Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Documentation on Preseed Partman options?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
shinobi

Documentation on Preseed Partman options?

#1 Post by shinobi »

Documentation on Preseed Partman options? There does not seem to be a complete reference anywhere? No authoritative use guide? I find 100s if not 1000s of examples, but nothing exhaustive. For example, I can't seem to find any explanation of the following options?

d-i partman-auto-lvm/guided_size string
d-i partman-md/confirm boolean
d-i partman-md/confirm_nooverwrite boolean
d-i partman/unmount_active boolean
d-i partman-auto/purge_lvm_from_device boolean

The official Debian documentation for Preseed files, it very limited in the scope of Partman, and is nothing more than another quite limited example of how to use Partman, but somewhere this has to be an exhaustive reference? No?

Mrfai

Re: Documentation on Preseed Partman options?

#2 Post by Mrfai »

Most people cry when they need to preseed partman. This is very ugly and time consuming, because the syntax is horible.
In FAI (https://fai-project.org) we have a config file for doing partitioning, which looks very similar to a fstab file.
It also supports software raid, LVM and different file system types. An example config is this:

# <type> <mountpoint> <size> <fs type> <mount options> <misc options>
disk_config disk1 disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid

primary / 2G-15G ext4 rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
logical swap 200-1000 swap sw
logical /tmp 100-1000 ext4 rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev createopts="-m 0" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
logical /home 100-40% ext4 rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev createopts="-m 1" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
logical /srv 1G-50% ext4 rw,noatime createopts="-m 1" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"

The only downside of FAI may be that it does not use the Debian installer., IMO this is an advantage of FAI.