Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Howto: Raspbian tips and tricks

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
llivv

Re: Howto: Raspbian tips and tricks

#16 Post by llivv »

confuseling wrote: And this:

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

(although I read somewhere the latter may be quite outdated, haven't really looked into it).
There's a new section with new data. thanks confuseling :wink:
what's your favorite raspberry pi topping?
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

confuseling

#17 Post by confuseling »

I'm running Raspbian Wheezy as a seedbox at the moment. Going to set it up with a software RAID JBOD as backup / file server, probably running dokuwiki and squid.

I haven't even plugged it into a screen yet (perhaps never will...), but it does what I need it to do perfectly so far. For the price I think it's great, and I'm glad to provide a tiny bit of support to the Foundation too by having bought one.
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

ntrcessor

#18 Post by ntrcessor »

I noticed someone posted that VGA monitors don't work with the Pi, but in fact they do. You just need an HDMI to VGA adapter. (Which I have, plus I have a slitter) so you can mirror the display on 2 monitors. Note: The splitter I have does not "trick" the raspbian into thinking I have a huge display, so no you cannot use it to do "twinview" or xinerama. The splitter just repeats the same out on both vga outs. Usefule when doing a presentation so you don't have to turn around to see the display behind you.

I'm using a self powered usb-hub which has greatly increased the number of devices I have hooked up. I bought it for Home Automation, but I'm playing with other functions before I decide if I'm going to do that. It seems a bit slow for the original purpose I bought it for. It's a neat toy, and probably great for single purpose things. but even with misterhouse being the "only" app running (other than drivers) it is still very slow. All of the other home control apps I have tried are even slower yet, so if I do use it in Home automation, I'll probably just use it as a repeating controller, or a gateway, and run mh or some other software on something a little more powerful. It's make a great "gateway" for separate powerline segments in a house to be able to repeat a command without using a phase coupler.