Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Failed to start MokManager: Not found

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Thiemo

Failed to start MokManager: Not found

#1 Post by Thiemo »

Hi

I used to have a Tumbleweed installation but got fed up with frequent boot problems like the topic one on up distribution updates. With the present Mok burp, I wanted to install Debian.

I searched the internet and found a couple of sites stating to rename/copy *.efi files. My problem, however, is that I cannot even boot into another (rescue) system on a USB stick. There is no optical drive. I switched Secure boot on and off to no avail.

My laptop is a Toshiba Portege 230 Z30 (Core i5 4300U 19 GHz).

I would appreciate guidance.

Cheers

Thiemo

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Failed to start MokManager: Not found

#2 Post by sunrat »

I don't understand your problem. You want to install Debian? Why do you need a rescue system? Why do you want to copy .efi files?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Thiemo

#3 Post by Thiemo »

Thanks for getting at me.

Yes, I want to install Debian.
sunrat wrote:Why do you need a rescue system? Why do you want to copy .efi files?
Because a distribution update of Tumbleweed destroyed booting with said error message, I cannot even start from a USB stick. This includes install or rescue systems equally.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

Have you changed the BIOS/Boot Order, so the computer will boot from the USB stick first, before the Hard Drive?

Thiemo

#5 Post by Thiemo »

arochester wrote:Have you changed the BIOS/Boot Order, so the computer will boot from the USB stick first, before the Hard Drive?
I also selected the USB stick from the boot menu. I tried different sticks and Linux types (Debian, OpenSUSE) even a stick with which I installed Windows.

Thiemo

#6 Post by Thiemo »

The image file downloaded correctly according to SHA512 sum.

Thiemo

#8 Post by Thiemo »

Thanks for the URL. I have not got the time to work through. I only read it. I am not aware of the possibility to add boot options to my bios, but I will double-check.

Edit: I double-checked. I do not have the option to add another boot option. I am going to replace the SSD by another one and see what happens then.

Thiemo

#9 Post by Thiemo »

I replaced the SSD but not to much success. It asked me to insert a system disk with every USB stick and iso I threw at it. :( I finally thought of resetting the BIOS settings and now it loaded the graphical installer and the live system of 10.9 LXQT. I could go through the installers (Calamares for the live system I believe) and the one directly from grub boot menu. However, after both installes without noticable error, I am stuck at the system disk prompt again. I changed bios from pure UEFI to CMS and back to no avail. At least, I can boot into a system now but I have no clue about how to fix. I presume it is something with the boot loader.

Any help very welcome