Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to lower the fan noise.

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
JanPenguin

How to lower the fan noise.

#1 Post by JanPenguin »

I've read through various noise reduction methods: high-end CPU fan, liquid CPU cooler, dropping fan voltage, etc. Decent liquid CPU cooler is $100 easy of which the price of a used PC.

All the fans come with noise range by dB. The marketing tactics the companies give spot the lowest noise where the fan runs at idle. You should make sure the upper noise level because some of mid-range CPU fans have bad reputation. $40 to $50 fans create more noise than $4-$5 or stock one.

What I did, I upgraded a CPU and added 2 GiB memory. Previous CPU was AMD Athlon 64 LE 2.8GHz, single core. I just found a Dual Core 4.8GHz on a internet shopping mall where I live. It cost me about $40 for the CPU, $24 for two GiB memories. The system is 64bit Dual core and 3 GiB memory.

After I plugged in the dual core, and two GiB memories, the average CPU temperature sits at 28C to 29C which has been at 44C flat most of time. So, I basically reduced 14C which is very impressive number. Whenever previous system was overloaded, the CPU temperature went up 59C to 60C. I think It was running the CPU fan full-speed.

I probably lower the voltage of CPU fan and the power supply fan, and add extra fan in the case later on.

Dual core CPU reminded me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABIT_BP6 which offered two Intel Celeron slots. ;)
I had fun with it.

PS: Do not disconnect the power supply fan. The unit will blows out within few minutes. I lost four-year old one while I was playing around. A good learning experience. :mrgreen:

geazzy

Re: How to lower the fan noise.

#2 Post by geazzy »

nice share bro :)

chickennugget

Re: How to lower the fan noise.

#3 Post by chickennugget »

my approach was more low tech.
Things were getting a bit hot when using iceweasel and watching video on the net 70c
With the power unplugged I took off the bottom plate from my laptop (just plastic)
drilled about a dozen holes underneath where the hardrive and cpu area is
I was amazed how effective this was - temp doesn't even get above 60c now when watching video and
remains much lower when doing other things.