Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install Longman LDOCE5 on 64-bit Debian GNU/Linux

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
meln4u

Install Longman LDOCE5 on 64-bit Debian GNU/Linux

#1 Post by meln4u »

Another mini-howto for installing 32-bit Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 5th Edition (abbr. as LDOCE5) on 64-bit Debian wheezy/sid (with linux-image-2.6.37-2-amd64_2.6.37-2_amd64.deb and nouveau graphics driver). It may also apply to Debian squeeze and older amd64 kernels.

Installing Steps:
1. Make sure all the prerequisites have been installed; if not, issue:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends libgtk2.0-0 ia32-libs-gtk (huge inter-dependencies)
or
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends libgtk2.0-0 ia32-libs-gtk
(libgtk2.0-0 might be replaced by libgtk-3-0. ia32-libs-gtk could be installed after finishing the LDOCE5 installation in step 3.)
2. Insert LDOCE5 DVD-ROM into DVD drive (/dev/sr0) and mount it with:

sudo mount -t iso9660 -o ro,exec /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0
or
sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro,exec /path/to/LDOCE5_iso_image /media/cdrom0
(There is no copy-protection mechanism under Linux)
3. Start the LDOCE5 installation (that would take a few min.):

linux32 /media/cdrom0/linux/setup.sh
4. Launch LDOCE5:

cd ~/ldoce5
./run-ldoce5.sh
Troubleshooting:
1. libc6-i386 package is required to resolve the error message:

./run-ldoce5.sh: 424: ./ldoce5-bin: not found
2. ia32-libs-gtk package is required to resolve the error message:

./ldoce5-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
3. If there is no sound while running LDOCE5, load kernel module snd-pcm-oss.ko (assuming ALSA):

sudo modprobe snd-pcm-oss
4. To auto-load snd-pcm-oss.ko during kernel bootstrapping, append this line "snd-pcm-oss" to /etc/modules (assuming ALSA):

echo snd-pcm-oss | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
5. While running LDOCE5, the default volume may not suit you well, you could adjust it using alsamixer (included within alsa-utils package), particularly Master and Front devices/channels in alsamixer (assuming ALSA).

Note:
On Linux x86_64, installing LDOCE5 is exactly identical to installing Oxford dictionary OALD8.
There is no need to separately install libc6-i386, ia32-libs, Adobe flash player, alsa-oss, and libgtk2.0-dev.
ia32-libs-gtk depends on ia32-libs, which in turn depends on libc6-i386. The LDOCE5 installation script "/media/cdrom0/linux/setup.sh" will automatically install a 32-bit Adobe flash player 9.0 (that cannot be upgraded to a 32-bit 10.2 one). snd-pcm-oss.ko kernel module has already been included within linux-image-2.6.37-2-amd64, installing the userland alsa-oss package makes no difference. libgtk2.0-dev is for compiling/building packages with gtk2.0 header files, there is no use in the case of installing the closed-source LDOCE5.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. --Samuel Barclay Beckett

m_pahlevanzadeh

Re: Install Longman LDOCE5 on 64-bit Debian GNU/Linux

#2 Post by m_pahlevanzadeh »

I solve it:
Please create a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ directory such as /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ldoce5.conf
put path of your ldoce5 in above file, then run as super user:

ldconfig -v 
Then restart your compouter, Your problem will be solved!!!

toopho

"No candidate version found for ia32-libs-gtk" ???

#3 Post by toopho »

I am using Debian 8 jessie and I cannot find “ia32-libs-gtk”.

I launched setup.sh and the installation begun. It seemed to go well through all the installation process until the last few lines:

100% - /home/un/ldoce5//ldoce5.data/exa_pron.skn/dirs.skn/FILES.skn/FILES.dat
 Fixing data
 Install fonts
cp: cannot stat ‘setup.data/AWLPhonetics3U.TTF’: No such file or directory
 Install desktop shortcut

Installation complete.
Whenever I try to start the dictionary the following error message prompts:

./ldoce5/ldoce5-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I couldn't find anything similar to “glibc-2.1” either. Where did these packages go?

Package ia32-libs-gtk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'ia32-libs-gtk' has no installation candidate

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Where did these packages go?
you could try :

locate (filename) 
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2015-08-04 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Hey, packages and distros change and evolve. On 64-bit, you need to enable the i386 arch in multiarch and install :i386 versions of missing dependencies instead of using ia32libs.

GLIBC is known as libc6 in Debian.

If you don't know what some of the terms mean, the Debian wiki is your friend.
MX Linux packager and developer

m_pahlevanzadeh

Re: "No candidate version found for ia32-libs-gtk" ???

#6 Post by m_pahlevanzadeh »

toopho wrote:I am using Debian 8 jessie and I cannot find “ia32-libs-gtk”.

I launched setup.sh and the installation begun. It seemed to go well through all the installation process until the last few lines:

100% - /home/un/ldoce5//ldoce5.data/exa_pron.skn/dirs.skn/FILES.skn/FILES.dat
 Fixing data
 Install fonts
cp: cannot stat ‘setup.data/AWLPhonetics3U.TTF’: No such file or directory
 Install desktop shortcut

Installation complete.
Whenever I try to start the dictionary the following error message prompts:

./ldoce5/ldoce5-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I couldn't find anything similar to “glibc-2.1” either. Where did these packages go?

Package ia32-libs-gtk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'ia32-libs-gtk' has no installation candidate
Unfortunately, You dont have this package from wheezy.

toopho

#7 Post by toopho »

I installed quite a lot of libraries that didn't make a change. The following is what made progress:

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 
After installing that package, when launching the dictionary, the error had changed to:

./ldoce5/ldoce5-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Later, I issued the following command:

apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 libjpeg62:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libsm6:i386 libidn11:i386
...And now the error when starting the dictionary is the following:

un@HP:~$ ./ldoce5/ldoce5

(ldoce5-bin:3886): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(ldoce5-bin:3886): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(ldoce5-bin:3886): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(ldoce5-bin:3886): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
...and don't know what else to do now, but I feel I am close to making it work. Any suggestions? Thanks.

toopho

#8 Post by toopho »

apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module:i386
And now there is no error. But I don't see the dictionary opening in a new window, all it does is:

un@HP:~$ ./ldoce5/ldoce5

(ldoce5-bin:2202): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(ldoce5-bin:2202): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(ldoce5-bin:2202): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(ldoce5-bin:2202): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

un@HP:~$