other comments:

-Are they using a $HOME/.asoundrc
-Are they using an /etc/asoundrc
-Are they using a grub config to set sound or blacklist etc
-Are they using a /etc/modprobe.d file (and reveal its contents)
----examples might include blacklist modulename, index=model, or some other setting

seeker5528

#24 Post by seeker5528 »

After checking for correct modules and that the correct hardware is seen as card 0 shouldn't there be something about disabling pulseaudio to see if sound works without it, before getting into a long list of other steps?

Or is it assumed that people will have asked for help in the forums and got referred to this howto for the alsa part of the troubleshooting or found a different howto for pulseaudio?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by sunrat »

Topic is 11 years old from when Debian didn't have Pulseaudio. Necrobumping is discouraged.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

ticojohn

#26 Post by ticojohn »

sunrat wrote: 2021-09-29 00:28 Topic is 11 years old from when Debian didn't have Pulseaudio. Necrobumping is discouraged.
Hey @sunrat, I may have inadvertently given a thumbs down to you when responding to a post. I didn't mean to do it. :oops:
Hope you don't take offense. :mrgreen:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Post by sunrat »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-10-01 19:39
sunrat wrote: 2021-09-29 00:28 Topic is 11 years old from when Debian didn't have Pulseaudio. Necrobumping is discouraged.
Hey @sunrat, I may have inadvertently given a thumbs down to you when responding to a post. I didn't mean to do it. :oops:
Hope you don't take offense. :mrgreen:
I think thumbs down only appears after you have already given a thumbs up so it just removes it and sends it back to digital thumb heaven. No worries! :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!