Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Firefox in Debian 6.0.2.1-i386, (Squeeze)

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Hralgmir

Re: Installing Firefox in Debian 6.0.2.1-i386, (Squeeze)

#21 Post by Hralgmir »

craigevil wrote:wow rather than go through all that I would just shoot myself.

Just install Iceweasel.
There is another reason to install Iceweasel I noted, the i386 Iceweasel 15 deb is about 2.5MB to download, while Firefox from Mozilla is 18.4MB. I think this is probably because the Mozilla download is compiled as a more or less stand alone installation, while the .deb depends on various libraries already installed with Debian. Using a Firefox .deb from another distro like Mepis as suggested would get around this perhaps, but I think I may have solved the Firefox from Mozilla installation question! It takes less than an hour when you get the hang of it :)

There was a bug in the iceweasel_3.5.16-13_i386.deb iceweasel.desktop file by the way:
StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin

xprop says WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Iceweasel"

This should read :
StartupWMClass=Iceweasel

to agree with xprop's output, or the desktop may give occasional errors shutting down Iceweasel.

This is not the current Iceweasel version package, so maybe it has been fixed now?

L_V

#22 Post by L_V »

Hralgmir wrote:There is another reason to install Iceweasel I noted, the i386 Iceweasel 15 deb is about 2.5MB to download, while Firefox from Mozilla is 18.4MB.
Not sure this is fully relevant because xulrunner is a dependency of Iceweasel, and needs to be updated accordingly, plus may be some other dependencies which also need to be updated.
Moreover, the local mirror Packages list needs to be updated to check for updates, which requires some bandwidth.

llivv

#23 Post by llivv »

L_V wrote:
Hralgmir wrote:There is another reason to install Iceweasel I noted, the i386 Iceweasel 15 deb is about 2.5MB to download, while Firefox from Mozilla is 18.4MB.
Not sure this is fully relevant because xulrunner is a dependency of Iceweasel, and needs to be updated accordingly, plus may be some other dependencies which also need to be updated.
Moreover, the local mirror Packages list needs to be updated to check for updates, which requires some bandwidth.
In juxtaposition
I just updated chromium today ( not that I ever use it ) to the tune of 41MB download

what a load
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

L_V

#24 Post by L_V »

A bit of topic, but If you look for something really ligth, qupzilla is a good alternative: http://packages.debian.org/jessie/qupzilla
It includes adblock.

Hralgmir

#25 Post by Hralgmir »

A further modification / update to the above installation code:
In the firefox.desktop file, add an extra directory to the path for the icon, /browser/ eg.
Icon=/opt/firefoxx/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png

Upgrading to Firefox 21.0 from 19 - there was probably a version 20 I missed out - saw a blank patch appear on the task bar where the launcher icon had been. Changing the firefox.desktop file then right clicking the launcher and removing it, and dragging and dropping a new Firefox launcher into place from the Applications - Internet menu fixed this.

The above installation procedure refers to Debian 6 Squeeze and Gnome 2, which I am still currently using. Debian 7 Wheezy and Gnome 3 have some changes:
(Taken from the Debian 7 Wheezy release notes)
2.2.10.2. Settings

Most technologies underlying GNOME are still here: the D-Bus
messaging system, the PolicyKit permissions manager, the
    GStreamer multimedia system, the gvfs virtual file system, the
MIME system, the ConsoleKit, udisks and upower interfaces to
hardware management; all are kept without major changes.

However, the underlying configuration system to GNOME has
undergone a major evolution, from GConf to a new system named
GSettings, which is much faster and more versatile. The settings
    can be browsed or edited using the (recommended) gsettings
command-line tool, or the dconf-editor graphical tool. The GConf
system is still available for third-party applications that use
it.

Most settings are migrated upon upgrade, but for technical and
conceptual reasons, a selected number of settings are not:

* default session and language (now managed by the
accountsservice daemon);

* desktop wallpaper;

* default GTK+ theme (none of the previous themes exist
anymore);

* panel and applets configuration (applets now use relative
positioning);

* default browser and mailer (the settings are now part of the
MIME system through x-scheme-handler/* types).