Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I can't find the wireless card firmwares

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
deb-ian

I can't find the wireless card firmwares

#1 Post by deb-ian »

Hello to all of you! ♥
I'm a newbie of Debian and Linux's distros in general. ahaha
I'm trying to install Debian 9.6.0 into my machine, but as soon as it start the interface asks me to add some wifi drivers named:

iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-25.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-24.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-23.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-22.ucode

The problem is that I can't find any of them online!
Can someone help out?
Last edited by deb-ian on 2018-12-22 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: I can't find the wireless card drivers

#2 Post by bw123 »

If you need to have wifi active to install, then it gets tricky. Try reading over the notes in the installation guide here https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 02.html.en

Easier to install with a wired ethernet and setup wireless later.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-iwlwifi
* Intel Wireless 7265D firmware, version 22.391740.0
(iwlwifi-7265D-22.ucode)
* Intel Wireless 7265D firmware, version 29.3e3b4de5.0
(iwlwifi-7265D-29.ucode)
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

deb-ian

#3 Post by deb-ian »

Thank you! What is this "backport"?

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Edit: since you haven't installed Debian yet, you can just download one of the ISOs that already include the firmware files: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

The drivers are already in your kernel, if your device dates back to around the end of 2016 or older. The driver does need firmware-iwlwifi, which can be manually downloaded and installed manually if you depend on wireless for your Net connection. https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-iwlwifi

If your device is newer, then you will need a newer kernel and firmware-iwlfi package from backports.

Firmware is not a driver; it is microcode that the driver loads into the device to get it to run. The iwlwifi driver has a list of acceptable firmware files which is goes down until it finds one that it can load. Most of those were only used internally at Intel and never released to the public, so many Intel wifi user will get those warnings, but they are harmless if it can find acceptable firmware files.

Is your device working despite the warnings?
MX Linux packager and developer

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

deb-ian wrote:Hello to all of you! ♥
I'm a newbie of Debian and Linux's distros in general. ahaha
I'm trying to install Debian 9.6.0 into my machine, but as soon as it start the interface asks me to add some wifi drivers named:

iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-25.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-24.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-23.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-22.ucode

The problem is that I can't find any of them online!
Can someone help out?
In addition to what stevepusser said, iwlwifi-7265D-22.ucode *is* in firmware-iwlfi package. The others aren't (see stevepusser's explanation.)

This is what I get:

Code: Select all

[   10.132002] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode (-2)
[   10.132006] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-26.ucode failed with error -2
[   10.132409] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-7265D-25.ucode (-2)
[   10.132412] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-25.ucode failed with error -2
[   10.132436] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-7265D-24.ucode (-2)
[   10.132438] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-24.ucode failed with error -2
[   10.132460] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-7265D-23.ucode (-2)
[   10.132462] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-7265D-23.ucode failed with error -2
[   10.173466] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware iwlwifi-7265D-22.ucode
Wifi works OK but I still get the other firmware failure messages at boot.

If you are a nwewbie, you may find the following commands useful:

# dmesg
After installing the package, you should see the "firmware: direct-loading firmware" for one of the firmware blobs, or whatever pieces of firmware are called.

Segfault

#6 Post by Segfault »

dmesg is useful command for everybody. I always run it after install to see if anything needs to be improved/corrected. You can pipe it to a pager if video buffer is not big enough for scrollback.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Segfault wrote: ...
You can pipe it to a pager if video buffer is not big enough for scrollback.
I think you should give newbies an example of how to do that if you don't want them to say "WTH!" right off...

# dmesg | less

Segfault

#8 Post by Segfault »

True, thanks!

deb-ian

#9 Post by deb-ian »

Segfault wrote:dmesg is useful command for everybody. I always run it after install to see if anything needs to be improved/corrected. You can pipe it to a pager if video buffer is not big enough for scrollback.
Thank too I'll try it!
stevepusser wrote:
Segfault wrote: ...
You can pipe it to a pager if video buffer is not big enough for scrollback.
I think you should give newbies an example of how to do that if you don't want them to say "WTH!" right off...

# dmesg | less
Ahaha you're right! Better what I have to type to make it work? just "dmeg" or "dmesg | less" is only for that video stuff that you were talking about?
stevepusser wrote:Edit: since you haven't installed Debian yet, you can just download one of the ISOs that already include the firmware files: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

The drivers are already in your kernel, if your device dates back to around the end of 2016 or older. The driver does need firmware-iwlwifi, which can be manually downloaded and installed manually if you depend on wireless for your Net connection. https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-iwlwifi

If your device is newer, then you will need a newer kernel and firmware-iwlfi package from backports.

Firmware is not a driver; it is microcode that the driver loads into the device to get it to run. The iwlwifi driver has a list of acceptable firmware files which is goes down until it finds one that it can load. Most of those were only used internally at Intel and never released to the public, so many Intel wifi user will get those warnings, but they are harmless if it can find acceptable firmware files.

Is your device working despite the warnings?
Thank you for making me understand the difference between firmware and drivers I wasn't aware of that, sorry! Perhaps an admin can change the title of the topic? Thanks if you can :)
And yes! The device works as a charm.

So now I'm trying to install the Debian 9.6.0 trough the cinnamon live ".iso". As said the device works fine and I mange to get the connection to Internet trough my android device in tethering mode. Whit that said I'm no longer trying to get debian recognize the wireless firmware during the installation but afterwards. But I didn't get how to do it... :?

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

You can edit the title of your first post to change the thread title.

If you don't have a Net connection, firmware can also be downloaded and installed from the download link at the bottom of its page at packages.debian.org, such as for firmware-iwlwifi:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-iwlwifi

The deb file can then be installed in a terminal on the target Debian with "dpkg -i" with sudo or as root:

dpkg -i <name-of-deb-file>

deb-ian

#11 Post by deb-ian »

stevepusser wrote:You can edit the title of your first post to change the thread title.

If you don't have a Net connection, firmware can also be downloaded and installed from the download link at the bottom of its page at packages.debian.org, such as for firmware-iwlwifi:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firmware-iwlwifi

The deb file can then be installed in a terminal on the target Debian with "dpkg -i" with sudo or as root:

dpkg -i <name-of-deb-file>
I've solved the whole problem!
Basically I didn't get the fact that I didn't have to extract the firmware from the ".deb"... Because of that the installation process wasn't able to find the firmware... Yeah I know I'm a real noob guys :? ahaha
Thank you to all of you for the help! Now I'm running into another problem after the installation... I'll make a topic soon, I hope that you guys can help there as well