Why would the bootloader install option not appear?

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Why would the bootloader install option not appear?

Postby Rob2D » 2020-02-14 12:49

Hey guys,

Been doing a few Debian installs for the last couple weeks to feel out different environments and one thing I've noticed is that I never get presented with the option of where to install the bootloader. In calamares the box doesn't appear at the bottom, and in the normal installer it just outright skips the bootloader step. Every install video I watch just has it and I even remember seeing it myself a while back.......but now it's gone.

SOLVED:

Enabled Legacy ONLY for grub option.
Last edited by Rob2D on 2020-02-14 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Rob2D

Re: Why would the bootloader install option not appear?

Postby Dai_trying » 2020-02-14 14:42

I got this screen after software installation in a VM, did you not get that?
Dai_trying

Postby thinman » 2020-02-14 14:53

Are you doing a BIOS or a UEFI install? You won't get an option on where to install GRUB on a UEFI install.
thinman

Postby Rob2D » 2020-02-14 15:17

thinman wrote:Are you doing a BIOS or a UEFI install? You won't get an option on where to install GRUB on a UEFI install.

Ah, yes thank you!

BIOS's were set to legacy AND uefi. Changed it to legacy only and all is fine now. Stupid me, that's what I get for assuming it would work!

Cheers guys.
Rob2D

Postby thinman » 2020-02-14 15:38

Excellent. Glad you got it sorted. :)
thinman

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-02-15 11:23

UEFI installations don't ask for a target device because it can only use the EFI system partition and it's trivial to change the boot order afterwards with efibootmgr(8).
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby p.H » 2020-02-15 11:50

thinman wrote:You won't get an option on where to install GRUB on a UEFI install.

Actually you will if you select "expert install" in the Debian installer boot menu or change the question priority to low in the main menu : then it will offer to install GRUB in the removable device path.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:UEFI installations don't ask for a target device because it can only use the EFI system partition

What if there are multiple EFI system partitions ?
Also, the installer could ask which bootloader-id to use instead of "debian" for creating both the subdirectory in /EFI and the boot entry in the EFI boot variables. It would be useful when you install multiple instances of Debian.
p.H

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-02-15 12:37

p.H wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:UEFI installations don't ask for a target device because it can only use the EFI system partition

What if there are multiple EFI system partitions ?

Yes, it would be useful to have a choice in that situation. But some UEFI firmware implementations will only boot from the "first" ESP anyway, AFAIUI.

p.H wrote:the installer could ask which bootloader-id to use instead of "debian" for creating both the subdirectory in /EFI and the boot entry in the EFI boot variables.

What about that bug you reported to Debian involving hard-coded locations for the /EFI subdirectories in the grubx64.efi loader? It had no substantial responses last time I checked. Or am I remembering incorrectly?
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Installation