Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cool Manpage Access

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
ethyrdude

Cool Manpage Access

#1 Post by ethyrdude »

The way I was taught to access the man pages is in a console and then type $ man grub or $ man iptables or $ man yourchoiceofapplication. I found a cooler way today and I just had to share it.

If you have KDE installed, start Konqueror and in the location bar, type man:and then the program who's manual you want,
man:grub
This might not work for all man pages but for those that do work, this is much nicer than reading the manual in a console. I haven't tested this in Nautilus, I don't use Gnome, so it's not installed but try it and if it works, post your findings here.

osmo

#2 Post by osmo »

With GNOME you can use Yelp. I had almost forgotten about it as it used to be painfully slow, but it seems Yelp has gotten its share of the performance focus put on GNOME 2.14 and is now fairly usable.

Another good way to view man pages is with a text editor. There's a plugin for Vim and Emacs probably has man-page support built in.

Grifter

#3 Post by Grifter »

What's wrong with less eh? It is truly an awesome pager.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

ajdlinux

#4 Post by ajdlinux »

You can also read info pages in KDE with info:<page>.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au