Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HOWTO install infinality font-settings for Debian

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
eriksatie

Re: HOWTO install infinality font-settings for Debian

#46 Post by eriksatie »

Debian testing user here. Is there a simple instructions to put infinality fonts on this machine? Is the OP instructions still usable?

DebbyIan

#47 Post by DebbyIan »

Please stop polluting this thread with user support requests.

Start a new thread instead.

bester69

#48 Post by bester69 »

i used:
infinality.sh--> Windows7
infctl.sh --> Win7

forcing 96 PPP
Hint: Medium RGB
lcdlegacy
antialias
not autohint

I linked Windows 10 fonts truetype directory ( /usr/share/fonts/truetype/sudo ln -s /sda1/Windows/FONTS)
I set infinallity settings and compared to Windows 10 vs Debian Jessie same document, by taking some captures but i cant match the fonts, don you know what can be the problem??

subir fotos gratis

bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Brainey

#49 Post by Brainey »

KDE with kdm display manager don't load all infinality settings. :( If you want use infinality, just migrate on lightdm.

bester69

#50 Post by bester69 »

Brainey wrote:KDE with kdm display manager don't load all infinality settings. :( If you want use infinality, just migrate on lightdm.
its seems true, i installed lightdm and fonts looks much better than with kdm, my fonts now match almost 95% windows fonts. thanks a lot, now im using lightdm.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Mad_7

#51 Post by Mad_7 »

Here's a small guide, hot to install (the binaries of) Infinality Ultimate (also known as bohoomil's), at Debian Jessie, from Ubuntu PPA repository:
(I tested it, at my system. Debian Jessie x64 KDE).
Normally, this should be avoided, but since there are no other dependencies, I think it's OK in this case.
I hope some time there will be binaries for Debian too, of course. :D

Here are the few steps:

1) Add the repository:
Give (as root):

Code: Select all

add-apt-repository "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rjvbertin/infinaltimate/ubuntu trusty main"
2) The sources are commented off, by default.
Personally, I delete them anyway (editing (as root) the sources.list), or with a GUI way (eg. giving

software-properties-kde
and deleting them, from there).

3) Refresh the repositories and install the updates (with Synaptic or from console).
Pay attention, NOT to install anything new!
Updating is enough. Installing something new, may break your system.

4) Optionally, edit (as root) the /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh file, to your liking.
(eg.

kdesu kate /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh
).

Personally, I changed the USE_STYLE="3" option, to 5 (more a more intense result), but it's up to you to give any value from 1 to 5 (or leave the default 3).

5) That's it! You're ready to go! :D
Every application that will start from now, will use the new files - settings.
It's a good idea though, to log-off and back on (or to restart) for letting your entire desktop, make use of Infinality Ultimate.

Note: I tested it for about a week and I didn't had any negative side-effects.
Only the very first time after installation, for some reason when rebooted, I had a delay (<1min.) on the shutdown.

Head_on_a_Stick

#52 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Mad_7 wrote:1) Add the repository:
Give (as root):

add-apt-repository "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rjvbertin/infinaltimate/ubuntu trusty main"
Rather than adding a PPA, why not just compile the package locally instead?
https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA

EDIT: Also, freetype2 in jessie is pretty freakin' awesome these days -- I can hardly tell the difference even with bohoomil's Infinality version as long as the recommended ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf is used.
deadbang

bester69

#53 Post by bester69 »

See How nice Infinality fonts looks with Windows7 style and Segoe UI fonts

:wink:

BubuXP

#54 Post by BubuXP »

I "dissected" bohoomil's work and I updated my version of Infinality: now it should be identical in aspect and functionality to the current Infinality in Arch, except for fonts bundles (but I'll try to port these too).
If you are interested, sources are provided for all the packages, and all the changes I made can be found in the packages' changelogs, that I'm trying to keep as detailed as I can.

Instructions and packages can be found here for Jessie and here for Stretch/Sid.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated to further improve my work.
I don't have statistics of downloads in Google Drive, so I don't have a clue about how much users I reach with my packages.

EDIT: I dissected so much bohoomil's work that I found a bug in fontconfig that can compromise the visual result.
I will fix my packages soon, so for the moment hold on.

EDIT2: everything fixed and totally renewed. Read the instructions.

asta

#55 Post by asta »

Thanks for providing the packages for stretch BubuXP. Unfortunately you forgot to upload the 32-bit versions, which are needed for multi arch. Can you add them to your google drive, or give me some pointers on how to compile them? Just by looking at bohoomil's repository I really have no clue how to do that.

BubuXP

#56 Post by BubuXP »

asta wrote:Thanks for providing the packages for stretch BubuXP. Unfortunately you forgot to upload the 32-bit versions, which are needed for multi arch. Can you add them to your google drive, or give me some pointers on how to compile them? Just by looking at bohoomil's repository I really have no clue how to do that.
Unfortunately I cannot compile i386 versions of the packages right now, I should create a chroot environment to do this, and I don't have much time now.

If you want to compile i386 versions by yourself you need a i386 installation of Debian (in a virtual machine or in chroot is ok too), then:

1) Install these two packages:

# apt install devscripts build-essential
(this will download and install many packages).

2) Download the source files from the "sources" directory in Google Drive (where you find the packages). You must download the source for cairo and freetype; infinality-deb is not needed, as it's architecture-indipendent and the package it creates (fontconfig-infinality) is ok for i386 and amd64.
Then extract both the .dsc files with:

$ dpkg-source -x [i]filename[/i].dsc
3) Now install the packages needed to compile cairo and freetype with:

# apt-get build-dep cairo freetype
(many other packages to install here too).

4) then enter inside the directories extracted in 2) (freetype-version/ and cairo-version/) and from here just type

$ debuild -uc -us
When compile is finished, if there are no errors you should find the packages in the upper directory.

If it's difficult for you just wait that I or someone else can compile it.

stevepusser

#57 Post by stevepusser »

I could build your packages for Jessie on the openSUSE Build Service--but they don't offer a testing Debian build, just 7 and 8. Or help you set a repo there, it turns out to be rather easy, even easier than a PPA. I've set up quite a few of my own in the last month. For example, this is the first one I set up, and you get this sort of page automatically:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon
MX Linux packager and developer

BubuXP

#58 Post by BubuXP »

stevepusser wrote:I could build your packages for Jessie on the openSUSE Build Service--but they don't offer a testing Debian build, just 7 and 8. Or help you set a repo there, it turns out to be rather easy, even easier than a PPA. I've set up quite a few of my own in the last month. For example, this is the first one I set up, and you get this sort of page automatically:
https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon
Nice, I was searching for something like this but I cannot find anything.
It's a shame that it cannot build for Testing, but usually packages compiled for Stable works ok on Testing too.
I will try to make a repository as soon I have the time, but if you want you can do it right now (if you need something just ask me).

stevepusser

#59 Post by stevepusser »

I do have a guide with some tips for using the OBS:

OpenSUSE Build Service Guide

Things to watch out for:

All the packages you add to a project end up in the same repository, which makes it handy if your project requires updated dependencies or build-depends. Building those in your repo makes them available to other packages there or to those that add the repo.

Non-alphanumeric characters in the versioning: OBS replaces these with whitespaces, which causes a FTBFS (failure to build from source). For example, "foo-1.2.3-1~bpo80+1" would have to be changed to something like "foo-1.2.3-1bpo80.1" for a successful build.

It really doesn't matter what release you put on the first stanza of the changelog, OBS will automatically put the correct version in the Release file that apt downloads. If you're only building for Debian, you might put "stable". The origin/release that apt sees for these packages will be "download.opensuse.org".

Example: foo (1.2.3-0) stable; urgency=medium

If only building for one version of Ubuntu, just use that release, or leave it at "stable" if you are building for both Debian and Ubuntu from the same source.

Example: foo (1.2.3-0) trusty; urgency=medium

OBS will automatically generate a download page for each package in the repository, but the package name at the end of the URL has to exactly match the name of the package in the repo. Let's say you want a backport of the GIMP, and give your project the title "GIMP". Then when it's built and you click the download link, it's empty, because the actual package name is "gimp". The solution is to either title the project as "gimp", or change the URL from having "GIMP" at the end to "gimp". If you're building multiple programs in one repository, you only have to tell the users to add the repository one time, as well as just add the one key.

Additional build-depends or dependencies: quite often a backport will require newer versions of a build dependency or a dependency. This should be built first in the project as the first packages; then the later packages will use them from the OBS repo to fulfill those build-deps as specified in the debian/control file. If you are building for Debian 7 and 8, and only need those newer build-deps in Debian 7, the Debian 8 build can be disabled for those packages; you don't want the package to draw your dependency from OBS when it's already in the standard Debian 8 repo.

OBS also seems to have trouble with dummy packages that provide build-depends; for example libjpeg-dev if listed in the build-deps can generate an error-- instead, list the "real" build-dep provided provided by libjep62-turbo-dev.

Each home project that you have on OBS will generate a repo; all packages that you add to the home project will go into that repo. So if you have multiple packages, just give your users instructions to add the repository for one of those packages, and the rest will be available to them. This will avoid duplicate source URLs in their sources.

Separate repositories can be added via subprojects.

Generating Source Packages

You should have devscripts installed to provide "debuild". It is also good to be able to build the packages yourself locally to work out any problems beforehand. Anyway, download the source packages you need: 1. Usually for outside sourced programs, you need the .orig.tar.xx tarball, either the .debian.tar.xx tarball or the .diff.gz file, and the .dsc file. Put these all into a folder with no spaces in its PATH in somewhere in your home directory, open a terminal in that folder, and run

dpkg-source -x <name_of_.dsc_file>

Usually tab-complete in the terminal will fill in the name of that file for you. (Note that if no changes are needed in the debian folder, these source packages can be directly uploaded to OBS without the need for generating new, changed source files as follows).

Then enter the newly extracted source folder, and edit the changelog and control files in /debian as necessary to get it to build on your target release and to make sure the versioning won't cause a FTBFS in OBS. (see above) This is where building the package on yoour own machine can help to work out any changes necessary.

Once any changes are complete, go back out of the /debian folder to the root of the extracted source folder, open a terminal, and run

debuild -S -uc -us

to generate new source files. These can be uploaded to OBS once you create a new package via the "add file" button.

Your target repositories are set up when you create a home project, but they can be individually disabled for each package as you wish.

BubuXP

#60 Post by BubuXP »

I'm experimenting with OBS, I will post the new packages as soon as they're ready (I need some little change to let OBS compile them and then I should test the Jessie packages in Testing).

Do you know if there is some similar build service but with Testing support? I found other services in OBS documentation but I didn't find this exact information.

asta

#61 Post by asta »

Great! Thanks to you I was able to build and install the 32bit libs for stretch. Now I just need to find a good font :)
I uploaded everything pbuilder built here: https://mega.nz/#F!gA0RiDxT!YxBK7qeK5T96ILawniOYfw
Maybe the libraries are of use for somebody else too.

stevepusser

#62 Post by stevepusser »

BubuXP wrote:I'm experimenting with OBS, I will post the new packages as soon as they're ready (I need some little change to let OBS compile them and then I should test the Jessie packages in Testing).

Do you know if there is some similar build service but with Testing support? I found other services in OBS documentation but I didn't find this exact information.
I don't know of any offhand--maybe some other user here can come up with one.

BubuXP

#63 Post by BubuXP »

I found a problem in my fontconfig-infinality.
To fix it before I release an updated version, do the following:

$ cd /etc/fonts/infinality.d/
# rm $(ls /usr/share/fontconfig/infinality.avail/fonts-settings/)
# fc-cache -f
$ fc-cache -f
I thought that activating all the fonts configurations was a good idea, but it wasn't. They must be picked out, depending on the installed fonts (I will explain how to do it or I will find an automated solution).

On the other side, OBS seems nice, It could be used without problems for Jessie packages (it creates even a repository that can be added to /etc/apt/sources.list).
But in Jessie it uses old libraries to compile, and as dependencies it could need with libraries that aren't in Testing anymore (for example freetype from Jessie needs an old libpng that is still in Stretch, but I don't know if it will be removed soon, and maybe old libraries means slower, less optimized binaries).
For Jessie (and Wheezy if someone requests it) I will publish the repository soon. For testing/unstable, I will continue to compile the packages by myself, until I find some better alternative (but if you want you can use the Jessie repo).

stevepusser

#64 Post by stevepusser »

But in Jessie it uses old libraries to compile, and as dependencies it could need with libraries that aren't in Testing anymore (for example freetype from Jessie needs an old libpng that is still in Stretch, but I don't know if it will be removed soon, and maybe old libraries means slower, less optimized binaries).
Yeah, that's going to be a puzzler. On one hand, I like to backport newer packages to Stable without upgrading other libraries from the Jessie base as much as possible. On the other hand, as you say, those libraries may be removed from upstream, breaking those packages for Stretch. You could add those libraries to your Jessie repo so they'd still be available to testing users, but the results could be unpredictable.

BubuXP

#65 Post by BubuXP »

Updated packages.

New fontconfig-infinality with fixes (out of the box result should looks fine now).
EDIT: found an important bug in package upgrade procedure, I will fix it soon. Please don't update until I fix it.
EDIT2: new version online, now works. My negligence in the use of dpkg-divert caused the problem, now it should be rock-solid (I hope).

I updated also freetype-infinality, but the only thing that I really changed is the 99infinality-settings file, that you can download here without the need to re-download the whole freetype packages:
https://github.com/BubuXP/infinality-de ... y-settings

Packages in my Google Drive are in i386 and amd64, for Wheezy, Jessie (compiled with OBS) and Stretch/Sid (compiled "by hand").

For Wheezy and Jessie we got also the repositories (but not for Testing/Unstable).

For Wheezy:
get the repo key with

wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/BubuXP:/Infinality/Debian_7.0/Release.key | sudo apt-key add -
and then add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/BubuXP:/Infinality/Debian_7.0/ ./
For Jessie, same as above, but with 8.0 version:
get the repo key with

wget -O - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/BubuXP:/Infinality/Debian_8.0/Release.key | sudo apt-key add -
and then add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/BubuXP:/Infinality/Debian_8.0/ ./
then apt-get update and upgrade.

As usual, feedbacks are appreciated.
Last edited by BubuXP on 2016-05-01 10:25, edited 1 time in total.