Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[?]Graphical install possible successfully, but why not ...

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bkpsusmitaa

[?]Graphical install possible successfully, but why not ...

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

... run the installed OS in the same vga=xxx framebuffer mode at least?

Have installed the d-live 10.8.0 lx amd64 on a new HDD with my old problematic HCL Me laptop with the following details here:
http://bit.ly/HCL_Pen2Core

If framebuffer mode is possible for graphical installation, what would be the code line for having the same framebuffer mode graphical browsing in runlevel 5? Have used init to boot in the runlevel 4 and log in to as root. But in the init 4. can't mount usb pendrives, in one of those the nvidia drivers are stored.

Please note that my HCL laptop doesn't require a Lightweight system like Lubuntu. It is quite robust to handle heavyweight operations still. Just that the motherboard audio and video chips are its Achilles heels.

Have studied the grub line of the Read Only write-protected flash USB grub.cfg.
If these lines:

Code: Select all

if loadfont $prefix/font.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=800x600
  set gfxpayload=keep
  insmod efi_gop
  insmod efi_uga
  insmod video_bochs
  insmod video_cirrus
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod png
  terminal_output gfxterm
fi
could be used within the Debian Live Boot Option, then even Debian Live could be used.

BTW, vga=xxx is deprecated, and replaced by gfxmode=hhhxvvvxbb, h=hori, v=ver, b=bit

Also, the grub line on the HDD installed system is differently built up.

There is a problem with the Nouveau open source driver, as mentioned here in FSF report.

Tried with the phrase "nouveau.modeset=0" in grub.cfg with linux. Assuming that gfxmode is run by nouveau, silenced gfxmode or gfx code in grub. But somehow graphics is being loaded somehow, with colour. How to remove all sorts of graphics preloading in grub?

Installed nvidia after nouveau was deactivated using

Code: Select all

nouveau.modeset=0
in grub and by probable silencing of gfx. System crossing init 3 but stalling at an empty screen thereafter, before username, password login screen is presented.

apt-get

In the subsequent days I shall try to get into the task of installing the nvidia driver.

I have posted a related query to Can the latest stable Debian be compelled to run in vesa mode, rather than the motherboard graphics card, if the said card doesn't have drivers available? How?.

Any advice in this regard?
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home