Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Howto install Squeeze on Lenovo X100e with wire connection

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
uBaLd

Howto install Squeeze on Lenovo X100e with wire connection

#1 Post by uBaLd »

1- install Squeeze with usb key
2 - installe the Fan (build a new kernel)
3 - Install the Wifi
4 - Other

1- install Squeeze with usb key

Prepare a usbkey unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

install as usual with the wire connection.
ignore the demand for firmware file rt18168d-1.fw as it will be fix later with the installation of the Wifi.

When the grub-loader install make sure you install it on the disk and not on the usbkey.:

open a terminal Ctrl+F2

Code: Select all

ls /dev/sd*
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/
ls -l /mnt
umount /mnt/
and compare with the usb. Once you know on which device you have install your system on change the value to exemple :/dev/sdc

Once your Squeeze is install on the Lenovo X100e you can configure the Fan the wirless ...

2 - installe the Fan (build a new kernel)

There is a way to manage the fan more efficiently http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed The problem is the present kernel in Squeeze do not allow it the way it is build now. Solution Build a new kernel more recent. I use 2.6.35.3 !
An other way to control the fan is with fancontrol I made a Howto on this
Go to http://kernel.org/ download the kernel untar and build it:

As said by Rolling Stone install the dependency

sudo apt-get install kernel-package ncurses-dev bzip2 module-init-tools initramfs-tools procps fakeroot 
untar and make

tar -xf linux-2.6.35.3.tar.bz2
cd  linux-2.6.35.3
make
Make the configuration don't change any thing exit and save!

make menuconfig
Ounce it is done you'll see .config in the file !

Build the debian package

fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image --initrd
fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_headers 
Install it

cd ..
dpkg -i *2.6.35.3*.deb
To get thinkfan runing:

sudo echo 'options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1' >> /etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad_acpi.conf
sudo apt-get install thinkfan 
reboot chose 2.6.35.3 as your kernel:

edit the script in /etc/thinkfan.conf mine is :

sensor /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal (0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)

(0,	0,	40)
(1,	33,	45)
(2,	38,	50)
(3,	43,	54)
(4,	45,	55)
(5,	48,	56)
(6,	50,	67)
(7,	57,	500)
run :

sudo thinkfan
Once you know it run the way it should and you want it to start every boot without runing sudo thinkfan every time.

You can edit /etc/default/thinkfan and change START to yes To have thinkfan start at boot

# Should thinkfan be started automatically on boot?                                                                    
# Only say "yes" when you know what you are doing, have configured                                                     
# thinkfan correctly for *YOUR* machine and loaded thinkpad_acpi                                                       
# with fan_control=1 (if you have a ThinkPad).                                                                         
START=yes

# Additional startup parameters                                                                                        
DAEMON_ARGS="-q"

3- Install the Wifi

To install the driver from Realtek for the RTL8191SE wireless card. First download the driver.

Make sure you have the headers install

$ ls -l /lib/modules/2.6.35.3/
total 2384
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     36 31 jui 14:27 build -> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686/
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root   4096 20 jui 22:26 kernel
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 579867  2 aoû 11:27 modules.alias
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     38 21 jui 12:29 source -> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common
then

tar -xf rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0017.0507.2010.tar.gz
cd rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0017.0507.2010
make
sudo make install
edit /etc/network/interfaces as root so it it look like this (this will enable your cable to be seen by network-manager wen you plug it):

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
# allow-hotplug eth0
# iface eth0 inet dhcp
Tanks to Japser and debian wiki !!
reboot !

4 - Other
for the pointer to work:

sudo aptitude install gpointing-device-settings
The Graphic card can be handle with fglrx proprietary driver but in my case I crash all my system trying to make it work so I wont tel any bothy how to use it !!!

END !!!
Hope this is useful for some one else then me ! :D

Since this is my first howto you are welcome to give comments and advice to improve it !

Regards
Last edited by uBaLd on 2011-04-07 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3
Workstation / 2 Xeon E5-2620 / 32GB RAM

secipolla

Re: Howto install Squeeze on Lenovo X100e with wire connection

#2 Post by secipolla »

Thank you for posting.
Regarding a newer kernel, it's much more simpler to enable the liquorix repository and install the kernel of the same name. See: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45151

Currently it's on 2.6.35-4 and it can update itself if you install the metapackage, the same for the headers. Works very well and it's a trouble saver for many people.

uBaLd

#3 Post by uBaLd »

Thank you for the reply, its been a while since I came to on the forum.

I did not know a thing about the liquorix repository.
Can you explain to me how it work?

Will it install the package separately from the normal repository?

On the link of liquorix in the post you refereed to me it refer to sid :

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

But is Squeeze will work ?

How may I be sure it will support the IBM fan of the Lenovo Thinkpad x100 ???

Best regards.
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

The Liquorix kernel package is installed separately from your Debian kernel, so you can choose what kernel
you want at boot time. Be aware that e.g. proprietary graphics drivers will have to be reinstalled by hand.

I wouldn't suggest the kernel for stable use, more for testing maybe. While it has great speed because of
its patches, it was very unstable for me. I would lose control of my laptop trackpad for example.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

widz

#5 Post by widz »

hello,
thank you for the how-to, and as I have the same wireless card - what about if I have no other way to download the build-essentials (no broadband, just wireless)? :)
you have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep the world from running you plumb crazy

uBaLd

Re: Howto install Squeeze on Lenovo X100e with wire connecti

#6 Post by uBaLd »

widz

Sorry for the late answer!

If you don't have land connection you can download all the needed package and install by hand !

that is for example download
build-essentials from an other computer to a usb:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/build-essential

and install with dpkg -i all the package you need !! As you might need other dependency package ...

There is probably a better or easier way to do it without wifi but i don't know now how ! Other way might be to use DVD with usb DVD player But I guess you don't have one !
Debian is the best !
Debian Jessie / Gnome3

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Howto install Squeeze on Lenovo X100e with wire connecti

#7 Post by canci »

build-essential won't install by itself. You will need all the dependencies. I suggest you rather pay someone you know and has
an Internet connection a coffee or something, to just hook up for 30 min or so and install everything you need. Just make a list
of the packages and the source code you'll require. build-essential + dependencies + kernel is around 100 MB of data, not more.

Another thing you could do is to order Debian DVDs from a local Linux user group (or another company which does that) and
just flash the DVD ISOs to usb keys (alternatively, you can also use an external DVD drive). That way you have all the packages
without going online. Be sure to at least have the 1st 4 DVDs or so.

Look at this website:
http://www.ingus.biz/debian

They seem to be outdated, and as I don't understand Bulgarian, I can't quite tell if they're still delivering Debian. You can try and
contact them.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources