Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Revised]HOWTO: AMD64 Debian GNU/Linux and UEFI

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
shmerl

Re: [Updated 6x]HOWTO: AMD64 Debian GNU/Linux and UEFI

#21 Post by shmerl »

I'm using the new system now, but it has a few quirks at boot:

1. Grub loads, but after selecting the default entry (or when it reaches timeout), it shows such messages:

Code: Select all

error: file not found.
Loading Linux 3.12-1-amd64 ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...
Press any key to continue
Then it stops, unless you press any key (it resumes after a while on its own though). What can those "file not found" be, and why does it stop with waiting for any key? (Actually, those "file not found" appear on screen briefly even before the Grub menu comes up as well).

2. Grub has an entry for "System setup", but selecting it produces:

error: unknown command `fwsetup'

hkoster1

Re: [Revised]HOWTO: AMD64 Debian GNU/Linux and UEFI

#22 Post by hkoster1 »

I can't reproduce your error messages, and I don't know what they mean... :cry:

I have just revised the entire HOWTO to reflect the current state of affairs w.r.t. UEFI booting Debian GNU/Linux. The good news is that the current AMD64 version of the D-I for testing (Jessie) boots and installs on a PC with UEFI firmware without any problems, even installing a GUID partition table (GPT) when presented with a raw drive. As to current stable (Wheezy), the D-I cannot boot and install on a PC in UEFI boot mode; but the boot mode can be switched for the installed system from BIOS to UEFI afterwards, provided that the PC itself can be switched from BIOS to UEFI in the setup menu. The Revised HOWTO describes how this is done.

So, if your problems persist you may have another look at the revised HOWTO.

Good luck!
Real Debian users don't do chat...

shmerl

#23 Post by shmerl »

I found another issue. When some external hard drive is attached before boot, after selection is done in Grub it just produces a black screen. I guess there is some drives order messup, but I didn't look into it yet.

shmerl

#24 Post by shmerl »

I think I figured out where the errors come from. There is a function defined in /boot/grub/grub.cfg

function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}
In my case vga.mod, vbe.mod and ieee1275_fb.mod are simply missing. They aren't part of grub-efi-amd64-bin. They are found in grub-pc-bin though (which was removed when I installed EFI Grub). But apparently EFI Grub still tries to load them.

hkoster1

#25 Post by hkoster1 »

Well, you're running testing/Jessie or Sid, while this HOWTO is about switching stable/Wheezy from BIOS to UEFI afterwards...
So, may be you should check bug reports for a solution to your problems.

FWIW, I installed AMD64 testing/Jessie a few days ago in a VMware VM with firmware = "efi" set, and everything went OK as far as GRUB and EFI is concerned. The D-I partitioner put in a GUID partition table, a 500 MB EFI Systems Partition, and implemented UEFI booting all by itself. So, your problem could be related to hardware.
Real Debian users don't do chat...

shmerl

#26 Post by shmerl »

Yes, apparently that path is triggered based on some hardware (the video modes errors). Luckily they aren't important - commenting those lines out in that function prevents errors from appearing. I didn't find a similar bug so far, so I might file one about it.

UPDATE: later versions of GRUB fixed this.
Last edited by shmerl on 2014-10-22 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

shmerl

#27 Post by shmerl »

By the way, why isn't UEFI shell packaged in Debian? It can be useful for restoring some cases when GRUB update borks UEFI boot entries (like recently happened in Debian testing).

JanPenguin

#28 Post by JanPenguin »

@hkoster1

Thanks a lot.

rEFInd saved my day.