Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Howto: Simple tuning of Debian systems

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Azriel

#31 Post by Azriel »

deborphan also works randomly for me. I've used it with my etch debian, and now with sid, and i get the same problem than said above: it find orphaned libraries which are not orphaned at all.

It would strongly advise to try a

Code: Select all

deborphan -d
before everything in order to see the dependencies of the libs, and then remove carefully one by one the one you think are ok for removal...

[EDIT]: ok, just after posting that, i've started to clean my HDD using deborphan -d, and apt-get remove the libraries without dependencies, and now, the ony thing found by bedorphan is tcltls, which is used by amsn, but is not really a dependencie (since amsn can work without it), so not really a problem. Just deborphan -A tcltls and it's done. Still i strongly advise removing manually each package, even if it is only to know what the hell is going on on your system :).

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#32 Post by Lavene »

I have never had deborphan (I use the 'orphaner' frontend) remove libs with dependencies, but if it does it should be reported as a bug. However: if you have anything installed from source you can not trust it anymore of course since those dependencies are not known to apt.

Also remember that Unstable is called unstable for a reason. I can easily imagine deborphan fail on Sid systems...

Tina

rickh

#33 Post by rickh »

I have never had a problem on Sid using # deborphan | xargs dpkg --purge

But, obviously, I don't guarantee that you won't. The question that arises in my mind is whether using dpkg --purge is leaving cruft from packages it is deleting.

I haven't gotten brave enough yet to try # deborphan | xargs aptitude remove
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97