Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOW-TO: Up-to-date wine binaries for Debian squeeze

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
tabernakel

HOW-TO: Up-to-date wine binaries for Debian squeeze

#1 Post by tabernakel »

I've hunted down this info for weeks, as information regarding the Wine project and Debian seems to become pretty outdated on the web - so hopefully some of you are interested as well:

The problem: Because the Wine project didn't finish version 1.2 in time to make it for the Debian squeeze freeze, the Debian repositories only offer pretty ancient versions of wine: 1.0.1.x in stable/testing/unstable, and 1.1.24 in experimental is all you're currently able to apt-get. Unfortunally, these versions are way too old to get support from http://www.winehq.org, which includes the impossibility to post problems in the application database - apart from around a year lack in bugfixing, compatibility work, copy protection support, 3D game support, etc. And that with a kind of software project that because of it's very nature most of it's users want as current as possible ... :evil:

The workaround in lenny was to add the lamaresh repository to /etc/apt/sources.list, but unfortunally this repository ceased to add newer versions than wine 1.1.42. So many get stuck there, as compiling the wine source distribution requires tons of prerequisite updates, seriously endangering system stability. Alternatively, some more desperate sources suggest the use of Ubuntu binaries, which has pretty much the same stability penalty because Ubuntu does differ significantly from Debian in some important areas - for example packaging. However, as stability is the deciding value that led many of us to choose Debian in the first place, these tend to get stuck with wine 1.1.42 - and so did I for a while. :cry:

Fortunately, I recently found a clue in the "About the Wine mess" thread, and worked it out from there: The MEPIS distribution seems to differ a lot less from plain Debian than Ubuntu, as it's intestines (like kernel, compilers, packaging) are plain Debian stable packages since it's 7.0 version. MEPIS 8.5 is a Debian lenny based midlife upgrade (kernel 2.6.32), so it's not too old. And most importantly, the MEPIS site offers up-to-date binary Wine .deb's compiled for i386 and amd64 that are pretty much just plain Wine builds, and they seem to work nicely with squeeze (and presumably lenny as well).

So this is how you install an up to date Wine version (I did 3.1.14, the user @stevepusser reported 1.3.10) in Debian squeeze: Browse http://main.mepis-deb.org/M85packages.html - just search for "wine - 1.3." inside the document. Download the wine and wine-gecko .deb files matching your architecture from there. Then purge your current Wine installation ("sudo aptitude purge wine wine-gecko" should do the trick, verify using "sudo aptitude search wine" that all Wine packages have been deinstalled, and don't forget to delete your current ~/.wine directory. Then install the two downloaded wine-gecko and wine .deb files in said order - either using GDebi (GUI deb-installer accessible from Nautilus when marking .deb-file and clicking right), or dkpg ("sudo dpkg -i deb-file").

Note that the MEPIS Wine distribution package differs slightly from current Debian practice by not being a meta package, i.e. all common wine packages are included in it. I installed Wine 3.1.14 on my squeeze i386 installation, and it works like a charm - there is only one standard debian package that is installed as a prereq. Sure enough a debian repository offering regular updates on the package would be preferable - installing .deb-files implies that you'll have to upgrade manually by repeating the steps above from time to time. However, given the cautious upgrade policy regarding version change of projects in Debian (see http://packages.debian.org/search?searc ... words=wine for the current Wine status) it'll probably be quite a while before the Debian repositories catch up with the current stable wine releases (wine 1.2.x), let alone 1.3.10+ versions in experimental ... :wink:

ChrisW

Re: HOW-TO: Up-to-date wine binaries for Debian squeeze

#2 Post by ChrisW »

Not tried it myself, but WineHQ have a Debian repository: http://www.winehq.org/download/deblenny

Seems to be at v1.3.16beta today, although v1.3.16 was officially release on 18th March.
Value your Privacy? BT Webwise and Phorm must be stopped.

tabernakel

#3 Post by tabernakel »

Where do you see a link to binary 1.3.16beta packages in http://www.winehq.org/download/deblenny? All I can find in the web page (both in the english and the german translation of the page, which is auto selected based on your browser language preferences) are references to the lamaresh repository, containing Wine binaries up to 1.1.42 - as documented in post #1. Also, I cannot seem to access any deb repository under http://www.winehq.org/download/deblenny directly.

Which browser language setting were you using when following this link? Where exactly do you find a binary repository with 1.3.16 Wine binaries following this link, i.e. what's the sources.list entry you're using? After all, this would be anything Debian users could hope for given the stir about Wine versions in Debian since squeeze ...

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Actually, I just added Mepis 8.0 virtual machines a week ago, and M8.0 was even more closely related to Lenny, so I'd recommend the latest build of 1.3.15 (1.3.15-1mcr80+1) here: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ ... in/w/wine/

We also just changed our versioning to reflect the MEPIS version: mcr80, mcr85, mcr110 for 8.0, 8.5, and 11.0 (11.0 is mostly Squeeze-based)

We bypassed the testing repo for this release, since the 8.0 Wine was also old. Ordinarily packages spend a week or two in our testing repo, which you can drill down into from here: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/

Pick repo or testrepo, then pool, then main or nonfree and start looking.

It's also recommended to install the wine-gecko package, since Wine seems to have trouble doing it on its own:

(any one should work, it's arch-independent) http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ ... ine-gecko/

Steve (off to build 1.3.16 for testing)
MX Linux packager and developer

ChrisW

#5 Post by ChrisW »

Where do you see a link to binary 1.3.16beta
@tabernakel - you are right of course, I did say I hadn't tried it!
Value your Privacy? BT Webwise and Phorm must be stopped.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I have just noticed that the newer Wine 1.3 releases want a newer wine-gecko based on Firefox 4. They ordinarily try and download it manually, but it can also be packaged into a deb (I have the three MEPIS versions here: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1UMhs ... ZTIy&hl=en

for a couple days until they get into the repo. I am building 1.3.16 to have a hard dependency on this package to save the problem downloads with gecko (often does not seem to work).

tabernakel

#7 Post by tabernakel »

@stevepusser: Are there problems with the wine 1.3.16 builds Steve? I still only see 3.1.15 in the repos, which is still working like a charm on my Debian squeeze. Btw, the document link in your last reply seems to be broken, probably because of the "..." abreviation contained in the URL. :wink:

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

tabernakel wrote:@stevepusser: Are there problems with the wine 1.3.16 builds Steve? I still only see 3.1.15 in the repos, which is still working like a charm on my Debian squeeze. Btw, the document link in your last reply seems to be broken, probably because of the "..." abreviation contained in the URL. :wink:
We have a testing repository where we keep new builds a week or two, until we get some reports that they have not set people's machines on fire. See my post above regarding "testrepo".

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... st/w/wine/

For this build I noticed Wine was complaining about Lenny's libmpg123 being way too old, so for the Lenny based mcr80 and mcr85 versions also backported it: testing: http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... /m/mpg123/

Squeeze's libmpg123 is recent enough.

By the way, I've managed an Iceweasel 4.0 backport that should also install on a Lenny plus lenny-backports system.

tabernakel

#9 Post by tabernakel »

@Stevepusser: Iceweasel was the first package I completely deinstalled on my squeeze, for obvious reasons. Simply download the binaries from the firefox project site, unpack it in /usr/bin (or maybe more corectly /usr/local/bin with a link in /usr/bin) - and the Iceweasel is done for. ;)

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

tabernakel wrote:@Stevepusser: Iceweasel was the first package I completely deinstalled on my squeeze, for obvious reasons. Simply download the binaries from the firefox project site, unpack it in /usr/bin (or maybe more corectly /usr/local/bin with a link in /usr/bin) - and the Iceweasel is done for. ;)
Ehhhh....we prefer to to have natively compiled 32 and true 64-bit builds in our community repository, and iceweasel has quite a few Debian specific patches to the source (whether that's a good thing is up to the user to choose) It does take an ungodly amount of time to build, though.

I hope you found the Wine 1.3.16 builds.

gradinaruvasile

#11 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Wine can be built easily on Debian.
Make sure you have all its build dependencies installed, then everything is down to ./configure+make+checkinstall - this will result in a .deb file (make sure you remove all previously installed wine components first).
I built all 1.3 versions this way and they work without problems.

tabernakel

#12 Post by tabernakel »

gradinaruvasile wrote:Wine can be built easily on Debian.
Make sure you have all its build dependencies installed, then everything is down to ./configure+make+checkinstall - this will result in a .deb file (make sure you remove all previously installed wine components first).
Wine can surely be built on debian, yes. But when it comes to builds, in my opinion nothing is easy: You need to know your way around the build processes, because more often than not you need to have insight to tweak things to make the builds work. Its probably easy for followup versions once you've got it working for one release, because then you know what to do. But so far I have only once encountered a project that compiled successfully out of the box: The NVIDIA native driver package, and that one cost me one of my two processor cores until I found a binary package to replace it. To make matters worse, there are often still compile or link issues to solve that have not been properly addressed in ./configure - i tried to compile 3 packages during the past weeks, and every time the build process failed during make or make install steps, after a successful ./configure ...

Thats why I am very grateful for binaries, because they do not force me as an end-user to alpha-test a build process, all the while destabilizing my system with the build dependency packages. And wine's dependency list is probably longer than anyone elses ... :wink:

tabernakel

#13 Post by tabernakel »

stevepusser wrote:I hope you found the Wine 1.3.16 builds.
Yes found it: I picked the wine 3.1.16 mcr80-i386 deb from http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... st/w/wine/, and the matching wine-gecko 1.2 from http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... ine-gecko/. Compared to the 3.1.15 build, your 3.1.16 .deb now requires installation of wine-gecko 1.2 (as you said) and libmpg123-0 (hope I remember that one right).

Needed to replace wine-gecko before installing the new wine version because (of course) the package installer didn't know where to look for the newer wine-gecko version. Apart from that, the install went smoothly, running windows apps works nicely too, and I haven't found any issues so far ...

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

tabernakel wrote:
stevepusser wrote:I hope you found the Wine 1.3.16 builds.
Yes found it: I picked the wine 3.1.16 mcr80-i386 deb from http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... st/w/wine/, and the matching wine-gecko 1.2 from http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... ine-gecko/. Compared to the 3.1.15 build, your 3.1.16 .deb now requires installation of wine-gecko 1.2 (as you said) and libmpg123-0 (hope I remember that one right).

Needed to replace wine-gecko before installing the new wine version because (of course) the package installer didn't know where to look for the newer wine-gecko version. Apart from that, the install went smoothly, running windows apps works nicely too, and I haven't found any issues so far ...
Thanks for the report. I refreshed and modified the debian folder from the Ubuntu PPA, except they were packaging it as wine1.3. I thought about leaving it as that, but decided to go with just 'wine' to not confuse things.

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

tabernakel wrote:
gradinaruvasile wrote:Wine can be built easily on Debian.
Wine can surely be built on debian, yes. But when it comes to builds, in my opinion nothing is easy: You need to know your way around the build processes, because more often than not you need to have insight to tweak things to make the builds work. Its probably easy for followup versions once you've got it working for one release, because then you know what to do. But so far I have only once encountered a project that compiled successfully out of the box: The NVIDIA native driver package, and that one cost me one of my two processor cores until I found a binary package to replace it. To make matters worse, there are often still compile or link issues to solve that have not been properly addressed in ./configure - i tried to compile 3 packages during the past weeks, and every time the build process failed during make or make install steps, after a successful ./configure ...

Thats why I am very grateful for binaries, because they do not force me as an end-user to alpha-test a build process, all the while destabilizing my system with the build dependency packages. And wine's dependency list is probably longer than anyone elses ... :wink:
I agree that following the generic ".configure, make, make install" steps is misleading---they make it sound so easy, but you quickly bog down in unknown build-dependencies and configuration options. Luckily, rebuilding and changing the configuration of Debian packages is much, much easier; usually as easy as the other process is made out to be. Reusing the debianized source means build-depends and the stock configuration handled automatically. For example, it took me just a minute to set up the build of the new Clementine 0.7 release from the PPA, after looking at the PPA debian directory, it was easier to reuse my debian folder from the 0.6 build, since it would work perfectly and already had me in there as maintainer. Launch the build, and then come back 10 min. later to sign the finished package files.

tabernakel

#16 Post by tabernakel »

@stevepusser: I tried to install the new wine 1.3.17 build from your test repository (http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... st/w/wine/). I used the MEPIS 11.0 based wine_1.3.17-0mcr110+1_i386.deb binary for installation because you mentioned the MEPIS 11.0 is based almost completely on Debian Squeeze instead of Debian Lenny (as the MEPIS 8.0 and 8.5 versions are). However, I got the following unresolvable dependency error when trying to install the binary: libgphoto2-2 (>= 2.4.10.1)

Currently there is no 8.0 or 8.5 based wine 3.1.17 build for i386 in the repo (I guess they are not ready yet), so I cannot verify at the moment if these share the same dependency. If the dependency is intentional, can you explain what it is and where I can get a sufficiently current version for Squeeze? :)

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm...it looks like Warren Woodford, the MEPIS developer, recently added a backported libgphoto library to MEPIS 11 to support some other updated photo applications. However, I sent up packages for MEPIS 8 and 8.5 also...the repo maintainer did mention that he was called away during the upload last night, so libmpg123 did not migrate to the main repo to support 1.3.16 for 8.0 and 8.5, but it should have made it in tonight's sync.

Yes, I just checked and they made it into the test repo tonight, so go for the 8.5 builds.

tabernakel

#18 Post by tabernakel »

@stevepusser: Saw that you've added the MEPIS 8.0 + 8.5 builds for wine 1.3.17 on i386 in the meantime. I downloaded the 8.0 binary, and installed it without the need to provide the dependency of the MEPIS 11.0 version mentioned above. Wine 3.1.17 looks good so far ... :)

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

tabernakel wrote:@stevepusser: Saw that you've added the MEPIS 8.0 + 8.5 builds for wine 1.3.17 on i386 in the meantime. I downloaded the 8.0 binary, and installed it without the need to provide the dependency of the MEPIS 11.0 version mentioned above. Wine 3.1.17 looks good so far ... :)
Thanks for the feedback--we need at least a couple independent positive reports in order to move the builds out of testing, so I'll count yours as one. :)

tonester

#20 Post by tonester »

stevepusser wrote:
tabernakel wrote:@stevepusser: Saw that you've added the MEPIS 8.0 + 8.5 builds for wine 1.3.17 on i386 in the meantime. I downloaded the 8.0 binary, and installed it without the need to provide the dependency of the MEPIS 11.0 version mentioned above. Wine 3.1.17 looks good so far ... :)
Thanks for the feedback--we need at least a couple independent positive reports in order to move the builds out of testing, so I'll count yours as one. :)

Installed wine-gecko_1.2.0-0mcr110+2_all.deb and wine_1.3.17-0mcr110+1_i386.deb on my computer running Debian wheezy.

Works like a charm - Thanks!